Am I the only person who loves Spa treatments but hate the 20 minute hard sell pitch

lwrandall

Every massage I get on board a cruise ship is great until they finish and I get hard pitched to buy some kind of lotion, oil or conditioner. How do you handle this.? I hate being rude and I hate not getting my massage for the fear of getting sold. This is so uncomfortable.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Every massage I get on board a cruise ship is great until they finish and I get hard pitched to buy some kind of lotion, oil or conditioner. How do you handle this.? I hate being rude and I hate not getting my massage for the fear of getting sold. This is so uncomfortable.

Just be kind and say "Thank you but I'm not interested."

Very nicely tell them up front you are not interested in purchasing any products. If you feel funny doing this just put it in writing at the bottom of the paperwork you fill out beforehand. :)

They give you are card to fill out when you go in for the treatment. For YEARS I have written on the card "no sales" and have not had a problem since then.

Thanks for the suggestion of writing "no sales" on the spa info. The hard sales pitch for more treatments and products has taken the relaxation out of the treatments for me! I, too, haven't booked treatments because I have a hard time saying no and feel put in a position of having to buy. I'm going to try that suggestion next time!

They give you are card to fill out when you go in for the treatment. For YEARS I have written on the card "no sales" and have not had a problem since then.

This is what I do as well - so far, it's worked like a charm :)

I think they get a lot of pressure to sell and through experience can tell who are "softies" even if they say NO. I have had lots and lots of massages, facials, etc on cruises and at resorts. I have never had a problem. I look the person in the eye and say, "thank you for the massage or facial, but I have the products at home that I want to use and I am not going to buy anything today. But thank you for a nice treatment. Works for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very nicely tell them up front you are not interested in purchasing any products. If you feel funny doing this just put it in writing at the bottom of the paperwork you fill out beforehand. :)

You are a genius!!!

I haver asked them not to give me a sales pitch but it has not always worked-

I a, going to make a nice little note from now on!

On my last cruise I told them at the time of booking that I just wanted to be pampered prior to my anniversary dinner and I did not want the stress of the sales pitch. Worked great! Enjoyed my treatment and was relaxed when I left i stead if annoyed

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I usually just let them know at the end of the treatment I won't be purchasing anything. If they continue I just say thank you I already have the Elemis products at home. So far I have only had 1 girl who really tried with a hard sell. She didn't really do a good massage and she really kept trying to sell the product. I nicely and firmly told her I already have the products at home I get a massage on the ship in order to spoil myself & get pampered. I will not be purchasing anything. Usually for me its just a thank you and no thank you nicely!

I'm always perplexed by these threads. Why are people so afraid of having a product recommended to them?

I usually listen for up to a minute, and then say I have to fly home, and can't put liquids in my luggage. That ends it altogether, but I may have learned useful information about my skin condition, which I can resolve at my leisure, back home.

Salespeople aren't always the enemy. Sometimes they come bearing educational information which you can use to improve your life. And they offer it without any guarantee you'll ever buy anything from them.

What's wrong with free information?

Stephen

Thank You! I never thought of that. The last cruise I went on they didn't try to sell me lotions, etc. My DH & I were told we were very toxic & sent us for a free consultation with another girl in the fitness center who then proceeded to try to sell us a special drink for a Cleansing. It would only be $200 per month :). My DH was not happy with this form of sales tactic. BTW it was a different cruiseline.

I've stopped having massages on cruises for this very reason! It takes you from a stress-free environment to one that is stressful. Best suggestion I have ever read is to write on the little survey thing prior to going back, "No Sales Pitch" or "Not Interested in Purchasing Anything." The last cruise massage I had, it just went on and on with the different creams, lotions etc. The girl was saying she was so concerned about my problems.

In contrast, my friend was having a massage at the same time with another therapist. She cannot say no to people. Came out with $278 worth of junk.

I usually listen for up to a minute, and then say I have to fly home, and can't put liquids in my luggage. That ends it altogether, but I may have learned useful information about my skin condition, which I can resolve at my leisure, back home.

Salespeople aren't always the enemy. Sometimes they come bearing educational information which you can use to improve your life. And they offer it without any guarantee you'll ever buy anything from them.

I like to listen to the info and dont mind them telling me about the products and what they can do for me. Then I say can you write that down for me so I can think about it. Come home and buy them cheaper online :)

No pressure, no stress.

Writing 'no sales please' on the pre-treatment form worked for me as well. I had as nice a massage as was possible in a room located under the weight room (:eek:) but I truly don't think it was because I wrote that on the form! Any spa client should be able to feel comfortable asking not to be subjected to a 'hard sell'...IMHO!