Currency for Istanbul ?

cathcruise

Hi, could anyone recommend the best currency for taking a taxi in Istanbul please ?

Unsure whether to take Turkish lira or will euros be preferred ?

Many thanks :)

THe official visitor sites take any of the three currencies you mention , so for access to the main sites use the currency you prefer for the cruise, For local spending (cafes bars souvenier shops) I suggest you use Turkish lira.

if you are going to use the local tram system to get around you wil need LIra ( I've included some links to some excellent guids on how to get baround Istantbul using the localtransport. I copied the salient points and found it very easy to get to the sites i wanted to visit)

Below is the price list for the Audio guide for Harem at the Topkai palce where they show the prices in the thee currencies.

LINKS:_____________________

http://www.cruises.co.uk/1228-istanbul_turkey/32311-one_way_do_istanbul.html

http://www.cruises.co.uk/1228-istanbul_turkey/32531-one_way_do_istanbul_second_day.html

http://www.cruises.co.uk/1228-istanbul_turkey/32152-getting_around_istanbul.html

P1030124.jpg

An image of the tramway system map showing the stops for the docks and the Blue Mosque and Topkapi palace, ( on the BLUE line, only 4 or 5 stops apart

istantbultrams.jpg

Hope you enjoy Istanbul .We loved it

Pete

I agree with the others, you'll need lira if you're going out and about on your own rather than on a ship's tour. Some places will accept euros but not everywhere.

Watch out for taxi scamming you by switching - 50 really quickly for a 5'and then claiming you've given him the wrong amount. Got caught once by that trick. They're not all dishonest, far from it, but don't give them a chance. Count the money out to him and keep your eyes on it. Another rick is they claim they don't have change for bigger notes, so have smaller denomination notes.

Enjoy, it's a fabulous city!

Hi, could anyone recommend the best currency for taking a taxi in Istanbul please ?

Unsure whether to take Turkish lira or will euros be preferred ?

Many thanks :)

They will take any currency ("money is money" is a common expression). However, you will always pay less in Turkish Lira, sometimes half as much. Prices are always set in TL so any conversion is an opportunity to round up.

Edited by Skipper Tim

THe official visitor sites take any of the three currencies you mention , so for access to the main sites use the currency you prefer for the cruise, For local spending (cafes bars souvenier shops) I suggest you use Turkish lira.

if you are going to use the local tram system to get around you wil need LIra ( I've included some links to some excellent guids on how to get baround Istantbul using the localtransport. I copied the salient points and found it very easy to get to the sites i wanted to visit)

Below is the price list for the Audio guide for Harem at the Topkai palce where they show the prices in the thee currencies.

LINKS:_____________________

http://www.cruises.co.uk/1228-istanbul_turkey/32311-one_way_do_istanbul.html

http://www.cruises.co.uk/1228-istanbul_turkey/32531-one_way_do_istanbul_second_day.html

http://www.cruises.co.uk/1228-istanbul_turkey/32152-getting_around_istanbul.html

P1030124.jpg

An image of the tramway system map showing the stops for the docks and the Blue Mosque and Topkapi palace, ( on the BLUE line, only 4 or 5 stops apart

istantbultrams.jpg

Hope you enjoy Istanbul .We loved it

Pete

Pete, as always, a gem for the info, links, photos. Would love your thoughts on visiting Izmir.

Pete, as always, a gem for the info, links, photos. Would love your thoughts on visiting Izmir.

Izmir is set on both shores of a large estuary with the cultural area on the southern bank and the modern city / shopping area on the northern bank

At Izmir there are very few options

the excursions were

A) City tour; 3.5hours

B) Ephasus; 5 hours (within that 5 hours are 2 x 1hr coach journeys)

C) St. John's monestary and Mary's House 5 hrs

D) Ephasus and Mary's House. 5.5 hrs

The ship docks on the South side of the inlet where the museums are. The museum of history and art , which was on the city tour, has some interesting artefacts particularly in the Gold jewellery section. the tour then went round the bay to the shopping district and from there it was a ferry ride back to the ship. A pleasant, though not terribly interesting, way of passing 3 - 3.5 hours.

The other major Site is Ephasus. We have been there when having a land based holiday.

It is a fascinating place which is vast and really needs a whole day to see it properly. but if you've never been it is well worth a visit even if you only get 3 hours there.

As to whether it is easy to do DIY I can't really say.

There will be a lot of walking involved in a visit to Ephasus.

I haven't been to Mary's houe so have no idea as to whether it is worth sacrificing time in Ephasus to visit it, I would suggest not.

If you are planning a day on the ship and using the spa facilities this would be the place to do it. especially as they had some special offers on that day on our cruise.

Hope this gives you an insight to Izmir

Izmir is set on both shores of a large estuary with the cultural area on the southern bank and the modern city / shopping area on the northern bank

At Izmir there are very few options

the excursions were

A) City tour; 3.5hours

B) Ephasus; 5 hours (within that 5 hours are 2 x 1hr coach journeys)

C) St. John's monestary and Mary's House 5 hrs

D) Ephasus and Mary's House. 5.5 hrs

The ship docks on the South side of the inlet where the museums are. The museum of history and art , which was on the city tour, has some interesting artefacts particularly in the Gold jewellery section. the tour then went round the bay to the shopping district and from there it was a ferry ride back to the ship. A pleasant, though not terribly interesting, way of passing 3 - 3.5 hours.

The other major Site is Ephasus. We have been there when having a land based holiday.

It is a fascinating place which is vast and really needs a whole day to see it properly. but if you've never been it is well worth a visit even if you only get 3 hours there.

As to whether it is easy to do DIY I can't really say.

There will be a lot of walking involved in a visit to Ephasus.

I haven't been to Mary's houe so have no idea as to whether it is worth sacrificing time in Ephasus to visit it, I would suggest not.

If you are planning a day on the ship and using the spa facilities this would be the place to do it. especially as they had some special offers on that day on our cruise.

Hope this gives you an insight to Izmir

Thanks a mil, Pete. I hadn't expected to get half the info you've given there.

Thanks a mil, Pete. I hadn't expected to get half the info you've given there.

Here is some more info I got from another forum posted by a very knowledgable and respected cruiser

KUSADASI: (Can also do same from IZMIR) As we are not one for Ships Tours and big Coaches this time I had opted for a semi private tour through Ephesusshuttle.com. It appealed as the price was reasonable and they only took a maximum of 20 persons. No payment required upfront – pay on day a cost of 30 Euros or 39 US Dollars. This included transport to Ephesus along with a guide for the duration including around Ephesus itself and the Terraced Houses, all admission fees and a lovely colour souvenir guide book. We ended up in a small group of just 12 for our tour which started at 8.30 from the port and were taken to the top end gate of Ephesus which was a good point to start as then it was all downhill. Being in a small group he was able to keep us altogether and would make sure that when he stopped to talk we were under a tree in the shade and it was easy to hear and ask questions. What I also liked was there was no obligatory ‘Carpet Shop’ stop on the way back, although if anyone was interested he was happy to take them at the end of the tour but no pressure whatsoever. We were back at the port for around 12.30 and back on the ship for Lunch. As a footnote if you are visiting Ephesus yourself by taxi the entrance fee has to be paid in New Turkish Lira, they do not accept Euros but all the shops/bazaars will take anything – Euros or US Dollar.

And here is a link with excellent info on taxis from izmir to Ephasus

http://www.cruises.co.uk/321-introduce_yourself/36025-izmir.html

Pete

Edited by Skier52

Here is some more info I got from another forum posted by a very knowledgable and respected cruiser

And here is a link with excellent info on taxis from izmir to Ephasus

http://www.cruises.co.uk/321-introduce_yourself/36025-izmir.html

Pete

Really appreciate this, Pete. I usually trawl through the forum pages in search of anything that might help to enhance my trips. Unfortunately my laptop seized up recently and the netbook I'm using keeps freezing:eek: