Taking Alcohol on Board

seattlejeff

Carnival suggests that once you claim your baggage at the airport that you LOCK it before you pass it over to them to distrubute on the ship. So, I don't know if they scan these bags or not. The carry on bag is scanned before you board the ship, but I've known a couple who still got a coule of small bottles through the scan. Once you dock at a port and buy liquor, your shopping bags and beach bags are scanned, and I saw the staff tagging the liquor to be picked up by the buyer upon leaving the cruise.

There are shops aboard the ships that sell liquor-but, if you buy it, they hold it until the cruise is over.

Besides wine, what are the rules for carrying on a pint of rum or something. My friend smuggled on a 2 liter of vodka in a sprit bottle and they didn't check.

Is that normal? Do they check suitcases?

Thanks!

Put liquor in your checked luggage and wine or beer in your carryon.

Customs checks you checked luggage for contraband (WMDs) and they don't care if you have liquor in your bag.

We just left it in the original container and it was fine.

Check with Carnaval as far as purchasing bottles on the ship. On RCCL you buy the liquor, pay $10 corkage fee and take it back to your room. It still works out cheaper than smuggling it on. Princess allows you to purchase bottles through room service to enjoy in your room. A liter of Absolut goes for $22 through room service. That is cheaper than what I can get it for in Northern VA. No need to smuggle for us. Princess allows you to take wine and champagne on the ship. Last year we brought 5 bottles and this year we will bring a few more.

Does anyone know how much is a "reasonable amount of soda and wine"? How much have you taken on before? I was going to take coke, soda, and cranberry juice (because i cannot live without that stuff).... and maybe a few bottles of wine since it is our honeymoon cruise. :p

Archived