Are aft balaconys hot?

Remus2010

We are booking another cruise and hubby is considering an Aft Balcony. My question is how hot does it get out there and is there shade? Sometimes the crowds and noise are to much for me and I need a quite retreat, so I do use the balcony quite a bit. I would love to have more room for a lounger rather than a upright chair, but I don't sweat. Yes, you read it correctly, I don't sweat at all. I just turn bright red and overheat. So I'm concerned we may book it and I wont be able to use it because it will be to hot. Don't know if it makes any difference, but will likely be a late November, Western itinerary. I can usually handle 80ish degrees, more if there is a breeze. But much over 80 in direct sun with no breeze and I'm ready to throw up and pass out in about 30 min. Thanks for your reply.

We took a cruise with an aft and loved it for the reasons that might not be suitable for you...

The reason we took the aft is so we could sit out on the balcony and not be completely wind-blown. With your situation, you might be better suited for a standard balcony where you'll get the breeze as the ship travels.

It's wonderful at night! In my opinion, that's the best time to sit out on the balcony. Quiet, relaxing, and not too many other balcony dwellers.:)

I was fine heat wise on the aft balcony we had on the Dream. I would think long and hard about doing an aft again. Yes it was bigger and it was fantastic looking out the back at the wake, especially when sailing away from port. Here are the downsides, on a big ship like the Dream it got old being way down at one end of the ship. You will get to know your neighbors because of the slope of the partitions between the balconies. You can literally see right into each others cabins. There will be soot on your chairs etc. There is plenty of motion back there from the sea and when the ship docks you will really feel the vibration.

IMHO it was just okay, I don't think I would do an aft again

It will depend on how the ship is docked at each port. Last year 3 out of 4 ports while the ship was docked were sunny and hot. While the ship was moving we had sun and shade and it was very pleasant. It was an aft wrap. The long walk is a plus for us because it is forced exercise. We have had 3 afts in a row and have another one booked for 2016. Trying a forward suite next year.

Edited by fergusonvt

We had an aft on the Freedom in July 2 years ago. Because of the slope of the back of the ship, there is very little overhang. We had full sun on our balcony almost the entire cruise and next to no breeze. We were not able to use our balcony at all because it was scortching hot.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Had a aft balcony on the breeze - I don't sweat because of a medical condition either. It was too hot for me to stay there . View was amazing. But , there is no breeze back there to help u at all. On a reg balcony it was breezy so I was always on it. Plus like everyone else said u see u neighbors very easily.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

We are booking another cruise and hubby is considering an Aft Balcony. My question is how hot does it get out there and is there shade? Sometimes the crowds and noise are to much for me and I need a quite retreat, so I do use the balcony quite a bit. I would love to have more room for a lounger rather than a upright chair, but I don't sweat. Yes, you read it correctly, I don't sweat at all. I just turn bright red and overheat. So I'm concerned we may book it and I wont be able to use it because it will be to hot. Don't know if it makes any difference, but will likely be a late November, Western itinerary. I can usually handle 80ish degrees, more if there is a breeze. But much over 80 in direct sun with no breeze and I'm ready to throw up and pass out in about 30 min. Thanks for your reply.

I have never stayed in an Aft Balcony, but have had Aft Wraps three or four times and I found the side portion of a wrap to be a lifesaver.

The aft portion of the deck was extremely hot with no breeze. Having the side portion of the balcony provided a much needed respite from the heat. We probably spent 75% of time on the side portion of the deck.

I could not imagine that a aft extended balcony would be comfortable for any length of time. I'm surprised they can charge a premium.

Had a aft balcony on the breeze - I don't sweat because of a medical condition either. It was too hot for me to stay there . View was amazing. But , there is no breeze back there to help u at all. On a reg balcony it was breezy so I was always on it. Plus like everyone else said u see u neighbors very easily.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Thanks for all your responces. Normally we book the first balcony on the floor, under the bridge so we get very little wind but no sun and have had no problems. Maybe just stick to our normal cabin selection. We do like the long walk. More exercises=more warm chocolate melting cake:p

Eileenfa, if not to personal and you don't mind me asking why don't you sweat? I have never really looked into it medically but have been really considering it the last few years because it has been getting worse. Or at least my physical response to heat is getting worse. I have tried to look it up on line but goggling "why don't I sweat" hasn't really given me much LOL:D I'm guessing my primary doctor would send me to an Endocrinologist? Seems like it may be a hormonal or glandular issue? Thanks again

We had an aft extended on the Breeze in late September and hated it. The deck got so hot I burned my feet really bad one day. There was no breeze and it was blazing hot almost all the time.

I also had a drink dumped on my head from above:mad:

We wont do an aft again.

We've been booking the extended aft balconies for 10 years. We love them but on every ship they are a real blast furnace. I can't take the heat that well so when the sun is at its peak, I can't last more than 5 minutes.

We went on the Glory out of NYC in December 2012. We were off the NJ coast where it was a high of 32 degrees on our last day at sea. I was out on the balcony in shorts sweating to death. I don't know if that's normal, but it was really odd. When we went up to Deck 9 it was actually really cold. People walking in jeans wearing jackets.

I just really love the aft balcony early in the morning and definitely after dinner.

But even though the heat is unbearable for part of the afternoon, it is well worth it.

WOW I thought my husband and I were the only ones who don't like aft balconies for all the same reasons as stated in these prior posts. I may also add, that the way the bed is positioned in the stateroom, instead of rocking side to side you rock head to toe. And, for all the oooohing and aaaahing about aft cabins, I was just not impressed.

We had an aft balcony on the Legend in May. We found it unbearably hot. The extra space was wonderful, but we could not stand to be out there for more than 5 minutes at a time during the day.

I'm really bummed out about all of the negative comments about aft balconies being too hot. When I asked the Carnival agent about that specific question, she told me it has a nice breeze. I don't like being overly hot, and from reading these comments, it looks like I'll be sweating my a** off!:eek: We're doing the New Years cruise this year. Looks like I may look into switching cabins. I got the aft cabin at no extra cost on a promo that they were running. Hmmm. Maybe a wrap around will become available at final payment time.

This thread has me considering changing to a regular balcony. I don't think there is any overhang or shade on the Sunshine aft balconies. I just want the trip to be comfortable. The price of regular balconies is currently exactly the same as we paid for our aft. I don't know what to do on this one.

We had aft on both Legend and Triumph (4232 & 7433)

Not breezy at all and could be a lil warm but we enjoy the wake and peace & quiet.

Early bird so I get my roomservice coffee in the morning and I sit out there before dawn breaks.

The walk back isn't more then walking off some of all that food ;)

Next upcoming trip we splurged on the aft wrap on Valor and can't wait to sit outside watching the wake again!

No soot that I can remember on the other ships really.

We had aft on both Legend and Triumph (4232 & 7433)

Not breezy at all and could be a lil warm but we enjoy the wake and peace & quiet.

Early bird so I get my roomservice coffee in the morning and I sit out there before dawn breaks.

The walk back isn't more then walking off some of all that food ;)

Next upcoming trip we splurged on the aft wrap on Valor and can't wait to sit outside watching the wake again!

No soot that I can remember on the other ships really.

You will be spoiled once you sail on one of the Valor's aft wraps. We were in 7440 and it was a fantastic location.