High wattage hairdryer

circee

Hi ,

Hope this board can help with my question. I just bought a high wattage professional hair dryer. I LOVE it because it blow drys my hair as straight as a flat iron. However, i just visited my folks and the darn thing kept blowing a fuse in their house. Now I'm worried about taking it on my caribbean cruise this fall. Has anyone used an appliance like this on a cruise ship? Thanks for any help or advice.

Claudia

My travel dryer (I think it's 1200 watt) has almost blown the fuse in a ships' cabin before. Of course, this was on an older ship, the newer ships may be wired for a lot more wattage. Make sure it has an emergency shut-off, so you don't blow the fuse for the whole deck you're on! My travel dryer will cut off if the current isn't strong enough. I think, I'm no electrician.

This is the reason for no irons onboard a ship, the wattage is too high. Most people think it is because the iron will catch on fire if it is left on. If that were the case, I should have burned down my house a couple of times over the years.

I think it is very thoughtful of you to check on this before there is a problem, you may have to speak to someone on the ship about it.

The hairdryer has the shut off if you drop it in water or the ground is interrupted but I don't think that would stop from blowing out fuses . . . I'd better check with Celebrity because we are not sailing on one of the newer ships. How embarrassing would that be if I blew the fuses on the whole deck!

When I went on the Norwegian spirit, the ship had recently been brought over to the US from Asia (the Orient Line).

Since we had sailed on NCL and I had used my hairdryer without a problem before, I didn't realize that I might have a problem with my hair dryer until I read on the boards somewhere that they hadn't completely converted the electrical outlets to accept US appliances!

At least I could make do with the provided (weak) hair dryer! I think I used mine a few times (on low) so that I could actually make progress on getting my hair dry. :)

I would try and check on one of the boards about the ship that you're sailing on to make sure, or check the cruise line's information.

Thanks all for the info. My hair dryer is 2000w so it sounds like it would be pretty iffy. I'd better take one of my older hair dryers . . even my older one would be better than the weak ones on board.

Archived