Northbound VS. Southbound

Fishymom

What is the difference?

Like Vancouver to Seward or Seward to Vancouver?

You really need to look at the itineraries of both and see if they are identical and if there is one that gives you more time in ports that you want to visit.

Hi! I just went through comparing this for our trip. Here are the differences:

Ketchikan: NB 10 hr; SB 9 hr; 1 hr more NB

Juneau: NB 13 1/2 hr; SB 12 hr; 1 1/2 hr more NB

Skagway: NB 9 1/2 hr; SB 13 1/2; 4 hr less NB

Icy Straight: NB 9 hr; SB 9 hr; same

Hubbard: 7:00am-11:00am; 2:00pm-6:00pm; do you like early or

later?

Originally, I was set for Southbound because it would have been a shorter flight home and you get the land part done first and then can unpack and relax on the ship. But, the other couple traveling with us couldn't hit the dates for the Southbound so we are going Northbound. Now I am kind of glad. We can build slowly on the excitement to get into Alaska and the scenery will just keep getting better. Also, my husband said he likes the idea of Northbound better because now when we get off the ship, we don't have to go home. It's like getting a second vacation if that makes sense.

I like Northbound for the fact the scenery gets more impressive as you go along. That said I don't do one way any more but usually a B2B so it really doesn't matter :)

If you go on Princess NB gets Glacier Bay and College Fjord, SB gets Hubbard and Glacier Bay so its a trade off. A big plus for me is the NB schedule has extra time in Juneau and allows the option to take the full day small boat trip to Tracy Arm with Adventure Bound.(few ships have enough time in Juneau to do this tour)

Figure out what is important to you and choose what fits what you want to see/do.

I've done two NBs and loved them. The initial day-at-sea provides an easy, relaxing transition into "cruise life", followed by the self-imposed hustle of port days, and finished by two days of spectacular glacier viewing with some nice sea time in the middle. Had we done a SB, we'd be looking at a first morning glacier viewing, which by no means is stressful but does mean you have an agenda/timetable if you want the most out of your trip.

That said, our next cruise is a Seattle round-trip. A sea day to start and essentially two sea days to finish (albeit with a Victoria stop the final night) means there's relaxation on the way home.

Do also think about your packing. NB on Princess means your final evening is College Fjord, and therefore you need to put suitcases out either before CF, after CF but before dinner, or after dinner, and I'm sure Princess prefers as early as possible.

In addition to the northbound (which we also prefer) out of Vancouver they will sail out past Stanley Park and under Lionsgate Bridge and that is an amazing way to start an Alaska cruise !! Will be doing this same itinerary for the 3rd time in May.