Xunantunich review 3/6/2014

TMS9539

We went to Xunantunich on a Carnival ship excursion. I went back and forth over whether to do the ship excursion to Xunantunich or a private tour to Lamanai. I really wanted to go to Lamanai but in the end I decided not to risk a private tour because I was too afraid of not making it back in time. It was definitely the right decision. We were on the first tender off the ship, and we didn't get to land until 9am - the time that the private tour would have been leaving, so we would have missed it. Also, we were an hour late getting back but since we were on a Carnival excursion it was not a problem.

The ruins were great. I climbed up the temple, my mother did not. I felt like it wouldn't be worth going if you can't do the climb because half of the tour is climbing the temple, and they didn't do an alternative tour for the people who didn't climb, so they didn't get all the information that was given during the climb. They just had to sit in the shade and wait. However, my mom felt like it was worth and really enjoyed it, so it's a matter of opinion.

Climbing the temple was not difficult. They go really slow and take a lot of breaks while they explain things. If you are extremely afraid of heights you might have a hard time, but the physical part of it is do-able for most people I would think. The elderly and extremely out of shape might have a tough time. Views from the top are awesome.

We heard howler monkeys but didn't see them. We did see a spider monkey hanging out in a tree at the end of the tour.

The drive is long, especially the return trip when you're tired and just want a shower. But I think it was worth it. You really get to see a lot of the country. The poverty is extreme. I found it especially difficult seeing all the dogs and horses with a rope around their neck tied to a tree or a shack. Lunch was good. Portions aren't huge but you're too hot and sticky to be that hungry. That being said, the heat and humidity really weren't bad the day we were there.

Overall I was really glad I went. It's really amazing to experience something that was built thousands of years ago.

Thanks for the review. My DH and I (55 and 49) are going at the end of April. We both are excited about this excursion and thankfully you validated our decision to book through the ship.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

thanks for the review-I wanted to do Lamanai, too, but was having reservations - we usually do independent excursions - you convinced me to go with the ship tour ofXunantunich. I climbed the grand pyramid at Uxmal a few years ago and loved it, so I am looking forward to this one.