What to do at Mahogany Bay, Isla Roatan

txjudy54

This is a video (not mine) of West bay beach in Roatan. The best snorkeling I have ever done and all in about 4 to 5 feet of water right off the beach.Incredible !!

Nice video. Yep, we have been there as well (I have a review in my siggie as well). :)

Another BIG vote for Victor Boden private tours !!!! You can go zip lining and then snorkeling (which was amazing!!). Stay away from all the big crowds and the typical boat tours, really see the beauty of Rotan via private tour. There is a lot of info on Victor Boden Tours on Ports of Call Threads!!!! Have fun, it is beautiful there!!!! One of my favorite ports ever!

Do you know what the price of snorkeling is? I know it's not included in the zip n dip fee of $65/pp and was trying to get an idea of the cost for the day if we do the zip n dip and then snorkel.

Do you know what the price of snorkeling is? I know it's not included in the zip n dip fee of $65/pp and was trying to get an idea of the cost for the day if we do the zip n dip and then snorkel.

The zip n dip snorkeling at west bay beach is included and its really nice !!! The video I posted above is from the beach you will be taken to

The snorkeling is right there at the beach you go to. You just walk in and snorkel. There's no charge to snorkel. However, you will need to rent your snorkel equipment if you don't have your own. There are people walking up and down the beach that will haggle with you on pricing for the equipment. When we were there, we found someone to rent for $10 each I think it was.

We were on the Magic in January and took the Carnival excursion to Maya Key. It was just as Mitsugirly said - AWESOME snorkeling! It was the most beautiful snorkeling I've ever seen. I could have stayed in the water forever looking at everything. It was 100% reef, and there were fish and beautiful coral everywhere. My husband also snorkeled with the sharks there (they are in a large pen). There are a few animals on the island to see. The trip also includes a very good lunch. We really enjoyed the day. What made it for me was the snorkeling...

We chose Maya Key because of Mitsugirly's review in her signature line, and her pictures. It sounded like a for-sure great place to snorkel - and it was!

However, if we ever get to go back, I would like to venture out a little and see more of the island, and hopefully snorkel at West Bay.

I took the sky lift to the beach and snorkeled so fun

~Natasha

Did you have to pay to snorkel at the beach; if so do you remember about how much it cost to do it? Can you just lay on the beach if you wanted to to and enjoy a drink?

Tabyana Beach has very good snorkeling plus other facilities (food, drinks, etc.) . Any taxi driver will take you there.

~~~

Tabyana Beach is a small section of West Bay Beach and its facilities are not open to anyone but those who booked an excursion with their ship. You certainly can walk the beach there near the water as the beaches are public. But you will have to rent chairs from another location if you want one. There are plenty of very good restaurants down the beach as well as places to rent snorkel equipment. You can catch a water taxi to visit West End fromWest Bay beach too.

• 1 month later...

Check out Ronys Tours at http://www.ronystours.com/. Rony took us all around the island for the day, you can choose what you want to see from a list he provides. We had a group of 6 and we planned ahead with him via phone and email what we wanted to do and we had a great time. We zip-lined for the first time in our lives and had a great time, stopped at the beach but it was raining so didn't stay long, went through the Monkey encounter which was so fun, went shopping and had lunch at his mother's restaurant. We really wanted to do more at the beach but it ended up being a raining day so he drove us around to a lot of different places to stop and see and because of the weather I am so glad we didn't just plan a day at the beach and get stuck with that. It is a great way to see the island and learn about their culture from a very nice local.

If you want to get out of the tourist man-made beach of Mahogany bay and do some awesome snorkeling...I suggest Maya Key. It's a private island and it's beautiful there. They have several different things to do while there and the snorkeling is simply amazing!!!! You walk right down the dock and in to the water and it's right there!! I have a complete review with TONS of pictures included. We love this place. Also, the ONLY way to book this place now is by using your cruise ship (no matter which cruise line you are coming in on). But, it's well worth it. :)

I will start by saying that your reviews and pics are the best, thank you so much. I have seen you recommend Little French Key as a favorite before. We are going in May.. on RCI.. so will dock at Coxen Hole for the first time (previous Princess) we aren't snorkelers (not strong swimmers) but are bringing two adult children (20 somethings) who would enjoy it - what would you suggest? Thanks.

I will start by saying that your reviews and pics are the best, thank you so much. I have seen you recommend Little French Key as a favorite before. We are going in May.. on RCI.. so will dock at Coxen Hole for the first time (previous Princess) we aren't snorkelers (not strong swimmers) but are bringing two adult children (20 somethings) who would enjoy it - what would you suggest? Thanks.

Thanks so much for the compliment.

Well, it's a hard decision. If you are docking at Coxen Hole, Maya Key is right there beside you and 5 min away. There's a lot to do there, but it's not your "heavenly" beach type of area. The grounds are beautiful and everything there, but just nothing compared to LFK. If you adult children want the experience of a lifetime with snorkeling, Maya Key is it!

Little French Key is the paradise there. So relaxing, plenty to see there too with the animals and several different beaches. The area that you dock at on LFK (what I like to call the "lagoon area" because it is situated between LFK and another island) is just gorgeous. There are things to see there (as far as snorkeling) and I was quite content with the sea life I found there in that area that day. However, for an extra $10 (I think) the "kids" can schedule the snorkel tour, which is right out in front of LFK (or they can take a canoe out there) and I hear it's awesome snorkeling with a reef. Next time we go, I am definitely trying it. I want to know what I missed. :D

It's really a hard decision and it would depend on what your family is interested in doing. I would just look over all of my pictures of both places and see which place appeals to you the most. I personally don't think you can go wrong with either.

Thanks so much for the compliment.

Well, it's a hard decision. If you are docking at Coxen Hole, Maya Key is right there beside you and 5 min away. There's a lot to do there, but it's not your "heavenly" beach type of area. The grounds are beautiful and everything there, but just nothing compared to LFK. If you adult children want the experience of a lifetime with snorkeling, Maya Key is it!

Little French Key is the paradise there. So relaxing, plenty to see there too with the animals and several different beaches. The area that you dock at on LFK (what I like to call the "lagoon area" because it is situated between LFK and another island) is just gorgeous. There are things to see there (as far as snorkeling) and I was quite content with the sea life I found there in that area that day. However, for an extra $10 (I think) the "kids" can schedule the snorkel tour, which is right out in front of LFK (or they can take a canoe out there) and I hear it's awesome snorkeling with a reef. Next time we go, I am definitely trying it. I want to know what I missed. :D

It's really a hard decision and it would depend on what your family is interested in doing. I would just look over all of my pictures of both places and see which place appeals to you the most. I personally don't think you can go wrong with either.

Thanks for your quick and thorough response.. I will check the pics, compare prices and decide..I am sure it will be fun either way.:)

• 2 months later...
Is there a non-excursion way to get to a beach?

We like to go on our own.

excursion being thur the ship?

sure, book a tour driver or pay the non regulated taxi fee.

We could better answer you question if you tell us what do you need in a beach and where is your ship docking.

If you are asking about mahogany bay on roatan, you can easily walk to the free manmade beach. I was very impressed with how well it was built. Lots of loungers. Warning though, we got bit by some version of TX chiggers. Did feel the bites til the next day. Lots of welts on our arms. I suggest the TX pre-remedy.... Take 2 tablespoons vinegar the day before. U will sweat vinegar and they wont bite.