Rum runners in luggage

CenTexGal

I agree with the comment of alcohol being cheaper in Spain than in the US. If you want to bring it anyway, just check the customs allowance. You are allowed to bring in a certain amount (1 liter?) without having to pay customes.

I agree with the comment of alcohol being cheaper in Spain than in the US. If you want to bring it anyway, just check the customs allowance. You are allowed to bring in a certain amount (1 liter?) without having to pay customes.

Rather than risking your clothing getting spoiled by leaking bottles in your luggage definitely buy any alcohol you want when you get here. If you let me know what it is you drink I can find the current prices for you - and you won´t be limited to your 1 litre allowance.

Edited by campolady

BTW, there's a duty free shop in the Barcelona cruise terminal, in case this is where you are cruising from...

Daft as it sounds, ordinary Spanish stores are generally cheaper than so called ' Duty Free' shops.

Edited by campolady

Daft as it sounds, ordinary Spanish stores are generally cheaper than so called ' Duty Free' shops.

Agreed. The beauty of it though is that is is past security, which means that purchases won't be confiscated.

We haven't had liquids confiscated when going on a cruise. Not like on airlines where you are not allowed any more than 100ml.

I also agree that normal shops for alcohol in Spain tend to be cheaper than the so called 'duty free'. There is hardly any duty charged on alcohol in Spain. Wish it was the same in the UK.

Thanks everyone, for your suggestions. We did check the regulations..after I posted this and see we can bring in a liter each in our checked bags.

Shopping the duty free shop is not an option if it is AFTER security because we will need this to go in our checked bag, not carry on.....assuming you drop off your bags before security, like in the states. We just take a little "adult beverage" on so we can have a drink on our balcony occasionally! ;)

Are Coke and Diet Coke readily available in the stores?

Thanks again everyone!!

We haven't had liquids confiscated when going on a cruise. Not like on airlines where you are not allowed any more than 100ml.

I also agree that normal shops for alcohol in Spain tend to be cheaper than the so called 'duty free'. There is hardly any duty charged on alcohol in Spain. Wish it was the same in the UK.

Many cruise lines have policies that will not allow passengers to bring food or drinks on board. Of course it is not really a security measure but designed to maximize onboard revenue. I've seen alcohol confiscated. Ouf course they would not bother to confiscate 100ml, but a liter of hard liquor will likely make the cut with many lines.

This will be our seventh cruise and we have taken (smuggled) alcohol on every time with no problem...of course, there is a first time for everything. We still manage several drinks a day from the bar:eek:

Thanks everyone,