Do you disinfect your cabin upon arrival?

Kobayashi

No, and honestly I think people who do this are being silly.

Do you seriously think you are disinfecting every germ filled surface? lol

And even if you did (which you won't) the second you leave the cabin and touch anything else, all your time cleaning was for nothing.

You're much more likely to pick up a bug in a public place such as the lido deck. Are you going to bring your cleaning supplies there and wash the underside of every table and the crevice of every chair? ;)

We take Clorox Hydrogen Peroxide wipes (tho I just recently read that peroxide is not effective against noro don't know how true that is) and in hotels and on cruises we wipe down counter tops, phones, remotes, door knobs etc..there is always something I think of later that I should have wiped down, like light switches.. Haven't gotten sick yet..but I will continue to do this because maybe this is why we haven't gotten ill AND it takes only a few minutes to do. But then, what about the fabric on the sofas and chairs?? I've heard noro lives on them...so it's difficult to know what to do, but doing this when we arrive at least makes us feel better.

We also take a supplement called Esberitox...learned about it on the Disney message boards years ago and have been taking it whenever we travel and whenever we feel like we are "coming down" with something...I swear buy this stuff..have not been sick like I used in years!

With alcohol, you're pretty much just movng the virus around. Incidental proof only of benefit with household chlorine bleach concentration of 5 to 25 tbsp per gallon of water. The CDC has a list of things that may help but prevention with soap and water is the best

Reference CDC. Gov/norovirus/preventing-infection.

, I would use handwashing the occasional hand cleansers and common sense. Hope no one pukes on me, and try to break this hand to face habit

We always toss the remote control into a zip lock baggie.The remote isn't going to be germ free with a wipe down. The thought of the previous naked passenger guy laying in bed watching TV and scratching his crotch really does stick with me :eek: so this is why I do this.

Any wiping down is going to get ruined when the room attendant comes through with a reusable cleaning rag anyways :(

Thanks for the giggle…real life! I'll admit it, my sense of humor is still quite juvenile ;)

No, we don't disinfect anything. I've thought about it in the past, but I always forget the wipes at home. Perhaps lucky, never have gotten sick on a cruise or any other vacation. Oh, I did catch a cold while we were in Italy, started coming down with it on the flight home. So I could have caught it onboard, although we'd been onboard for 13 days prior, wiping down the cabin would have had no effect there.

Last cruise on the elevator a couple got on. They asked if someone would push the button for them as they didn't want to get germs. No one would so they got off. Too funny, they were pretty mad!

You want me to infect my fingers so you don't have to.:eek:

....someone on the elevator should have pressed all the floor buttons then exited......that would have fixed their Clorex butts........

We always bring an extra suitcase with full hazmat suits, a variety of cleaning chemicals and tools, a UV light to identify any special areas that need individual attention, and then wear a surgical face mask and latex free gloves at all times. You can never be too safe.

d61b108a8be974d77e95f6b669f86d22.jpg166-0500edu_view.jpg307.jpglatex-free-221x163.png

All kidding aside, we have never, and will probably never be so paranoid. I just turned 64, have been travelling for most of my life, and I rarely get sick, at home or on vacation. Some people are much too scared of everything.

Edited by SantaFeFan

I have, just because I like to know that when I'm in my room I don't feel like I have to wash my hands every time I touch something. Since I'm in the room for the week, I want to feel comfortable and at ease.

I read in another thread about someone cleaning their cabin as soon as they enter. So I purchased some disinfectant wipes to do the same on my next cruise - less than 48 hours! Does anyone else do this and do you have a cleaning ritual?

No, but we do bait and set the rat traps at night before we go to bed.

No, but we do bait and set the rat traps at night before we go to bed.

I figured that I would check in o Cruise Critic one more time tonight before going to bed. I am sure glad that I did because you reminded me that I need to bait and set my traps, especially the one under my bed!:D

K, wiping down the surfaces of your cabin along with other precautions is just what the CDC recommends to help prevent the spread of the Norovirus (Stomach flu). It is a highly contagious virus that causes inflammation of the stomach and intestines. This can lead to diarrhea, vomiting, and stomach pains. It is the number one cause of gastroenteritis in the US and can be very serious. People are hospitalized every year from this virus as well as dying from complications.

Being in a closed place such as a cruise ship can cause the virus to spread quickly. It just takes a few particles of the Novovirus to make you sick. The virus can remain on surfaces for several weeks once it has been contaminated. Putting your fingers in your mouth after touching the surface can lead to being sick. You can also become sick from food and liquids that have been contaminated from someone that is sick.

There is no vaccine against this virus nor is there a cure once you have it. The main way to prevent spread is good hand washing, with warm water and soap. Wash your hands before touching your hands to your mouth (eating, drinking and brushing your teeth) and after going to the bathroom, changing diapers, or touching high-hand contact surfaces (door knobs, elevator buttons and railings), returning to your cabin, helping a sick person and blowing your nose.

So would I wipe down the surfaces of my room? You bet I would. As a nurse I know that I can't always prevent myself or others from getting sick but if there is something that I can do to ante up my odds you bet I am going to do it. I also carry diarrhea and nausea pills as well as Tylenol. And if I have small children with me I also carry fluids to help prevent dehydration. Call me a worry wart but I will be prepared if the worst happens. And if nothing happens than I smile as I go down the gangplank and remember to wash my hands as soon as I can!!! So don't let the neysayers get to you. You do what you need to do to keep yourself and your family members safe and well.

Best cruis}ing to you and may you never get sick on board (and remember to wash your hands!!!!)!_

I figured that I would check in o Cruise Critic one more time tonight before going to bed. I am sure glad that I did because you reminded me that I need to bait and set my traps, especially the one under my bed!:D

You guys make me laugh. Thanks.

I really like the idea of putting a baggy on the remote that one member on page 1 of this thread mentioned. I usually put a tissue or napkin over it. And I wished they had paper napkins at the serving stations. I would use that to cover the handles of the serving spoons.

I'm not a germaphobe, but am cautious. Certainly doesnt hurt.

I wipe down the phone, the remote and handles when I first arrive. That's it.

I do have a friend who insists on not only disinfecting all surfaces, but re-cleans the tub/shower and sink when she arrives at a hotel room. I was really surprised the first time I saw her doing it.

I admit it, I am a hypochondriac, so yes I will wipe down surfaces as well as bring my travel Lysol.

Will it do any good? Maybe not, but being a hypochondriac and getting sick on our last cruise (just a cold, not noro), I'm willing to risk being silly.

Now, the remote in a plastic bag interests me. What size baggie? Your steward will leave it in there? Call me nuts, but I really like this idea

Yes I do clean my cabin.I see how some people behave on the ship and I wonder how clean was the last person in my cabin. I clean light switches, the remote, door handles. I clean the drawers before I put my clothes in and I clean the hangers and the inside of the wardrobes.

I always use a wet wipe to press the lift buttons, never touch them with my hand. I carry my own little bottle of antiviral hand wash in my handbag when out and about on the ship and on excursions.

I just bought Lysol III Professional spray. It kills Norovirus. I will spray everything in my cabin. Now, will I catch it somewhere else on the ship? Probably. But I control what I can and take a chance with the rest! :)

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Yes, but not entirely. I wipe down the tv remote and I usually disinfect the bathroom and ask the cabin steward not to clean the bathroom during our cruise, because they just use the same towels and sponges that they use in every other cabin. I just clean I myself, when necessary.