Maho Beach?

glickk

We've always only participated in ship sponsored excursions (other than an on our own taxi ride to beach in cozumel several years ago). Thinking of taking the family (18 and 14 year olds) to Maho Beach using Bernard's Maho BEach only tour. Has anyone done this one (i.e, Maho only without the other stops? thoughts? reviews?). Any issues with getting back to ship on time (we're on allure and sail away is 5 pm)

Any comments and thoughts would be appreciated.

We've always only participated in ship sponsored excursions (other than an on our own taxi ride to beach in cozumel several years ago). Thinking of taking the family (18 and 14 year olds) to Maho Beach using Bernard's Maho BEach only tour. Has anyone done this one (i.e, Maho only without the other stops? thoughts? reviews?). Any issues with getting back to ship on time (we're on allure and sail away is 5 pm)

Not sure how much the excursion is with Bernard but its very simple to get a taxi from the port to Maho Beach and then back. Its about $7-$8 per person each way depending on how many people you have.

I did it in January and loved it. It was definately a fun way to end our cruise.

If you are only going to Maho, no need to take any kind of tour, just take a taxi. Very easy to do. On the way home, give yourselves a lot of time to get back, I would suggest 2 hours minimum. Traffic can be bad. Also make sure the taxi drops you off at the ships, not downtown. A lot of people get dropped off downtown near the beach to do some shopping etc, but it is a 15 to 20 min walk to the ship. Unless you want to do that and have lots of time. There is shopping right at the ship too.

I like ship tours when I am going far away or am on a new island for comfort in know I will get back, but Maho on St Maarten is a very comfortable place for me to taxi to.

It's great fun too! The Sunset bar has food that looks AMAZING! I didn't taste it, but we plan to eat there next time. The ribs just looked and smelled so good! Here are some links to my youtube videos, not the best, but fun to see.

If you are just going to Maho, I wouldn't spend the money for a "tour" to Maho. I believe I was checking out their tour rates a few weeks ago and they wanted some crazy amount (like $45??) for the tour. I guess the only benefit to doing that is you have your own driver waiting on your for whenever you are ready to leave. But then again, catching a taxi at Maho isn't hard. :)

We were there for several hours and watched quite a few planes come in last May. We are going to be back this May! We got a table by the rail and watched from there for the most part, although I did get up and move around in order to find the best vantage point for picture taking. I liked the spot at the very furthest point out and almost over the water the best. I also stepped out on the beach for a couple of jets, but found that the umbrellas blocked my view a bit there.

thanks all! this is helpful.

is the best thing to do just head over and get something to eat at the bar/grill and watch?

The only shade is at the bar, and to get a seat in the shade you would need to be there by midmorning. I can't remember if they rent unmbrellas, It's really fun. The beach is not much for swimming, way to rough, but it's fun if you are a strong enough swimmer, at least it looks fun, I did more falling and flailing than swimming.

The food at the grill is not cheap, not outrageous either, but a few shared plates looked like they had enough food to feed a small group.

The only shade is at the bar, and to get a seat in the shade you would need to be there by midmorning. I can't remember if they rent unmbrellas, It's really fun. The beach is not much for swimming, way to rough, but it's fun if you are a strong enough swimmer, at least it looks fun, I did more falling and flailing than swimming.

The food at the grill is not cheap, not outrageous either, but a few shared plates looked like they had enough food to feed a small group.

They do rent chairs & umbrellas on the beach. I think I paid $20 for 2 chairs and one umbrella. The gentleman who rents them was awesome (can't remember his name) but he was our server too. He was right there when we wanted something and was quick with bringing it back.

I had a great time at Maho and would definately do it again.