please reducate me on early saver

stressedmomof3

by no means I am an expert cruiser as I have only been on 3 Carnival cruises before,

but l recently put in for a price protection form for onboard credit and I was denied. I received a generic pdf sent to me saying the price is higher than I originally paid. ( Both rooms actually went down in pricing before taxes and gratuities by $20 each)

We originally booked a cruise and paid in full for July for 3 people on one booking, 2 on the other.

I called up to speak with an agent and she said I was denied the credit on the booking for 3 because

The price for passenger #1 and #2 went down, but passengers' price #3 went up

and that

taxes are higher now than when I originally booked.

She also said that the system is generated and can not be overridden. ( Don't know what that really meant as I was just wanting the onboard credit for what I saw on the carnival booking engine)

I have never heard of such a thing and asked to speak to a supervisor. The supervisor denied me stating the same as above and stressing the taxes are higher.

Now granted the price only went down $20 on each room. I was granted the onboard credit for the room with 2 people, but still denied on the room for 3 people because of what was stated above by the supervisor.

Does this sound right to any of you?

When calculating a price drop, you basically need to book a cabin like you have with your booking. And yes, port taxes/fees go up and down and do factor into the price. What you need to compare is the total price. If that is lower, you should get a price correction. I have seen the per person price go down on a couple of my cruises, but there were price additions (different ship decks, port charges) that made the total cost more expensive.

What I do is build a mock booking up to the point of selecting the individual cabin on the deck I currently have and then check the price.

Hope this helps.

Steve

When calculating a price drop, you basically need to book a cabin like you have with your booking. And yes, port taxes/fees go up and down and do factor into the price. What you need to compare is the total price. If that is lower, you should get a price correction. I have seen the per person price go down on a couple of my cruises, but there were price additions (different ship decks, port charges) that made the total cost more expensive.

What I do is build a mock booking up to the point of selecting the individual cabin on the deck I currently have and then check the price.

Hope this helps.

Steve

thanks Steve.

I was not aware that the taxes were a factor. I thought we were locked in when we booked.

thanks Steve.

I was not aware that the taxes were a factor. I thought we were locked in when we booked.

You are locked in until you request price adjustments. When they re-price your booking they look at the whole picture. (Taxes, port fees, cruise fare, etc.)

If you don't request any price adjustments, regardless of whether taxes go up, you won't pay any more than your original booking. If the taxes and port fees go down at all, you'll receive OBC for the difference.

Hope that makes sense.

Mom, you are locked in to the port charges when you book since if they go up, you aren't responsible for the increase (at least I've never had that happen to me). If they do go down, you can get the price difference (assuming the total cost dropped). This actually has happened on one of the cruises I currently have booked and got a $30/person credit.

Aft, when I looked at FareViewer, it just showed me the cost of the fare based on the cabin rating I selected. It didn't factor in the port charges which can (and do) change. I do agree if something occurs during the cruise to miss a port (or the rates change a little) you will get a credit then too.

Steve

When I spoke with my PVP regarding this, it is the total price that is used for a rate reduction credit. On one of my cruises, the rate stayed the same and the port charges dropped... Got the credit for that. Every little bit helps.

I just never had this issue come up in the past. I always did mock bookings or used fareviewer and it has always been exact matches, no issues, no fuss, no muss.

This tax business seems to be a bit more complicated.

$20 is not much, but it does add up when you're cruising...

Much appreciated:)

Rate drops were never to include taxes/port fees/miscellaneous/etc., only cruise fare. Did something change?

Not that I'm aware of, and I think the OPs Billing information should have been adjusted, but a fees change could have eaten up the savings from a rate change and they didn't see an OBC as a result.

stressedmom, I think that they should have changed the amounts of the fares on your My Cruise Manager-My Billing page to reflect what they are now, because you need to have those numbers accurate in case there are further reductions before the sailing. It seems to me that, by blaming the lack of OBC on fee/tax changes, they are admitting that the fare itself had changed, and you need that to be adjusted.

The Carnival FAQs deal with the Fees/Taxes question here (including reserving the right to make changes even after the fare is paid in full) : What do government taxes and fees include?

OP, I would recommend that you resubmit the claim form online. I've had issues with submitting price reduction forms and being denied for whatever reason. However, upon resubmitting the form again, would sometimes have completely different results. Also, a mock booking sounds like a good idea, but book the same room category, because this matters in the price guarantee.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

• 3 months later...

This JUST happened to me and I thought it was so bizarre.

I originally thought it was the base price- after reading these posts I went back and redid my quote by doing the mock booking and yes- the fees went up by about $30. I would still have a $10 credit (WHOOPPEE!).

I re-sent my request with further detail, but have not gotten a reply. I'm sure it will be what I have read through the posts.

UGH!!! Would like a little freebie!

by no means I am an expert cruiser as I have only been on 3 Carnival cruises before,

but l recently put in for a price protection form for onboard credit and I was denied. I received a generic pdf sent to me saying the price is higher than I originally paid. ( Both rooms actually went down in pricing before taxes and gratuities by $20 each)

We originally booked a cruise and paid in full for July for 3 people on one booking, 2 on the other.

I called up to speak with an agent and she said I was denied the credit on the booking for 3 because

The price for passenger #1 and #2 went down, but passengers' price #3 went up

and that

taxes are higher now than when I originally booked.

She also said that the system is generated and can not be overridden. ( Don't know what that really meant as I was just wanting the onboard credit for what I saw on the carnival booking engine)

I have never heard of such a thing and asked to speak to a supervisor. The supervisor denied me stating the same as above and stressing the taxes are higher.

Now granted the price only went down $20 on each room. I was granted the onboard credit for the room with 2 people, but still denied on the room for 3 people because of what was stated above by the supervisor.

Does this sound right to any of you?

We also just got hit with a higher tax rate, but our cruise price went down enough that it made sense to price match since it paid off our cruise and provided some OBC. I personally don't like the Fareviewer and just do a mock booking on the regular agent to make sure of the costs.