Kite Flying?

Fern Crest

I have a question that I hadn't seen anywhere else, so here goes ... We have beach kites (the sturdier ones made with the graphite composite support rods and ripstop nylon), and I was wondering if the tropical breezes would be enough to get the kites aloft on the beaches? We'll be visiting Puerto Rico, St Thomas and Tortola. Should we leave these Cape Cod kites home and just bring regular ones in case the balmy breezes aren't enough?

Wouldn't it be neat to be able to launch a kite off the back of the Legend as we pull out of New York Harbor? ::grins, thinking of the national incident caused when a kite gets caught in the torch arm of Lady Liberty::

I have a question that I hadn't seen anywhere else, so here goes ... We have beach kites (the sturdier ones made with the graphite composite support rods and ripstop nylon), and I was wondering if the tropical breezes would be enough to get the kites aloft on the beaches? We'll be visiting Puerto Rico, St Thomas and Tortola. Should we leave these Cape Cod kites home and just bring regular ones in case the balmy breezes aren't enough?

Wouldn't it be neat to be able to launch a kite off the back of the Legend as we pull out of New York Harbor? ::grins, thinking of the national incident caused when a kite gets caught in the torch arm of Lady Liberty::

In San Juan I have always seen people flying kites in the grassy area around El Morro, many sites claim its one of the best places to fly kites in the world.

http://www.zuji.com/dest/guide/0,1277,ZUJIAU|1741|2714|1,00.html

http://www.trekearth.com/gallery/North_America/photo138718.htm

http://www.lonelyplanet.com/destinations/caribbean/san_juan/activities.htm

http://www.davidsanger.com/alamyimages/A8H71B.html

Carnival specifically says you can't fly kites from ships. I've always wanted to evrytime we pulled out of port:D

Quote from Carnival's FAQ on their web site:

Due to "Safety Concerns", the following items cannot be utilized on board but may be brought on board for use in port, only:

Roller Blades/Skates

Snorkel Gear

Skateboards

Golf Clubs

Fishing Rods (packed)

Tennis Rackets

Kites (packed)

Back in the day, I was up very late one night on the old TSS Carnivale. I went out for a stroll on deck and came across a gentlemen who I had recognized as one of the participants on the shipboard "Newlywed Game." He was attempting to fly a kite off the aft of the ship and not having much luck doing so.

"You need some tail," I suggested.

He sighed and said, "That's what I told my wife and she told me to go fly a kite."

Back in the day, I was up very late one night on the old TSS Carnivale. I went out for a stroll on deck and came across a gentlemen who I had recognized as one of the participants on the shipboard "Newlywed Game." He was attempting to fly a kite off the aft of the ship and not having much luck doing so.

"You need some tail," I suggested.

He sighed and said, "That's what I told my wife and she told me to go fly a kite."

Insert rimshot here please....tef you're too funny! Actually if you want to fly a kite on a ship, check out the boats of the Delta Queen Steamship Co. Don't know if it's still allowed but it was when I was on it and they even provided the kites! Gotta watch out for that kite eating paddlewheel though!:eek:

Archived