Escape sails from Miami

johnnypiano

http://www.usatoday.com/story/cruiselog/2014/03/12/norwegian-escape-caribbean-miami/6316363/

MIAMI -- It's official: Norwegian Cruise Line's next ship is heading to the Caribbean.

The 4,200-passenger Norwegian Escape will join the just-unveiled Norwegian Getaway in sailing in the region year-round from Miami, Norwegian CEO Kevin Sheehan announced today at the annual Cruise Shipping Miami conference.

The 163,000-ton vessel will operate a seven-day Eastern Caribbean itinerary starting Nov. 14, 2015 that features stops in Tortola, British Virgin Islands; St. Thomas, U.S. Virgin Islands; and Nassau, Bahamas.

The cruises will open for group bookings by travel agents on March 19. Members of Norwegian's Latitudes Rewards frequent cruiser program can book the ship starting on March 25, and bookings open to the general public on March 26.

Norwegian Getaway became the first Norwegian ship to sail year-round from Miami when it debuted earlier this year -- a notable milestone for the fast-growing company.

Under construction at a shipyard in Germany, the Norwegian Escape will be Norwegian's largest ever when it arrives in October 2015.

Norwegian Escape and a sister ship due in 2017, the Norwegian Bliss, will be about 10% larger than the Norwegian Getaway and one-year-old sister ship Norwegian Breakaway. They'll share many of the features of the earlier vessels.

It looks like it's doing basically the same itinerary as the Getaway April 2015 and beyond?

Norwegian Getaway

PORTS OF CALL EMBARK Miami; St. Thomas (US Virgin Islands); Tortola (British Virgin Islands); Nassau (Bahamas); DISEMBARK Miami

Harriet

Edited by hpecorari

NCL hasn't published any itineraries for Getaway past October 2015, which makes me think that Getaway may get a new itinerary.

I wonder if it will take over the Epic's itineraries as that ship is being sent to Europe?

Harriet

Edited by hpecorari

Geez NCL - can we PLEASE have new ports?! Why Nassau again?? :( Was kinda hoping this one would go to the private island. Tortola is a nice add, though.

Samana changes to Tortola on all itineraries already before Escape comes.

Also NCL has good contracts with Bahamas so it's better business decision for them to go to Nassau for at least two reasons: money and the weather-related tendering problems at GSC.

Geez NCL - can we PLEASE have new ports?! Why Nassau again?? :( Was kinda hoping this one would go to the private island. Tortola is a nice add, though.

I was hoping the same as well. I'm at the point that unless I go to Europe or do a transatlantic I've been to every port more than once or twice already!

If the darn airfare wasn't so high to Europe......But I refuse to pay more for airfare, most times 1 1/2 times to double my cruise price.

Nassau? I think NCL keeps that port knowing we've already been there many times before so stay on the ship. Staying on the ship can bring them more alcohol revenue! LOL

Harriet

I also think Getaway will likely move to Western Caribbean. I'm glad I get to hit St. Maarten again on my upcoming Getaway cruise before NCL drops it completely starting this fall.

Tortola is my favorite place in the Caribbean, although I've never been as part of a cruise. Most people will probably take off on excursions to other BVIs and miss Tortola itself.

I agree that Nassau needs to be dropped. Maybe it will happen before late 2015 rolls around.

Nassau? I think NCL keeps that port knowing we've already been there many times before so stay on the ship. Staying on the ship can bring them more alcohol revenue! LOL

Harriet

My opinion as well. Oh well as long as the ships keep sailing with enough newbies that get off and leave me with a mostly empty ship I won't complain too loudly. Although Nassau holds as much appeal to me as shoe shopping with the bride!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree that Nassau needs to be dropped. Maybe it will happen before late 2015 rolls around.

There is already another thread (here) about the other winter 2015/2016 itineraries:

Escape, Breakaway and Spirit will call in Nassau.

Getaway, Breakaway and Spirit will call in Great Stirrup Cay.

People here have been complaining about Nassau as long as I can remember and nothing has happened about NCL dropping it so I wouldn't hold my breath that they'd it in the future either.

There is already another thread (here) about the other winter 2015/2016 itineraries:

Escape, Breakaway and Spirit will call in Nassau.

Getaway, Breakaway and Spirit will call in Great Stirrup Cay.

People here have been complaining about Nassau as long as I can remember and nothing has happened about NCL dropping it so I wouldn't hold my breath that they'd it in the future either.

I don't mean because of complaints. For example, if violence would escalate against tourists, it might reach a point where they don't have much choice. You just never know. Just because it's a published itinerary doesn't mean it is impossible to change. (See Tunisia).

Found this in a press release:

Miami’s Ultimate Ship, Norwegian Getaway, will continue to sail year round from Miami on a new seven-day Western Caribbean itinerary departing every Sunday starting November 15, 2015. Ports of call include Norwegian’s private island Great Stirrup Cay, Bahamas; Ocho Rios, Jamaica; George Town, Grand Cayman; and Cozumel, Mexico.

I also think Getaway will likely move to Western Caribbean. I'm glad I get to hit St. Maarten again on my upcoming Getaway cruise before NCL drops it completely starting this fall.

Tortola is my favorite place in the Caribbean, although I've never been as part of a cruise. Most people will probably take off on excursions to other BVIs and miss Tortola itself.

Is St. Maarten getting dropped from getaway or ncl completely? That would suck as it's on of my favorite islands

Sent from my iPhone using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

This part of the press release is incorrect. The SS Norway sailed year-round from Miami at times. The private-equity guys in control now were not around then to know.

Norwegian Getaway became the first Norwegian ship to sail year-round from Miami when it debuted earlier this year -- a notable milestone for the fast-growing company

Found this in a press release:

Miami’s Ultimate Ship, Norwegian Getaway, will continue to sail year round from Miami on a new seven-day Western Caribbean itinerary departing every Sunday starting November 15, 2015. Ports of call include Norwegian’s private island Great Stirrup Cay, Bahamas; Ocho Rios, Jamaica; George Town, Grand Cayman; and Cozumel, Mexico.

It is really surprising to me that NCL decided to have four ports for Getaway. Having only 3 ports would have generated more onboard revenue. However, they are including GSP, which is their own private island.

Is St. Maarten getting dropped from getaway or ncl completely? That would suck as it's on of my favorite islands

I believe I read it is being dropped completely, but I apologize that I can no longer remember/find where I read that. That's what I remember, and I'm not seeing any future St. Maarten stops beyond fall 2014.

I believe I read it is being dropped completely, but I apologize that I can no longer remember/find where I read that. That's what I remember, and I'm not seeing any future St. Maarten stops beyond fall 2014.

Getaway is calling. On SXM until April 2015

http://www.ncl.com/vacations/norwegian-getaway-sep-2014-oct-2014-nov-2014-dec-2014-jan-2015-feb-2015-mar-2015-apr-2015-2-guests?sailmonths=4294937477+4294937484+4294937476+4294937483+4294936764+4294936763+4294936765+4294936762&ships=4294927095&numberOfGuests=4294915774&pageSize=5&currentPage=1&sortBy=Featured&autoPopulate=f&from=resultPage

Edited by ohiogymrat

So far it is the only hull art of the Breakaway Class that I do like. Getaway is ok, but I still don't like Breakaway with the floating liberty head.

Escape is not a Breakaway class ship - she starts a new class, Breakaway Plus.

That's a shame! Thanks for clarifying though.

Getaway is calling. On SXM until April 2015
Yes, you're right. I see that now. I have no clue what I had clicked that I thought I saw Tortola this September for the Getaway. I blame the NCL site. (just kidding. it was me.) Tortola starts in April, '15.