Your thoughts on Costa?

NOSaints1

I'm just wondering what your thoughts on Costa? Do you still feel safe? And has safety improve since Concordia? What's the food like, entertainment, public areas. It seems like the ships look a lot like Carnivals. Which ships go to the Caribbean?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I'm just wondering what your thoughts on Costa? Do you still feel safe? And has safety improve since Concordia? What's the food like, entertainment, public areas. It seems like the ships look a lot like Carnivals. Which ships go to the Caribbean?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I have been on many Costa cruises and like them. Mostly Europeans. That's one of the reasons I sail with them. As soon as you step onboard it's like you are in Europe. Even if it's in the Port of Miami.

Yes, I feel safe. IMO Costa is just as safe or safer than most other cruise lines. They had to step it up after the problems with a couple of their ships. Allegra and Concordia. Couple of pier accidents too.

Costa does the muster drill before departure. Didn't always do that before the Concordia disaster.

Lots of emergency crew drills now.

Food I find is average. Sometimes fantastic, sometimes poor. Buffet is normally average. Pizza is usually below average unless you order a fresh one around midnight. It's your own fault if you ever go hungry.

Entertainment for dancing is better than any other cruise line that I have been on. There is music in many different areas at night.

The main shows at night are usually average. Kinda like my description about the food.

Many Carnival and Costa ships have the same designer, Joe Farcus.

Right now the Luminosa, Magica, and Mediterranea are in the Caribbean.

Happy Sailing!

Just to add a couple of points to Salve's response:

Most of the newer ships come fom Fincantieri. Public areas vary in detail, but the general ship layout and cabins are almost identical regardless of whether you're on Costa, Carnival, Holland America or Cunard.

Exactly as Salve says, in 60+ cruises, I have never found a cruise line that offers better music and dancing. The dance floors on Costa and Cunard are roughly comparable, Holland America and Carnival utterly pathetic in comparison.

I've also never gone hungry, I've always found something I liked.

The OP doesn't mention whether they're American. Luminosa is currently based in Miami, the other two seem to visit non-US ports and sold with European fly-cruise packages. They don't stay in the Caribbean year-round

Just to add a couple of points to Salve's response:

Most of the newer ships come fom Fincantieri. Public areas vary in detail, but the general ship layout and cabins are almost identical regardless of whether you're on Costa, Carnival, Holland America or Cunard.

Exactly as Salve says, in 60+ cruises, I have never found a cruise line that offers better music and dancing. The dance floors on Costa and Cunard are roughly comparable, Holland America and Carnival utterly pathetic in comparison.

I've also never gone hungry, I've always found something I liked.

The OP doesn't mention whether they're American. Luminosa is currently based in Miami, the other two seem to visit non-US ports and sold with European fly-cruise packages. They don't stay in the Caribbean year-round

Next winter (2014 / 2015) the Luminosa will be joined by Mediterranea sailing out of Miami, Magica will sail out of La Romana and Fortuna out of Guadeloupe.

Ron