Help!! Cruise Price has gone UP

MRBOOKEND

I keep seeing threads where OP has asked for help when there is a price drop after booking and especially after FP.

But I thought I would share my "predictament": I booked a S4 through NCL about a month ago and fare has gone up exactly $150pp and OBC is $150 less for the cabin.

I know it is a long way to go and towards the end I will probably be reading all the "price drop posts", but what do I do now? I was hoping for a price drop to leverage some more OBC. ;)

Edited by MRBOOKEND

I realize you think you're funny and original.

You're not. :cool:

How you are interpreting was not my intention. Seems like most people book in advance to secure cheaper airfare, etc but watch their cruise price drop.

Wanted to show that NCL actually raises their prices. Guess I wasn't thinking about how others would look at it.

I keep seeing threads where OP has asked for help when there is a price drop after booking and especially after FP.

But I thought I would share my "predictament": I booked a S4 through NCL about a month ago and fare has gone up exactly $150pp and OBC is $150 less for the cabin.

I know it is a long way to go and towards the end I will probably be reading all the "price drop posts", but what do I do now? I was hoping for a price drop to leverage some more OBC. ;)

If you're serious, you do nothing. You're locked in at your booked price.

Know now that it might be an evocative statement. But why do you think prices are going up? Could bookings be more than expected for some reason and they raised prices?

Thanks for the one thumbs up. Now I am in balance again.

Actually, I hope the prices do drop a lot. Please tell me if my logic is faulty.

I got a screaming deal on our airline tickets to Barcelona and doubt would be able to match in future. I didn't want to wait for cabin fares to drop and as a consequence miss out on the cabin category I wanted if sold out. There is peace of mind knowing I got what I wanted.

The only way I can lower my cost is if prices drop and I can "beg" for OBC which for me is as good as cash because I will be spending more than my current OBC.

So I am not happy prices are going up.

Edited by MRBOOKEND

Prices depend on many factors. We booked in August for April. Within a few weeks the price increased by $800.00 and then by Thanksgiving the category was sold out. I think we were lucky to get the cabin we wanted at a reasonable price.

Other cabin categories have had price drops, but nothing that I would consider a "give away".

Only with a crystal ball will you get the best cruise price, best cabin selection and best airfare. There's no magic formula:)

It is all about supply and demand. That being said when a cruise comes online for the first time (usually about 18 months or so out) the prices are fairly cheap and as it gets closer, the prices go up. If they have not sold the cabins as expected then prices will come down closer to sail date.

You said you booked an S4 - How many of those cabins are on the ship you are sailing? Are they close to selling out? If so, it is unlikely that the price will drop.

As said over and over again on these boards...You have to book when you are comfortable with the price. There is no guarantee that the price will go down as the category you book may sell out. In the 3 cruises I have taken, I have never seen a price drop in my category. They always go up and then boom, they are sold out

The prices have gone up on our cruise as well. We booked the Star, a 12 day, cruising around the British Isles. We were so excited to see it that we booked it right away with our FCC and I'm glad we did.

The price for a balcony cabin has gone up over $100pp, maybe due to how quickly the cabins are selling. Considering it's not until Sept. 2015 quite a surprise, also, the roll call for this cruise is more active than most too.

Supply and demand... ;)

Sometimes waiting for the price to drop does not work. We booked our room category a year in advance and then a few months later the price went up $400pp. About a month after the price increase our room category was sold out. Now we are a little more then a month from our sail date and the cruise is sold out.

When I book a sailing I am constantly checking the prices just for my own knowledge

I don't try to get a better price because sometimes I book thru cas

I will say that the cabin prices go up and down very often

I don't understand why but they do

My sailing is in January and I am scoping out a cabin for a friend and one week it is 8198 and the next it is 7898 and then 8098

Yes its in the haven but the constant flux in price is mind boggling

I agree that the prices fluctuate. After out latest booking, the price went down a few weeks later (got the lower price but lost the 9 months' out booking points) then it went up hundreds and hundreds, and back down just before final payment.

You just never know for sure. Keep checking--especially just before you make final payment.

Since you are already booked the price increase does not affect you. So you do nothing.

Since you are already booked the price increase does not affect you. So you do nothing.

Booked but still a long ways (200+) from sail date. Not 100% sure but think I can cancel booking on cruise and rebook with anybody as long as in 100% refund time period. If price stays up, you're right. I will research this one to make sure..

Sure wish I had access to historical and actual NCL fares including OBC so could predict best time to purchase a specific cruise. Enjoy seeing how pricing theory unfolds.

Next best thing is all you guys. thanks from a novice.

Edited by MRBOOKEND

Sometimes they go up and sometimes down. My fare for our 2015 cruise dropped and I happened to catch it by chance and called and got $160.00 off and another $100 in OBC. It has since gone back up and is higher than when I booked. For our cruise in Feb. all of last year I watched our RCI fare go up more and more until it finished about $250pp more than when I booked. For our CCL cruise last year it kept going down and I ended up with $200 in OBC. Luck of the draw or probably more like how quickly they are selling cabins.

Edited by fergusonvt