Quantum Virtual Balconies

I'm booked on Quantum's maiden voyage in November :) and am excited to try out the interior stateroom with a virtual balcony.

However, from everything I've read, the virtual balcony will only be forward- or aft-"facing". This would be fine and make sense if all of the cabins are set up like on Deck 12 (lengthwise parallel with the ship), but the vast majority of inside cabins are oriented like outside cabins (lengthwise perpendicular with the side of the ship) :confused:.

Common sense and "simulation" would have the screen be at the end of the cabin (port- or starboard-"facing"), but nothing I've seen seems to indicate this is the case. From what I can tell of early pictures on Navigator, the screen is smack dab in the middle of the room - which makes no sense what-so-ever and kills whatever illusion RCI is trying to create.

Am I incorrect here?? Does anyone else share my feelings??

I'm booked on Quantum's maiden voyage in November :) and am excited to try out the interior stateroom with a virtual balcony.

However, from everything I've read, the virtual balcony will only be forward- or aft-"facing". This would be fine and make sense if all of the cabins are set up like on Deck 12 (lengthwise parallel with the ship), but the vast majority of inside cabins are oriented like outside cabins (lengthwise perpendicular with the side of the ship) :confused:.

Common sense and "simulation" would have the screen be at the end of the cabin (port- or starboard-"facing"), but nothing I've seen seems to indicate this is the case. From what I can tell of early pictures on Navigator, the screen is smack dab in the middle of the room - which makes no sense what-so-ever and kills whatever illusion RCI is trying to create.

Am I incorrect here?? Does anyone else share my feelings??

My understanding is they did it the way they did so they could utilize a larger wall for the simulation. Not the same layout as a real balcony, but I'm not sure there was another way they could logically do it.

Edited by Dave85

My understanding is they did it the way they did so they could utilize a larger wall for the simulation. Not the same layout as a real balcony, but I'm not sure there was another way they could logically do it.

I just don't understand why all of their marketing materials thus far show the virtual balcony in a setup lengthwise (with the screen on one of the short walls). If Quantum is the example, and 70% of the staterooms are not in that configuration, why market it as such?

Perhaps we'll get more detail on the 26th, but it's just odd and kind of frustrating!

I just don't understand why all of their marketing materials thus far show the virtual balcony in a setup lengthwise (with the screen on one of the short walls). If Quantum is the example, and 70% of the staterooms are not in that configuration, why market it as such?

Perhaps we'll get more detail on the 26th, but it's just odd and kind of frustrating!

Yeah, I think we need to wait for more info. Like so much else with the Mystery Ship, we may just need to wait and hear more about what the final product will look like. RCI's earliest marketing materials haven't always been 100% spot on with the finished product.

Remember, the Navigator of the Seas was retrofitted with the technology using existing rooms. The typical interior room features the head of the bed up against the short wall while balconies and these virtual balconies have the head of the bed against the long wall. With Quantum having these virtual balconies from day 1 they probably have the interior cabins setup like a balcony with the virtual balcony at the end.

Surely the TV screens will either be facing to the Port or Starboard and be

hooked up to camera's on the Port or Starboard Sides.

Otherwise Sea Sickness is guaranteed.

I can't see that they would be facing to the bow (front) or stern (back) as

pitching is far less a problem

But who knows (or care's)

Clearly I care because I made the post, haha. Royal Caribbean posted on its official blog that the cameras are at the bow and stern, explicitly excluding port and starboard.

I think it only makes sense for them to change it so it's like a real balcony stateroom, but my guess is that they're too far along in the development process for that. Royal Caribbean has been very deliberate in the information they post, so I doubt that is still up in the air.

Does anyone aside from me have a preference here?

I watched an interview on television in which the engineers responsible for the design and placement of the virtual balconies explained why and how they arrived at the final locations for both the cameras and the placement of the screens within the cabins. According to them, they collaborated with medical experts on the effects of visual stimulation and body movement affect the human body along with engineering experts from MIT and another top school (can't remember the name) to arrive at the placement that would most replicate the experience of a real balcony.

MMM ;)

I think that RCI is telling fibs in regards to Quantum class

1 Nearly all cabins face Port or Starboard on all ships

2 There are hundreds of articles stating that if you suffer

.. from sea sickness look out to the horizon to help your sea sickness

3 Any project is as good as the silliest person involved.

4 But MIT and RCI are involved so why would we be suprissed as

.. they are Yanks

It seems to me this question should be asked on the main RCL board. There currently are Navigator cruisers who are experiencing these virtual balconies. They would know the room balcony wall placements and camera angles. With valid opinions.