RCL All-Inclusive Alcohol Packages

We've purchased the package on two cruises now and thought it was well worth it. Our decision wasn't based on whether we would "lose" or "make" money on the deal (though, I don't think RC came out too much ahead if it did. :)) The main thing DH and I like is that we know the price going in. One less thing to think about on vacation -- which is a good thing. Also, with the package, if I want to try a drink I've never tried before - I will. If I don't like it, I don't feel I should try to finish a so-so drink (or have DH drink it for me ;)) like I would have had we paid $$$ for each drink. It was also great to get bottles of water plus some pop (MN term for soda) now and then, which is also included.

The one drawback I thought was that as Diamond members - having the package basically negated the Diamond Lounge drinks as being a "perk" for us. I wish they'd give even a token amount of discount on the package if one is Diamond or higher.

I have also been debating the pros & cons of the pkg for our upcoming Allure cruise. At this point I don't think we are going to do it. Our alcohol bill has never been that much. We aren't big soda drinkers but do drink a lot of water. On past cruises we never want to pay for water so we usually just drink it from the Windjammer or Cafe Promenade. I know if it is included we would drink the bottled water but it's something we have never done before. I'm sure some days we would drink close to that amount but the port days I'm sure we wouldn't. We will probably do the wine pkg again bc with DH , myself, & DD a bottle of wine at dinner is nice to have.

Still deciding but at this point I don't think so.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Here's the way I look at it: the prices charged weren't arrived at randomly. The cruise line is going to make a profit. Maybe not off of everybody but eventually the house wins.

On our cruise in November, the house won against my 24 yr old nephew for not having a drink package. He claimed he wasn't going to drink much knowing he didn't have a drink package...ya right. His bar bill was a little over $600. We also found that by tipping a dollar or two extra to our server a few times on the pool deck we were able to get drinks quite frequently, for other people at our table and he even brought over free drinks from time to time. ;):)

On whether it is "worth" it ... many factors, but if you would end up spending much more than you normally would actually spend, it's probably not worth it. If it's close, then hey, it might be worth a shot. I know that I, personally, would feel like a package would make my "job" on the ship trying to get my money's worth. I could buy a drink whenever I actually felt the need and still come in much less than the overall package price ... but obviously to each cruiser his or her own.

The new packages allow any wine (per glass) up to the set amount. That does exclude some glasses of course, but there are still a LOT of choices below the limit.

That being said, if you can bring that many bottles onboard the package is less attractive.

Personally I don't think I'd get my money's worth. I prefer wine and the house wine included in package is not the best. Also it's been my experience that it can be hard to get drinks at dinner which is where I do a lot of my drinking. Thus I prefer a bottle of wine at the table so I can pour it as fast as I want. And I don't drink soda. So I get the wine bottle package and pay for the rest a la carte.

Additionally we bring 4 bottles on (2 cabins) so with that and our package it's 9 bottles of wine, and my wife might drink 2. So that's a bottle a day for me!

Total price of wine package is 189.75 for 5, I'll spend about 60 for bottle to bring, so total price is 249.75 or $35 per day, for both of us. Cheapest package is $40 per day per person.

Now I wouldn't be astonished if my bill at the end of the cruise is slightly more than a package would have cost, but the odds are it will be cheaper for me to do it this way.

Also we have 4 port days, and we tend to be pretty active, so there's not enough time to drink that much.