Divina Gereration Teen Club for 14-year old High Schooler?

robinbtigger

I am trying to choose a cruise for our family for the week before Easter 2014. I'm looking at cruises on April 12th - 13th on 3 different lines (Carnival, NCL & MSC). I am considering the Divina because of the awesome pool areas and what appears to be a great selection of vegetarian food for my DD. My daughter is a 14-year old HS Freshman (she'll be 15 in August, 4 months after sailing) and I know that she will not want to be in the 12-14 year old Middle School Y-Club. Will she be allowed in the Generation Teen Club? The MSC booking agent said it would be OK, but I thought I would ask here too. I understand that there are not many planned activities for teens. I think she would just go to the club to meet friends and hang out instead of participating in activities, so that's OK.

FWIW, I have the same issue with Carnival and have read mixed reviews about allowing a 14-year old into the O2 teen club. The Carnival booking agent said "absolutely not". NCL's teen club starts at 14 so that's not an issue.

Thanks for any advise!

This is a tough one because the rules are not always followed depending on the number of children aboard. When there are fewer children, some cruise lines allow it. However, during school breaks when there are a large number of kids onboard, they tend to be stricter with the rules.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Yeah. That's what I'm afraid of :(. Unfortunately, I think that the teen club will make or break my daughter's cruise. She swims competitively with 7th and 8th graders in her age group and gets along with them fine, but I think she really wants to hang out with other high school kids on our cruise. I'll talk to her again about it tonight. I really like the looks of the Divina, but we might have to go with the NCL Dawn.

Yeah. That's what I'm afraid of :(. Unfortunately, I think that the teen club will make or break my daughter's cruise. She swims competitively with 7th and 8th graders in her age group and gets along with them fine, but I think she really wants to hang out with other high school kids on our cruise. I'll talk to her again about it tonight. I really like the looks of the Divina, but we might have to go with the NCL Dawn.

No matter which cruise you choose, you will have fun, I'm sure. We have a 14 yr old son. He's not *thrilled* with having to be with more middle schoolers than high schoolers (he's in 9th grade), but he usually meets some older kids around the ship or in the arcade during the cruise. (Boys are SO easygoing).

Speaking of swimming competitively, where are you from? Do you know of Matthew Hirschberger? He is the boys’ 13-14 national age group record holder in the men’s 1000-yard freestyle and has gone to school with my son since preschool. Matthew recently moved to Maryland to train and go to school. I have such respect for young swimmers! They have such drive and determination. I know Matthew would wake up at 4am to go to swim practice every morning before school AND he got straight A's. Unbelievable. Such a great sport for kids!

No matter which cruise you choose, you will have fun, I'm sure. We have a 14 yr old son. He's not *thrilled* with having to be with more middle schoolers than high schoolers (he's in 9th grade), but he usually meets some older kids around the ship or in the arcade during the cruise. (Boys are SO easygoing).
I bet that my daughter would have been fine with younger kids, but she's convinced that she won't. She isn't very easygoing :p.

Speaking of swimming competitively, where are you from? Do you know of Matthew Hirschberger? He is the boys’ 13-14 national age group record holder in the men’s 1000-yard freestyle and has gone to school with my son since preschool. Matthew recently moved to Maryland to train and go to school. I have such respect for young swimmers! They have such drive and determination. I know Matthew would wake up at 4am to go to swim practice every morning before school AND he got straight A's. Unbelievable. Such a great sport for kids!
We're from Wisconsin and my DD swam last year with NAG 13-14/15-16 100 Butterfly record holder Beata Nelson. I just looked Matthew up. Amazing! We were in your neck of the woods last year for Spring Break for the NASA Showcase Classic over at the Doyle Aquatic Center. Apparently, I saw Matthew swim because he was at the meet. For the girls on my DD's team it was all about 13-year old Michael Andrew at that meet. He has systematically taken down NINE 13-14 records. Unfortunately, we changed teams and our new team doesn't do NASA ... luckily that leaves more time to cruise! We wanted to last year but my DD had to train for the NASA meet instead.