Viking Tulip & Windmills

tstr

Thinking of booking a last second cruise on Vikings Tulip and Windmills trip. We did our first river cruise 2 years ago on Avalon of the Danube and loved it.

Any recommendations, tips, etc greatly appreciated!!!

We would get free air out of Pittsburgh with their promotion but I am a bit concerned that you do not get details till after you book (did my own air last time but missed connection - LOL). Especially since we do not have best connections out of PITT. Hopefully just go to NYC then direct.

Also any input on weather and if flowers in bloom appreciated.

Thanks

We did Tulips and Windmills with Vantage and I'm sure all of the lines offer the same trip. Best time to go is spring when tulips are in bloom. We went in late April and you could see the fields of tulips from the plane! Not to be missed: Keukenhof for the most amazing display of tulips you will ever have seen and Aalsmeer for the flower auction, you won't know what's going on but it's amazing to watch thousands of carts loaded with flowers being carted as far as the eye can see. If you go, and you want to buy bulbs, make sure they have the required certificate otherwise US customs will confiscate them. I found best way was to pick up the catalog from the grower in Holland and order from the catalog. Another place we enjoyed tremendously was the open air museum at the Zeider Zee...but lets face it, you're going for the tulips and you won't be disappointed. Check several river cruise companies because the itineraries will vary in small ways and pick the one that offers you the most that you want to do.

Our first Viking cruise was their Tulips & Windmills' and we loved it. If you get a chance to do the optional tour to Delft, I recommend it. We thought it was worth the cost. We also took advantage of a sale on Viking, with $99 airfare from Detroit. I too was a bit anxious about too many connections or long layovers and our assigned flights were just what I would have chosen.

Goos luck and enjoy your cruise!

Maybe this will make you feel better about using Viking air. We booked the Rhine Getaway with a group of folks. They had booked much earlier than us. When air was assigned, we (the late bookers) got the better flight. We were told (not by anyone official, of course) that the early bookers got the cheaper flights, and by the time we booked all the cheap flights were gone so we got the better one (only one stop). I don't know how much truth there is in that, but we are very happy with our flight schedule.

Wow, free air is a great deal. Just FYI the weather is great there this spring and the flowers will be out early, unlike last year. We are booked on the March 28 Viking Delling and were worried if we would see any tulips, but I am feeling much better. Check out tripadvisor where there is a thread called Flower Update 2014 which tells you all about the flowers and gives great updates. Good luck and enjoy the trip!

We signed up for the free air deal a couple of weeks ago for Tulips & Windmills sailing on April 7. We learned of the promotion through a Viking email. In February we also got $300 each off as former Viking customers.

I was also concerned since we normally use Viking's custom air service, and it wasn't an option for the free air promotion. We'll be flying from Nashville ($200/person for air since it isn't a major departure city). We were booked through Atlanta going over and through Detroit coming back. Ticketing is via KLM, but three of the four flights are on Delta. On the KLM flight (ATL to AMS) we were able to upgrade to Economy Comfort for $125 each. Since we were ticketed through KLM, we could NOT upgrade on the Delta flights although Economy Comfort seats are available. We were told that we may be able to upgrade at the airport.

I plan to post from the ship during the cruise. Looking forward to another great Viking experience.

FuelScience (aka OkieCruiser49)