Remembering Upgrades

tlw440

I was wondering who has ever been upgraded, not a upsell but a upgrade that you didn't have to pay extra for? Ours was in 2003 on the Carnival Paradise when it was a 7 day smoke free cruise out of Miami, we were upgraded from a ocean view to a grand suite. It was the only time we have been upgraded, we have had several offers for the upsell but have declined because of price.

Same for DH and I. One time we were upgraded from an OV to a Grand Suite. Also on the Paradise when it was smoke free. This was 2002. At that time, you checked in, then went up the escalators and to a table to get your room key. That's when we found out. One of the best surprises ever! Never had an upgrade or upsell call since.

Back in 2004, we were upgraded from an OV to GS on Elation.

Our daughter and son-in-law were also given the same upgrade. It was their first cruise.

Totally free.

Edited by KenMo

Actually YES. Quite often in fact! (I sail a LOT, so that may have something to do with it?) BEST free upgrade I ever got was last year aboard the "Breeze". I was upgraded, FREE, from an inside to an OCEAN SUITE! How sweet it was!!!!! ;)

"SKY"

Actually YES. Quite often in fact! (I sail a LOT, so that may have something to do with it?) BEST free upgrade I ever got was last year aboard the "Breeze". I was upgraded, FREE, from an inside to an OCEAN SUITE! How sweet it was!!!!! ;)

"SKY"

That was great, don't hear of many true upgrades anymore.:(

On the LEGEND in Jan. we were given a BALCONY from a French door. I kept asking how much NO CHARGE. We were on a B2B so had to move the end of the first week. I know we are weird but we weren't all that impressed with our first Balcony.

They called with the same offer for our Feb. B2B & we declined.

The first one was years ago our first cruise we went from a inside to OV. Didn't really know that it was a big deal.

Char

Although we are Diamond and have 37 cruises with 262 days, we have never been offered an upgrade, or even an upsell call. We sailed Carnival 5 times last year but it may only be 2 or 3 this year. On Fantasy class ships we almost always have an oceanview, but have had a couple of suites. On the bigger ships we always have a balcony cabin or a suite. Maybe we'll get an upgrade on the Paradise in 3 weeks.

I was wondering who has ever been upgraded, not a upsell but a upgrade that you didn't have to pay extra for? Ours was in 2003 on the Carnival Paradise when it was a 7 day smoke free cruise out of Miami, we were upgraded from a ocean view to a grand suite. It was the only time we have been upgraded, we have had several offers for the upsell but have declined because of price.

From Port Hole cabin to a balcony, deck 1 to deck 8 for both of my B2B cruises on the Glory this past February.

I have never been offered an upgrade or upsell. I would LOVE an upgrade and would be interested in an upsell but I have never been called. I always wonder when reading the boards if they target a specific port or part of the US.

I was upgraded from an inside stateroom to an extended balcony stateroom in 2012 after I called to inquire about a price drop after final payment. They didn't have to do anything, but they offered some small amount of OBC or the upgrade with no upcharge, so I took the upgrade! Never hurts to call when you see a price drop...you may get lucky!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

2005 on the Valor I was upgraded to an aft extended cabin. That was the only time. In fact I have never even gotten a call for an upsell. Not sure I would take it anyway.

We have been upgraded twice. On our very first Carnival Cruise in 2007 we booked an inside guarantee and were upgraded to an oceanview. We really liked the oceanview so booked a oceanview guarentee in 2008. Well we were upgraded again to an extended balcony. We have been booking balconies ever since. We now pick our cabin. Maybe upgrades have something to do with booking a guarantee.

2005 on the Valor I was upgraded to an aft extended cabin. That was the only time. In fact I have never even gotten a call for an upsell. Not sure I would take it anyway.

I don't like the upsell, the ones that I have been offered always priced to high.

Our entire group got upgraded on our very first cruise in 2005 on the Elation. We booked two OVs and 2 insides. They called us out 6 weeks out and were upgraded to 2 GS and 2 OVs. Our Ta explained that someone wanted a block of rooms together, so we got lucky. It was a great move...DH will only book a suite now. Plus when we go now we have anywhere between 4 and 7 rooms with our group.

I get the CDamion upgrade.

I book an interior stating that I don't need a window because I am not in the cabin that much.

Then after about a month, I switch to a porthole/obstructed view because it isn't that much more and it would be nice to at least have some light.

Then 3 months before the cruise, I say, well I want a view and decide to do a regular oceanview - but then I see an obstructed balcony and move to that.

Then a couple weeks later, since it really isn't that much more I switch to a regular balcony.

Carnival never has to call or offer me anything, I upsell myself as I start thinking about the cruise!!!!! This happens more than 50% of the time.

If I was on the list, they would say "No, don't call him - he will upsell himself and pay full price!"

I book an interior stating that I don't need a window because I am not in the cabin that much.

Then after about a month, I switch to a porthole/obstructed view because it isn't that much more and it would be nice to at least have some light.

Then 3 months before the cruise, I say, well I want a view and decide to do a regular oceanview - but then I see an obstructed balcony and move to that.

Then a couple weeks later, since it really isn't that much more I switch to a regular balcony.

Carnival never has to call or offer me anything, I upsell myself as I start thinking about the cruise!!!!! This happens more than 50% of the time.

If I was on the list, they would say "No, don't call him - he will upsell himself and pay full price!"

You may be right.

ROFL! I've done it twice already for our November cruise ... and I'm *this close to talking DH into just letting me upgrade the cruise itself! lol

And there is still like 8 months to go!

Sent from my Commadore 64 using the Cruise Critic forum app