Navigator 02-23-2014 Review - Fog Smog

Navigator of the Seas Review– Galveston - February 23, 2014

Embarkation: Leaving from Galveston is always a potential nightmare during early Spring due to fog delays. We have experienced this as late as mid-April. Such was the case for us this time as well. We were texted to arrive no earlier than 4:30. We got there about that time and waited in line until maybe 7ish, I forgot. It was not fun, and it was chaos outside the cruise terminal as always. I think RCCL separates themselves from the outside turmoil and only acknowledges you as being on them once you are inside and past security. It could be handled much better, but after many such cruise delays, I won’t hold my breath. They know that it will all be forgotten by most once everyone’s on the ship. Once through security, we sailed through the non-existent priority line and were on the ship in minutes. We ate a late dinner in the Windjammer along with a crowd (more waiting in line) and were made to leave while halfway through eating to attend muster drill. After the drill we went back and waited in line to get more food and finish eating. A crazy and tiring day! Anyway, we had begun what was to be another great cruise. Everyone received the customary fog delay $20 OBC. The fog risk is worth the trouble to us because the cruises are cheap during this time of year, and we don’t have to worry about flight delays on the way home because we drive so it’s ok.

RCCL: We are one cruise away from being Diamond on Royal and we are Platinum on Carnival, so we always compare, but we love both for different things. They are both great cruises every time. We have been on the Voyager and Mariner out of Galveston in recent years and noticed a few changes on the Navigator. The newly refurbished Navigator is beautiful. I won’t go into it as we have all been following the other threads with pics of the renovations and changes. I used the ITV to track our Sea Pass bill for the first time. I loved it. Very convenient! No wondering what your bill is.

Photos: Now, you can see all your photos from a kiosk and just order what you want. Some are already made and kept in a folder with a number that is on your Sea Pass card. I love this! The photo searching madhouse is no more!

Deck Life and Beach Towels: I have always disliked the way RCCL made you check out towels each day and check them back in. Carnival just puts two in your room and as long as you leave 2 at the end, you are good. No waiting in a line to check out towels. Now, RCCL just gives you towels when you need them and you put them back when you are done! Yay! No card swiping. Love that! The only problem with this is that people left towels laying everywhere and the towel station often ran out of towels, and the staff didn’t know which ones could be picked up and washed because people might be in the pool or at the bar or whatever, so towels everywhere and they ran out. Be sure to pick one up for the next day when you leave and you should be ok. The Deck Party was pathetic! Almost no one even there, no party at all! That is one of our favorite fun nights on Carnival. Everyone goes. The Navigator has one of the new hideous giant TV screens on deck. I absolutely hate them on Carnival. They are loud and annoying all day, but I have to admit that RCCl used it much better. News in the morning as we and others were taking a morning walk. Never saw any sports on it, which I am grateful for. Afternoons had music videos in between the live band music, which was actually nice. Unlike Carnival, it was the perfect volume and not annoying at all. Thankful they still have some live band time outside as Carnival has done away with this. Our Deck time was much enjoyed. The Sports Deck is awesome, especially the Rock climbing wall and new Flow Rider. We didn’t indulge, but they are nice. I’m sure most kids would rather have the Carnival water slide though. We saw the new Deck 12 cabins. They rerouted the walking track and made it shorter to accommodate the new cabins, but it was no big deal and the cabins fit in nicely.

Food: I was not overly impressed with the food, especially in the Windjammer. Same thing every day. Lots of potatoes and pasta. Not much variety or vegetables. I have always thought Carnival had better food and this was no exception. My wife didn’t see any difference. I think the Carnival Lido food is much better, they have a daily theme, an oriental grill, a sandwich shop, Guy’s burgers (which are awesome), plus an all-around good buffet. The Windjammer is greatly lacking in my opinion. ON the other hand, the MDR was fine. The service was excellent in both venues. I especially liked the Escargot, Crab Cake, Beef Tenderloin, and Chicken Marsala. I didn’t care for the Chicken Cordon Bleu. The breads and dessert choices were better than I remember. We like the Promenade Café and it compares to the late night pizza and sandwiches available on Carnival. We do not go to Specialty restaurants, so I can’t comment on them. There were more choices for those who like to spend more for dinner. I can guarantee I would not be any happier or more satisfied if I spent 60 more dollars for dinner. Not possible. MDR is adequate for us, even with its shortcomings. It’s nicer than we are used to.

Shows: We were not overly impressed with the Stage productions, but the Specialty shows were great! The TEXAS TENORS were the showstoppers of the week. Fabulous! Also great was the acrobatic couple from Americas Got Talent and a comedic magician from TX. We really enjoyed these shows which are lacking on Carnival these days now that they only have comedians. It reminded me of the good old days of cruising, when there were no passenger talent show or lip syncing passed off as the evening show. The Skating show is always a treat. We were disappointed that they gave away ALL tickets for ALL 4 shows BEFORE 10AM the first morning! We only got on the ship at 7PM the night before. Geesh! We were with our mothers and really wanted them to see the skating. I asked Guest Services and they gave me 2 tickets. We stood in the standby line and got in with our Mom’s. Poor seats but at least we got in and our Mom’s enjoyed it.

Boleros: We loved the Bolero’s lounge where they had Latin music and dancing each night and we ended each evening there. The staff there was great and we met some great people. I wish I could dance like them.

Roatan: It was beautiful as always. Our 3rd time there. We signed up for the Tabyana Beach Break. It was beautiful, but ridiculously crowded. We were about 10 rows back and could hardly see the water or beach. No umbrellas, so you either baked in the sun or got lucky to be under a palm tree. Lunch was included, but not great, and another ridiculous line to get it. My wife enjoyed a $25 massage under the palms. We will not go back there. Next time, we will go to a more secluded beach. Back at the ship, we walked down the street to Coxen Hole and shopped. We especially enjoyed the “Made in Roatan” shop which is a local ministry that sells items made by locals and gives them the money. Made-in-Roatan dot com. Don’t miss it. We bought some things and they take donations for the people there as well.

Belize: Our second time there. Much more shops at the terminal this time. I enjoy the 30 minute tender ride, but some don’t. Our tour was “A Tale of Two Cities”. It was very good. We were with our Mothers. We rode through town and heard the local history, and then we traveled 1 ½ hours to the Mayan ruins and learned of the ancient city of Altun Ha. It was amazing. It was also 90 degrees in the shade this day. My wife and I climbed to the top of the temple. We have seen many Mayan ruins and they are all unique and all amazing. It is a good tour. During the ride you see a lot of interesting scenery as well.

Cozumel: We have done it all in Cozumel and now we only go to Nachi Cocom. It is an all-inclusive, exclusive, non-crowded, relaxing- on-the- beach day. We will never go anywhere else when in Cozumel. There were, I think, 6 ships in Cozumel and over 20,000 people this day. We expected Nachi Cocom to be full. (Their limit is 100 people). I counted maybe 60, but they said they were sold out, so I don’t know. It was such a nice change from Tabyana in Roatan which was so crowded that it wasn’t worth it. Best Day of the week always. One of our favorite places on Earth.

Debarkation: Compared to embarkation it was on time, quick and easy. We have been using CDP (Cruise Discount Parking) for a couple of years no. Very good service. Convenient and cheap. $35 for the week.

All 17 of our cruises have been great. Any criticism is minor and just for information. We love every minute of every cruise whether Carnival or RCCL. We always have one booked so we can happily work, knowing another fantastic cruise week is out there beckoning to us. Thanks for reading. May all of your cruises be a little slice of Heaven on Earth.

Stewpapa and Julee407

Edited by stewpapa

Great review! We were in Bolero's every evening as well. We saw the dancing couple I think you are referring to...man they could dance! Gina danced with the guy several times cause I can't move like that! Thanks to Myra and Jean-Pierre, two of the bartenders, Bolero's became our nightly hang out!

Pete

Great review! We were in Bolero's every evening as well. We saw the dancing couple I think you are referring to...man they could dance! Gina danced with the guy several times cause I can't move like that! Thanks to Myra and Jean-Pierre, two of the bartenders, Bolero's became our nightly hang out!

Pete

We were at Bolero's every night too! I have a nice pic of both our wives dancing with the guy. LoL

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Hi,

You gave a really great review. You provided info that I will need for my Navigator sailing in May. I do have a few additional questions:

- I'm really big on deck action; was there any kind of a sailaway party with music/dancing going on? I know that you said there was no Deck Party, but was the DJ or band playing ANYTHING on warm sunny days?

- Did the ship have my favorite game, Quest? I never tire of that activity!

- By chance, did you happen to see the dancing activity in the Viking Crown Lounge and if so, was the DJ any good?

- Was there any sign of karaoke in any of the lounges on board?

Thanks for any help that you can give! :cool:

Hi,

You gave a really great review. You provided info that I will need for my Navigator sailing in May. I do have a few additional questions:

- I'm really big on deck action; was there any kind of a sailaway party with music/dancing going on? I know that you said there was no Deck Party, but was the DJ or band playing ANYTHING on warm sunny days? Yes ther was a band a lot.

- Did the ship have my favorite game, Quest? I never tire of that activity! Quest was really CRAZY on the 23rd cruise.

- By chance, did you happen to see the dancing activity in the Viking Crown Lounge and if so, was the DJ any good? Ok DJ with lots of people some nights and slow others.

- Was there any sign of karaoke in any of the lounges on board? Karaoka in the Star lounge.

You will enjoy the whole thing.

We also were on this cruise and agree with many of the comments. There was total chaos outside the port as > 3000 people pushed and shoved to get into the terminal. Our party of 23 all agreed that RRCL did not meet their normally high standards by not having personnel outside the terminal to communicate to and control the crowd. We would not sail out of Galviston again.

Totally agree with the comments regarding the Windjammer. The selection at lunch was the same. Only 2 stations for salad ingredients: line ups long and limited vegetables. Same chocolate chip cookies everyday. By 2 p.m. (Returning time for some tours) there were empty serving dishes. The Main Dining Room was exceptional: the service, the selections, and everyone enjoyed their selections.

The highlight of the entertainment was the Texas Tenors. The other shows were disappointing (except skating for we did not see)

No problem with selecting a deck chair which was refreshing.

Agree with no deck party. Our group went up to party - no one was there!

Many of our group had a sleepless last night due to the 50/50 chance of fog in Galviston and our flight was at 1:15. Thankfully, the fog did not appear and we had no problem catching our flight. The RRCL transfer to Hobby well worth the cost.

Overall our group had a wonderful cruise and look forward to our next RRCL cruise

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Hi,

- I'm really big on deck action; was there any kind of a sailaway party with music/dancing going on? I know that you said there was no Deck Party, but was the DJ or band playing ANYTHING on warm sunny days?

- Did the ship have my favorite game, Quest? I never tire of that activity!

- By chance, did you happen to see the dancing activity in the Viking Crown Lounge and if so, was the DJ any good?

- Was there any sign of karaoke in any of the lounges on board?

Due to fog there was no sailaway party. But on sea days there was some live music and other good music we liked. There was no late night deck party to speak of. Carnival does better there.

The Quest is done in the Skating arena

Viking Crown has a new name. It was a late night disco. Same amazing view and fun.

Saw and heard no karaoke but I'm sure it was somewhere.

Hope you have a great cruise.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app