Divina Feb 22 to March 8th B2b Review

MTL=CRUISEFAMILY

This is one of the best reviews I've ever read! Distinct, to the point and seemingly not biased. I agree with the OP, we are also big fans of Celebrity, but MSC is definitely a line that people should try. We find their ships to be some of the most beautiful on the seas, but the line does lack in some areas, especially in service.

Any pictures you wish to share?

This is one of the best reviews I've ever read! Distinct, to the point and seemingly not biased. I agree with the OP, we are also big fans of Celebrity, but MSC is definitely a line that people should try. We find their ships to be some of the most beautiful on the seas, but the line does lack in some areas, especially in service.

I agree, the OP, and you too are being fair, but I'd like to go a little further.

I'd like to ask you the same question I asked the OP, about less service on the Divina.

As the old saying goes, 'you pay for what you get'! The current Divina sales are running 'approx'. 50% of the per day price of Celebrity!

Is Celebrity with its better service and much higher prices still your first choice?

Would you pay double for a Celebrity cruise over the Divina (based on current sales going on) because of the extra service?

I haven't sailed yet on the Divina, we have a back to back scheduled in May. We have enjoyed our cruises on Celebrity, and agree the service was good, but we weren't really over blown away with Celebrity when we factored in how much it cost for their 'good service'!

Just my opinion, not meant to be disagreeable, just conversing with other cruise enthusiasts, and interested in their decision process!:D

Couldn't agree with you more, Russian Bear.

We're taking our first cruise on MSC this Saturday, are looking forward to it and going with an open mind.

We've done several Celebrity cruises, most recent on Solstice, and like you, we enjoyed it but certainly weren't blown away. In fact, we think Celebrity is "overblown."

Very few entertainment options, no place to dance other than the atrium, no aft elevators making for very long walks, and the food was just so-so. MUCH better food on HAL and Carnival, in our experience. In fact, our most recent cruise was on Carnival Miracle and the service was heads above any we've had on any ship, yet people are always bashing Carnival.

So you see, there's something out there for everyone.

If you are an experienced cruiser, you will be constantly comparing the differences or shortcomings in areas that may be important to you. I would however encourage first time cruisers, and families with young children wanting to maximize their travel dollars.'

Thank you for your detailed review!

Right now MSC is pricing out at 'approx.' 50% of an equal cruise/equal cabin on Celebrity!

A question, might not your statement better read 'all cruisers', instead of just 'first time cruisers, and young families', because prices this low come around very rarely for an almost new ship on a 7 day cruise, and going on an expensive cruise is always there!:D

example: the Divina on one site is advertising $299. for a balcony in April, $399. in May, would you really rather spend more then double this amount for a similar Celebrity cruise? I respect your answer, I just find it interesting in seeing how people think! My wife and I are fortunate, we can choose our cruises on what we want, and not worry about the price, but again, 'we love a good deal'!:D

Have a good cruise on the Quantum!:)

We cruise as a family, and our two teens accompany us, therefor have to travel when they are off school (march break) We booked at close to full price, and high airfare to add, so, it would not be fair for me to compare reduced rates that may be available, since I cannot benefit from them.

But as for service charges of $12 per day, same as Celebrity, I do find that the levels should match.

I agree, the OP, and you too are being fair, but I'd like to go a little further.

I'd like to ask you the same question I asked the OP, about less service on the Divina.

As the old saying goes, 'you pay for what you get'! The current Divina sales are running 'approx'. 50% of the per day price of Celebrity!

Is Celebrity with its better service and much higher prices still your first choice?

Would you pay double for a Celebrity cruise over the Divina (based on current sales going on) because of the extra service?

I haven't sailed yet on the Divina, we have a back to back scheduled in May. We have enjoyed our cruises on Celebrity, and agree the service was good, but we weren't really over blown away with Celebrity when we factored in how much it cost for their 'good service'!

Just my opinion, not meant to be disagreeable, just conversing with other cruise enthusiasts, and interested in their decision process!:D

As stated in my review we enjoy the entertainment and shows on MSC, and enjoyed the refinement of Celebrity, each has it's cost. For us it is finding a balance of both, not necessarily the per day cost of a cruise, after all. we all cruise for enjoyment, and a break from our everyday lives. Would love to cruise more often...

Hi MTL,I like your cruise experience evolvement ;). I am pretty happy that you found Celebrity to be your preferred cruise line,and that you still plan to try new ones,e.g. RCI. I can warmly recommend the Oasis and Allure,and believe that the Quantum is going to be one heck of a cruise ship. If you plan to sail to Bermuda with Celebrity,it is going to be on the Summit which is going to be very familiar to you after cruising on the Constellation and Century. I liked those older ships,too,but I think you and your teenagers would really like the Solstice class.

I,personally,consider the Solstice and MSC Splendida the best looking ships I sailed on.

After my not greatest experience on the Splendida (service wise) about 5 years ago I am trying the Divina next month. The ship looks very nice,the price we got is unheard of,and after this year's terrible winter I really need to get to the Caribbean again as soon as possible:D.

I read your review with interest,and believe that my opinion is going to be similar to yours.

Happy cruising!

Hi MTL,I like your cruise experience evolvement ;). I am pretty happy that you found Celebrity to be your preferred cruise line,and that you still plan to try new ones,e.g. RCI. I can warmly recommend the Oasis and Allure,and believe that the Quantum is going to be one heck of a cruise ship. If you plan to sail to Bermuda with Celebrity,it is going to be on the Summit which is going to be very familiar to you after cruising on the Constellation and Century. I liked those older ships,too,but I think you and your teenagers would really like the Solstice class.

I,personally,consider the Solstice and MSC Splendida the best looking ships I sailed on.

After my not greatest experience on the Splendida (service wise) about 5 years ago I am trying the Divina next month. The ship looks very nice,the price we got is unheard of,and after this year's terrible winter I really need to get to the Caribbean again as soon as possible:D.

I read your review with interest,and believe that my opinion is going to be similar to yours.

Happy cruising!

Good to hear from you, and am sure you will enjoy the Divina. It is a spectacular ship, and cannot fail them on food, we were quite happy, presentation is another thing. Although I prefer Celebrity, I know the entertainment/shows are hard to beat on MSC.

Yes, would prefer Solstice class, just trying to avoid the airfare and sail out out New York.

Have a great trip....

Edited by MTL=CRUISEFAMILY

We cruise as a family, and our two teens accompany us, therefor have to travel when they are off school (march break) We booked at close to full price, and high airfare to add, so, it would not be fair for me to compare reduced rates that may be available, since I cannot benefit from them.

But as for service charges of $12 per day, same as Celebrity, I do find that the levels should match.

You get what you pay for as the old saying goes, and we think the total price paid is an important consideration when making 'comparisons' with other lines! Just our opinion.

I enjoyed your review, and I hope you'll enjoy your cruise on the Quantum!

I look forward to your reviewing the Quantum!

Best to you and your family.

Edited by Russian Bear

Couldn't agree with you more, Russian Bear.

We're taking our first cruise on MSC this Saturday, are looking forward to it and going with an open mind.

We've done several Celebrity cruises, most recent on Solstice, and like you, we enjoyed it but certainly weren't blown away. In fact, we think Celebrity is "overblown."

Very few entertainment options, no place to dance other than the atrium, no aft elevators making for very long walks, and the food was just so-so. MUCH better food on HAL and Carnival, in our experience. In fact, our most recent cruise was on Carnival Miracle and the service was heads above any we've had on any ship, yet people are always bashing Carnival.

So you see, there's something out there for everyone.

Agreed, Celebrity lacks after dinner entertainment, which we enjoy...Carnival just strikes me as LOUD, although we enjoy having some fun, we are looking for a happy medium....HAL, heard it was lights out at 9 pm...your thoughts?

Agreed, Celebrity lacks after dinner entertainment, which we enjoy...Carnival just strikes me as LOUD, although we enjoy having some fun, we are looking for a happy medium....HAL, heard it was lights out at 9 pm...your thoughts?

I will say we had some late nights on Celebrity Reflection in the Sky lounge.

Well, we've usually enjoyed the piano bars and live bands in the evenings on HAL. Their production shows sort of fall flat though, kind of cheesy.

We're not party animals by any stretch of the imagination, but I enjoy listening to good music and watching others dance, even if my DH just sits! Midnight is about the latest for us on a ship, too much to do each day.

Great question, Bear. I think it would depend on itinerary as well as price. Also, our Elite level on =X= weighs in as well. For the most part, I see the two lines at relatively the same price for cruises, and I don't mind paying a little more for the better service that I get on =X=. If MSC had similar service, I would definitely cruise them more.

We've all but abandoned NCL (just not our cup of tea) and found Princess to be a bit inconsistent, RC is aiming more to families (of which we do not have), so these two could be our top two choices. Will let you know when we get back in April!

As to flahagan's comment about =X= being "overblown," we couldn't disagree more. They just seem to do everything right by us (key words "by us"). We love them. We find that the S-class ships are the most beautiful on the seas, but having said that, the two MSC's we've been on are VERY close second's. Again, we'll let you know when we get back from the Divina.

Edited by jt1120

If I may add my opinion , the HAL cruises we have been on the passengers have certainly focused on the destinations and excursions rather than on late, late entertainment. It's there if you want it, but it's not a focal point of the cruise/ group I would say.

Keep in mind my experiences are the longer European and Alaska type cruises.

Very different group than the typical Caribbean cruisers that focus on relaxation and unwinding than the ports.

We've found quiet, very nice areas on HAL to relax, drink a beverage and converse or read a book, to a lessor extent on Carnival every time, so we aren't bothered by excessive noise or anything like that, but if you have typical teens or children they may be bored with the offerings on HAL compared to the other lines.

We found CCL, NCL, MSC and The RCCL ships we've cruised to be roughly the same in quality/ value, we each having one or two things better than the others but worst than some. We know what we are getting and the price we are paying, so we come prepared for that.

Note that we haven't sailed any of the newer Mega, signature ships of any of the lines, but probably will one day if the right opportunity presents itself.

Our style of cruising and personal preferences make HAL our current favorite, I can't wait to try a few other lines one day, but I've pretty much crossed NCL off the list at our budget range if all things are equal with the other lines, just not what we want.

Great question, Bear. I think it would depend on itinerary as well as price. Also, our Elite level on =X= weighs in as well. For the most part, I see the two lines at relatively the same price for cruises, and I don't mind paying a little more for the better service that I get on =X=. If MSC had similar service, I would definitely cruise them more.

We've all but abandoned NCL (just not our cup of tea) and found Princess to be a bit inconsistent, RC is aiming more to families (of which we do not have), so these two could be our top two choices. Will let you know when we get back in April!

As to flahagan's comment about =X= being "overblown," we couldn't disagree more. They just seem to do everything right by us (key words "by us"). We love them. We find that the S-class ships are the most beautiful on the seas, but having said that, the two MSC's we've been on are VERY close second's. Again, we'll let you know when we get back from the Divina.

Absolutely agree with you when you said 'key words by us'!

Everyone has their personal wants, desires, and financial abilities, and they should be respected!

We can disagree from time to time, but its important to not be disagreeable!

Having cruise lines that offer a different experiences, different prices, different itineraries, etc., and our search to finding what's best for ourselves is part of the fun in cruising!

Good luck in your future cruising!:)

Thank you...appreciate your remarks.

Will try to post some pix, separately, soon.

• 2 weeks later...