Camera for cave tubing?

Drewgirl

People have posted such great, high-resolution shots of their cave tubing experiences, which has me wondering: should we plan on getting a waterproof camera? Have past photographers been happy with the results of single-use ones?

We only have a honking big EOS, and I'm loathe to take it on the trip at all, but it was a gift from hubby and he loves the darned thing. But that is clearly not the right camera to take on such an excursion.

Any input at all, on this and other logistics like what to wear/how to store towels, is greatly appreciated!

People have posted such great, high-resolution shots of their cave tubing experiences, which has me wondering: should we plan on getting a waterproof camera? Have past photographers been happy with the results of single-use ones?

We only have a honking big EOS, and I'm loathe to take it on the trip at all, but it was a gift from hubby and he loves the darned thing. But that is clearly not the right camera to take on such an excursion.

Any input at all, on this and other logistics like what to wear/how to store towels, is greatly appreciated!

We used a single-use one and the pics were just OK. Our guide suggested getting a waterproof case, but he also said they were expensive. I guess it depends on how much you value having high-res pics.

• 2 weeks later...

One time use camera pics are junk IMO. I brought my Cannon point & shoot & it worked just fine. I think the companies say to bring a waterproof camera to cover their butts but if you are coordinated, then a regular camera would work just fine. The ride is very smooth & slow. I did put mine in a Ziploc bag just in case & there were a couple of spots where water dripped from the ceiling but nothing that would be damaging IMO. Unfortunately, an EOS would be too cumbersome.

If you want good/excellent pictures, you don't want a one use camera at all.

I have an Olympus Tough camera and it takes amazing pictures both underwater and above (and even night pictures). I don't go anywhere without it and I leave my DSLR at home on vacations now. :D