Do you get travel insurance??

cmoose

Okay, wow. Did you really go there? It's time for me to check out of this thread.

However, if my 85 year old dad has a heart attack or stroke before the May grand family cruise, I can assure you that nobody in my family (as dysfunctional as it is) is going to be whining about missing their one week cruise.

Everyone in my family has paid for the cruise, ergo, yes, they can afford the cruise loss.

If you 85 year old dad had a heart attack and died 3 days before the cruise would the rest of the family still have gone on the cruise? If he had a stroke on the way to the cruise would the rest of the family still have gone? Could the rest of those traveling on the family cruise also have been able to afford the cruise loss?

In 2012 I had just made the final payment for our cruise. When we were a month away from the cruise, I tripped, fell and fractured my foot! I had to have major surgery right away to pin it back together, making it impossible to go on the cruise. Did I ever think that something like this would happen to me? Nope, but I do like to plan for the unforeseen , so I did purchase the insurance as I usually do. Because we had the insurance, it covered us so that we did not lose what we had paid for the cruise! Cruising soon with the insurance in my back pocket just in case!

Okay, my feeling about insurance is that you should only take out insurance if you cannot survive the loss of whatever is being insured. Health insurance is necessary, so is auto insurance. Medical malpractice insurance. All of these can bankrupt an individual. Life insurance, meh. Depends upon your circumstances. I know this will get lost in translation, but by definition, all folks who have paid $3000 for a cruise can afford to lose $3000 on a cruise. They do not need insurance to cover the $3000 loss. They have already paid the $3000! They can afford to take the loss! (Does this make any sense?)

I do understand what you are trying to say but still disagree.

We spend several thousands a year for travelling but simply can't afford pay that money and get nothing in return -- it's ok to spend the money within the budget but it definitely must have ROI. Being able to take vacations from high-stress jobs (we are serial entrepreneurs still waiting to stumble upon the big break) is just as important to mental health as being able to eat food is to physical health.

The fact that someone has budgeted and/or paid something, doesn't automatically mean that they can afford not to get anything in return just because they have parted with their money in advance. With that analogy you could say that after paying the deposit for a house one could just as well survive not getting it back for any reason because they had enough money to pay it to begin with.

Edited by Demonyte

Okay, wow. Did you really go there? It's time for me to check out of this thread.

However, if my 85 year old dad has a heart attack or stroke before the May grand family cruise, I can assure you that nobody in my family (as dysfunctional as it is) is going to be whining about missing their one week cruise.

Everyone in my family has paid for the cruise, ergo, yes, they can afford the cruise loss.

I only went there because I was pointing out the benefits of insurance. If I had said had an emergency appendectomy would that have been better? If so just substitute that for heart attack Also would they leave the ship in port to stay with dad if he took ill on an island? Can they afford that? They certainly can't all be medi vaced

Your grand famy cruise is the perfect scenario where everyone should have insurance. Families with kids under 17 usually get free insurance for them you know.

Do some research on policies and wouldn't each family pay their own premium anyway?

Sorry if I don't keep my head in the sand regarding the many reasons that people buy travel insurance. I use common sense and traveling with an 85 yo or a large group has certain real issues attached.

Edited by Crusin6

I do understand what you are trying to say but still disagree.

We spend several thousands a year for travelling but simply can't afford pay that money and get nothing in return -- it's ok to spend the money within the budget but it definitely must have ROI. Being able to take vacations from high-stress jobs (we are serial entrepreneurs still waiting to stumble upon the big break) is just as important to mental health as being able to eat food is to physical health.

The fact that someone has budgeted and/or paid something, doesn't automatically mean that they can afford not to get anything in return just because they have parted with their money in advance. With that analogy you could say that after paying the deposit for a house one could just as well survive not getting it back for any reason because they had enough money to pay it to begin with.

Or you could say that if someone can afford the loss of a cruise then they can also afford last minute return airfare in case of emergency and they can also afford a 2 week hospital stay in a foreign country and hotel rooms for family member staying with them plus food etc

Travel insurance is as important as car and home insurance. Imho

Too often have I encountered people that just do not realize costs. People are traveling solo so don't understand that others need to be considered. Parents. Children everyone who may impact your travels

There is no way I would not buy Insurance as we are a family of 6 and anything is possible.

Those that travel solo or a couple that have no kids or parents to worry about sometimes don't understand.

Edited by Crusin6

I NEVER travel without travel insurance - it is meant to cover UNEXPECTED expenses if something happens during travel.

Accidents can happen to everyone everywhere - it does NOT only happen to people who have a bad health....!

You could fall somewhere on board and break your arm or leg, and that would cost you thousands of $$$. Your luggage could get lost on board - it does not happen often but it HAS happened and NCL only covers $100 per suitcase if it is lost or damaged. Things might occur before you leave (sickness, death in family) that prevent you from doing the cruise, and after final payment date you will loose money if you have to cancel for any reason unless you have a travel insurance that covers it.

Yes, you are right about that you don't need a travel insurance before you need it - but IF you need it and you aren't insured that could cost you plenty of $$$. Better safe than sorry......

I would argue that everyone who can afford the cruise can, technically, afford the cruise loss. It's only a few thousand dollars at most. It might sting, but no one is going to go broke over it.

I would also argue that there are other things that could go wrong, things that are not as remote as being struck by a meteorite, that would hurt a bit more if not insured. Medical issues in foreign countries are at the top of that list, and you don't need to be elderly to break a bone or hit your head or have a concussion. I rarely use my own health insurance at home. I've had one auto insurance claim in my entire life. I've had one homeowner's insurance claim in my entire life. I still don't go without it. Travel insurance is so incredibly cheap. I cannot imagine why I would even consider going without it. It's cheaper than what I'll pay for the Chef's Table next week for only one person. It seems incredibly illogical for me to not take it.

Please don't feign insult when another poster asks what you would do if your elderly father should pass away before a cruise. It's not taboo. It could happen, sadly, and is absolutely relevant to the discussion. And yet you think it's somehow off limits, whereas you basically called 90 posters idiots, and somehow that's ok?

I have invested in my motorcycle about the same amount of money as my next cruise. I have full coverage insurance, not just liability. In NH we need neither. Is that stupid? It is paid for, the money already spent.

If you can afford the travel insurance and there is ANY chance something could happen I feel it would be in anyones best intrest to get it. Better to loose say $320 than upto $4500 or more.

I would argue that everyone who can afford the cruise can, technically, afford the cruise loss. It's only a few thousand dollars at most. It might sting, but no one is going to go broke over it.

I would also argue that there are other things that could go wrong, things that are not as remote as being struck by a meteorite, that would hurt a bit more if not insured. Medical issues in foreign countries are at the top of that list, and you don't need to be elderly to break a bone or hit your head or have a concussion. I rarely use my own health insurance at home. I've had one auto insurance claim in my entire life. I've had one homeowner's insurance claim in my entire life. I still don't go without it. Travel insurance is so incredibly cheap. I cannot imagine why I would even consider going without it. It's cheaper than what I'll pay for the Chef's Table next week for only one person. It seems incredibly illogical for me to not take it.

Please don't feign insult when another poster asks what you would do if your elderly father should pass away before a cruise. It's not taboo. It could happen, sadly, and is absolutely relevant to the discussion. And yet you think it's somehow off limits, whereas you basically called 90 posters idiots, and somehow that's ok?

You're wasting your breath. I've been on these boards for a few years and this trip insurance question comes up multiple times a year and the one common thread in all those discussions is someone like this. I'd bet the farm that this guy has life insurance and house insurance. Following his train of thought you'd think he'd shun it all but he doesn't. He wouldn't want to put his family in a perilous state for the want of an insurance policy.

When it comes to insurance you run into people who simply are too cheap to spend the $100 or so to get cheap insurance and use the "insurance is a scam" scenario to back them up. No question about it, the huge majority of us will never use it and in the long run will be out money. But as I said in a previous argument - its not about how much you spend its what you are gambling on that matters. If there was a hard cap on medical expenses of say $5000 then I could see someone saying its worth the gamble but there is no cap as we all know.

Normal healthy people get hurt, they break bones, they get hit by cars, they have sudden illnesses that cause serious issues. A medi-vac from a cruise ship followed by surgery or an extended stay in a hospital is easily going to approach $50-100K - the medi-vac alone is $25K. I don't think its worth gambling my financial future on $100. Its plain dumb to do so but guys like this will do it and they'll be the first to whine and cry about it when it happens. Never fails. How many times have we all heard about that "poor family who lost everything because they didn't have house insurance".

My suspicion is that people who argue this line of thought probably can't afford the trip in the first place and the added burden of $100 for trip insurance is enough to push them over the edge. Its the same discussion I see with people who ask "should I fly in the day before my cruise in the middle of winter". If a hotel the night before your cruise is a burden, you shouldn't be on the cruise.

Edited by nbsjcruiser

... Following his train of thought you'd think he'd shun it all but he doesn't. He wouldn't want to put his family in a perilous state for the want of an insurance policy.

Normal healthy people get hurt, they break bones, they get hit by cars, they have sudden illnesses that cause serious issues. A medi-vac from a cruise ship followed by surgery or an extended stay in a hospital is easily going to approach $50-100K - the medi-vac alone is $25K. I don't think its worth gambling my financial future on $100. Its plain dumb to do so but guys like this will do it and they'll be the first to whine and cry about it when it happens. Never fails. How many times have we all heard about that "poor family who lost everything because they didn't have house insurance".

'

Firstly no country's CG charges to evacuate people from the ship. Its the evac from the hospital on shore back to the person's home country that can be costly. or the ambulance from the ship to the hospital when its in port.

Life Insurance and Property insurance are no where as profitable as travel insurance to the insurance company. Payouts for life and property insurance are about 75% of premiums(over time-generally not the first few years of most life insurance policies). Payouts for Travel insurance are in the 40% range.

Edited by smeyer418

'

Firstly no country's CG charges to evacuate people from the ship. Its the evac from the hospital on shore back to the person's home country that can be costly. or the ambulance from the ship to the hospital when its in port.

Life Insurance and Property insurance are no where as profitable as travel insurance to the insurance company. Payouts for life and property insurance are about 75% of premiums(over time-generally not the first few years of most life insurance policies). Payouts for Travel insurance are in the 40% range.

Ok so travel insurance is profitable for the insurance company. Good I want the company I buy it from to be financially healthy. So they can pay my claim should I file one. I like the fact that we are a capitalist society

However I am not risking my nest egg because I don't want to pay $100 to a profit making company. Lol

Bottom line is those pax without assets really have nothing to lose and probably don't care about paying hospital bills here at home because they get treated in an emergency regardless

Try not paying in Nassau and it is a very different story

This whole thing is so silly. Travel insurance is just a cost of vacationing

I just paid $122 to cover 4 of us on a trip to Disney. Disney has an interesting cancellation policy which I do not care for so I bought 3 rd party insurance

I also am concerned about lost or delayed luggage and flights as we always check at least one piece among us and have experience with being delayed in returning due to a hurricaine we were delayed by 4 days and were totally reimbursed our additional costs because we had travel Insurance

Should we need to return early my dis tix are covered as is the hotel cost and the increased cost of the flight back. Among other things

And I stay on property but if I were renting a condo and cancelled all the more reason for the insurance

If we don't use the very expensive dis park tickets I will get cash back from insurance rather than a silly park day credit that will cost me a fortune to use at some future point.

Just sayin this because posters seem to think it is all about canceling before the cruise but it ain't always that way! Lol

Edited by Crusin6

In the 16 years we have been married and traveling frequently we have never bought insurance since we never had any issues. Then 2 years ago we took a 10 day ncl cruise booked thru our always used TA. I decided to buy insurance for the first time that trip. Boy was I glad we did. We were at the airport, on the plane, on the run-way, next in line to take off. The pilot announces a engine warning light came on and it would be 10 minutes for maintenance to re-set the light (yea right). Long story short, headed back to the terminal, got off the plane and had to wait for the airline to find another plane to take us to Miami. By the time we boarded the second plane, we should have already been landing. Finally got to Miami, to the cruise port 45 minutes before the scheduled departure. Only to find out that we were not allowed to board the ship. Its a terrible feeling watching "your" cruise ship sail away without you on it. We ended up spending the night in Miami. Then took a flight to the Dominican Rep the following day to catch up with the ship the day after that. Which is another story in itself. Thankfully, travel insurance covered the cost of our little adventure which was approx $2100. I will never travel without it again. But I can see how people feel these days about being pestered to purchase protection for just about everything. From appliances, to our cars and homes, and yes, even vacations.

The problem with this question, like so many others asked on here, is that there isn't a yes/no answer. It depends on the circumstances.

Each potential insurance policy needs looking at individually. Extended warranties on household appliances are an insurance policy, and mast people decide to effectively self insure. What they save on premiums more than makes up for having to replace a few things. On the other hand, household or card insurance is essential, regardless of legal requirements, as the potential downside is ruinous.

Having said that, many people don't have household insurance, and many get caught out because of that. I have little sympathy with that, they took a gamble with stakes they couldn't afford.

Holiday insurance is a different matter. We take regular holidays in this country, and I never take out any insurance on them that people invariably try to include in the cost. By now, I am well up on that deal, and I can afford the loss of my money if I ever had to cancel.

I effectively self insure on my airfare and hotels, where I take cheap non refundable rates some way in advance. Again, I'm well up on the deal.

I would never travel to a country which doesn't offer me free medical cover without insurance (i.e. the US). However, I have travelled to Europe many times without any insurance. I'm covered for medical and getting back to the UK isn't a problem.

Again, with cruises it depends on many things. I probably wouldn't insure an Epic cruise in the Med for the reasons outlines about Europe above. By the same logic, does a US citizen need insurance when doing an Alaska cruise? Other than one port they are in the US when on land.

It also depends how much the cruise cost. It would be rather easier to deal with the loss of a 7 day inside cabin out of Miami in the off season than it would be for an Owners Suite in School Holidays.

As it is, I have annual cover so don't need to make these individual decisions, but I can see why some people would decide to take the risk not to cover themselves in some instances. Likewise, anyone who is travelling some distance too countries where they may not get free medical cover is taking a big risk.

Just one final point. A few years ago, my father suffered a heart attack when on holiday in New Zealand. His treatment cost nothing, but his travel insurance flew me over there and back (in business class), provided hotel accommodation for as long as was needed, along with cash allowances and many other things. All the costs were covered, which totalled around £20,000 ($30,000). His health insurance made the whole episode a lot easier and saved us all that money. To say I was pleased he was covered is an understatement.

I truly think that your estimates about most folks here and what they can afford are way off. Good for you if your situation is like that but I don't believe that you are in majority here.

I think pex was more likely to be right than not about the majority of cruisers here being able to afford a $3k loss. Most are repeat cruisers who could afford to lose one cruise without serious financial impact.

Edited by dwjoe

In the 16 years we have been married and traveling frequently we have never bought insurance since we never had any issues. Then 2 years ago we took a 10 day ncl cruise booked thru our always used TA. I decided to buy insurance for the first time that trip. Boy was I glad we did. We were at the airport, on the plane, on the run-way, next in line to take off. The pilot announces a engine warning light came on and it would be 10 minutes for maintenance to re-set the light (yea right). Long story short, headed back to the terminal, got off the plane and had to wait for the airline to find another plane to take us to Miami. By the time we boarded the second plane, we should have already been landing. Finally got to Miami, to the cruise port 45 minutes before the scheduled departure. Only to find out that we were not allowed to board the ship. Its a terrible feeling watching "your" cruise ship sail away without you on it. We ended up spending the night in Miami. Then took a flight to the Dominican Rep the following day to catch up with the ship the day after that. Which is another story in itself. Thankfully, travel insurance covered the cost of our little adventure which was approx $2100. I will never travel without it again. But I can see how people feel these days about being pestered to purchase protection for just about everything. From appliances, to our cars and homes, and yes, even vacations.

If you want to buy insurance for the peace of mind of covering a $2k cost - go ahead - but understand that's what you're paying for. From a strict financial risk/benefit perspective, buying cancelation insurance to cover against one $2k loss in 16 years of traveling is a bad bet.

Medical and medevac coverage is different - those costs can reach into the tens of thousands.

Edited by dwjoe

We never do... until now, but was "denied". I'm pregnant so we wanted to be sure to get insurance just in case. Turns out there is no cruise insurance that covers pregnancy, not even the pricy cancel for "ANY" reason...any reason BUT pregnancy complications or related issues!! :mad:

We were able to find a medical insurance ($45) just in case I have an issue while away that our insurance wouldn't cover. But even that has limits on what & how much it will cover due to pregnancy. :rolleyes:

After looking into it so much, can't help but feel like they're part scam artists.

To each their own.

We take the risk & so far so good...10 cruises later. That's a lot of money saved.

Edited by MissMet

Have any of you bought MASA? What do you think of it?

http://www.masaassist.com/

We use something somewhat similar: MedJetAssist

The big difference that I spotted right away is that if you are hospitalized away from home, and need "specialized [underlining in the original] treatment not available locally", then MASA will fly you to the NEAREST medical facility suitable. [Please see link for exact wording.]

On the other hand, MedJetAssist will fly you to THE HOSPITAL OF YOUR CHOICE, without requiring any medical personnel to attest that such care is needed, and even if there is "suitable care" closer than where you want to go (such as to a hospital near your home, or perhaps a specialized world-class hospital, etc.).

One must be at least 150 miles from home for this coverage to kick in.

We don't want others to have to pass judgment about whether the local facility provides suitable/specialized care that is sufficient, etc. And if not, we don't want to be transferred to the closest satisfactory facility.

However, MASA does seem to offer a lot of other services, but we get most of those through the regular travel insurance if out of USA/Canada, and from our own medical insurance if within USA/Canada.

But it's good to know about the various vendors and types of coverage.

GeezerCouple

If you want to buy insurance for the peace of mind of covering a $2k cost - go ahead - but understand that's what you're paying for. From a strict financial risk/benefit perspective, buying cancelation insurance to cover against one $2k loss in 16 years of traveling is a bad bet.

Medical and medevac coverage is different - those costs can reach into the tens of thousands.

The poster you quote said he only bought it once in 16 years. So his return on investment was actually incredible and he made a very good choice to buy it

However if he had said he bought it every year for 16 years and only used it once that would be different

Also isnt most insurance purchased for peace of mind? Other than required auto liability insurance isn't auto and home owners and life insurance all for peace if mind? For the security it may be able to provide?

And don't most if us pay more in premiums than we will ever get back?

I am well aware how much of the first years premiums go to the salesperson as commission on life insurance but that doesn't negate the fact that a young family will benefit if a young parent drops dead.

Most thankfully will never benefit and yes that is good for the insurance companies.

I also doubt that the regular guy actually knows what the real business of insurance companies is. Paying your claims is secondary. Real estate investment is their primary business.

Edited by Crusin6

We just bought it for the first time. With so many moving parts to the trip, it seemed like a worthwhile investment. My parents are coming to watch our kids...what if they miss flights, get sick, etc. What if our kids get sick? What if we miss a connection flying to the port, etc. Lots of what ifs, so we bought it at what I thought was a pretty good rate through the TA we booked with.

We just bought it for the first time. With so many moving parts to the trip, it seemed like a worthwhile investment. My parents are coming to watch our kids...what if they miss flights, get sick, etc. What if our kids get sick? What if we miss a connection flying to the port, etc. Lots of what ifs, so we bought it at what I thought was a pretty good rate through the TA we booked with.

Good move! Just an FYI for the future insuremytrip.com is better priced and you can tailor your policy to what your specific needs are. Many more choices than what your ta offered as he/she probably only has one or two types of policies for sale.

Also no ta commission on the sale.

Which is what you essentially gave your ta by getting insurance through them

I buy travel guard policies. Usually the silver policy. You buy in $500 increments. Buy within 14 days of initial trip deposit and pre existing are covered.

Edited by Crusin6

The poster you quote said he only bought it once in 16 years. So his return on investment was actually incredible and he made a very good choice to buy it

That's luck. Doesn't make it a good investment.

Also isnt most insurance purchased for peace of mind? Other than required auto liability insurance isn't auto and home owners and life insurance all for peace if mind? For the security it may be able to provide?

Life and liability insurance are totally different than trip cancelation coverage. Life and liability usually cover you for HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS. So that in the event of an extremely remote disaster happening, you aren't financially ruined. Trip cancelation coverage is not in the same ballpark.

And don't most if us pay more in premiums than we will ever get back?

Right. Which is why you shouldn't buy more insurance than you need.

The key is to insure against risks that you can't comfortably absorb on your own. When it comes to cruising, the major risks are medical and evacuation expenses. Trip cancelation is a much smaller risk.

Edited by dwjoe

That's luck. Doesn't make it a good investment.

Life and liability insurance are totally different than trip cancelation coverage. Life and liability usually cover you for HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS. So that in the event of an extremely remote disaster happening, you aren't financially ruined. Trip cancelation coverage is not in the same ballpark.

Right. Which is why you shouldn't buy more insurance than you need.

The key is to insure against risks that you can't comfortably absorb on your own. When it comes to cruising, the major risks are medical and evacuation expenses. Trip cancelation is a much smaller risk.

So you are saying that one should just buy medical and evac trip Iinsurance then? Ok I see your point but I prefer to Insure my $10000 med cruises and $6000 airfares for cancellation as well.

Just because I am willing to spend $16000 at a minimum to take the 6 if us to Europe every 4 years doesn't mean I can afford to lose it if we have to cancel if one if us or an immediate relative gets ill hurt or worse.

Remember not everyone travels solo or as a couple. Those if us that bring families know that cancellation is a possibility and prepare for it.

And honestly I would be the fool to not insure a $16000 trip. I bought $20000 in coverage for $400 last trip. That us less than $75 a person and I don't consider it an investment by any means. I consider it a cost of doing business. Which is Travel and making memories!

Fwiw. I still think some posters here might be thinking in terms if $279 cruises out of Miami and they don't bother to insure them for cancellation. I am thinking much more expensive cruises.

Edited by Crusin6

It all comes down to what risk you are personally willing to assume personal responsibility for. I know in our country (for those of us in the USA) the whole concept of personal responsibility has been swept away by the current state of the federal government, but that is realy what it comes down to. Think about all of the possible negative things that might impact yoru cruise. Then consider the cost of insuring against any of them happening. Is that cost worth you not having to assume personal responsibility for any or all of the negative events form happening. For some it will be a clear yes, for otehr a clear no, and for most it will be smewhere in between.

Good move! Just an FYI for the future insuremytrip.com is better priced and you can tailor your policy to what your specific needs are. Many more choices than what your ta offered as he/she probably only has one or two types of policies for sale.

Also no ta commission on the sale.

Which is what you essentially gave your ta by getting insurance through them

I buy travel guard policies. Usually the silver policy. You buy in $500 increments. Buy within 14 days of initial trip deposit and pre existing are covered.

Just as your cruise cost the same through a TA as it would through the cruise line so does the insurance. You are only allowing the insurance company to keep the commissionable portion for themselves. TA's may have more options then you realize. There are always exceptions but few.