Do I have enough time to catch my Bus? Vancouver

joeyillinois

How long to get through customs & lines? The ship HAL Volendam gets into Vancouver at 7 AM. Would I have enough time to catch a 11:30 AM Thruway Amtrak Bus (from Vancouver to Seattle) after going through customs. Is this close to public transportation, or would I need a taxi to get to the bus?or maybe it's at the train station?

How long to get through customs & lines? The ship HAL Volendam gets into Vancouver at 7 AM. Would I have enough time to catch a 11:30 AM Thruway Amtrak Bus (from Vancouver to Seattle) after going through customs. Is this close to public transportation, or would I need a taxi to get to the bus?or maybe it's at the train station?

Ample time. 11:30am is the commonly-accepted earliest time to confidently book a flight out of YVR. The Amtrak buses go from Pacific Central train station (five minutes drive instead of 30 from the pier), and for buses you don't go through immigration at the train station - the driver merely asks you to show them your passport as you hand over your ticket to get on.

Even if it's a three ship day, all the immigration/customs staff are new to the processes, it takes you an outrageous amount of time to get off the ship, and you wait half an hour for a cab - you could be in the last group leaving the vessel c. 9am and still be at the station an hour early for your bus... Transit involves heading down the first set of stairs just outside Canada Place (as you want the Expo/Millennium line, not the Canada Line to the airport) and heading to Main Street/Scienceworld station. $2.75 per person ($1.75 if you're Seniors). Cab *might* go as high as $15 at that time of day as you'll hit some rush hour traffic.

I suggest either a leisurely breakfast on board then disembark along the last people or get off early, stash your bags at the train station (if you can - hours are based around train schedule, check which day you're arriving!) and go do something fun and touristy for 2-3 hours. Dr Sun Yat Sen garden is very close to the station (as is all of Chinatown), Scienceworld is two blocks away, the Athlete's Village and a nice scenic part of the Seawall only a hundred yards further on.

Edited by martincath
added links

Did you check into Quik Shuttle? It picks you up right at Canada Place and they coordinate with the cruise ship. It has several drop off points, including downtown Seattle and the Seattle airport. Plus it has free wifi.

DaveOKC

I have not heard of quick shuttle -- sounds good - only thought about the thruway bus because that's the way I'm getting to Vancouver from the Amtrak Train that gets to Seattle. I will have an extra day going up Vancouver since the Train/bus won't arrive within the right time to take the cruise. I don't want to take a chance of missing the ship!! I will use some of the suggestions of things to do in Vancouver for the time I have the day ahead, too.

I have not heard of quick shuttle -- sounds good - only thought about the thruway bus because that's the way I'm getting to Vancouver from the Amtrak Train that gets to Seattle. I will have an extra day going up Vancouver since the Train/bus won't arrive within the right time to take the cruise. I don't want to take a chance of missing the ship!! I will use some of the suggestions of things to do in Vancouver for the time I have the day ahead, too.
For Vancouver to Seattle, here is a link to the

Quick Shuttle: Vancouver Seattle Schedule

If you scroll down to the Summer Schedule, Southbound, they have an express bus that picks up passengers at the Canada Place Pier at 9:00 am that looks like the one Dave was telling you about.

It gets to Seattle, Downtown at 12:45 and Seatac Airport at 1:20.

Adult one-way fare $43.