Canal tours in Amsterdam

Hi fellow travelers, We are off to Amsterdam in May 2014 and thinking about a canal tour. We would like to narrow down our choices to either the Blue boat tour or Amsterdam canal tour. Any last minute thoughts,suggestions would be so appreciated.

Thanks

Sue. New Jersey

There are people on here with much more knowledge of Amsterdam than me, but, after 23 years of visiting several time each year, I have to say they are all very much similar.

There is a regular service, by Canal Bus, which operates from alongside the Passenger Terminal, if that is where you dock, at De Zouthavn (South Haven). It is 2 minutes from the terminal.

A short walk (15mins) into Central Station will take you to several easily accessible and regular canal tour companies. Or take tram #26 from outside the terminal to the station, €2.80 (2013 prices) for a one-hour ticket.

Blue Boat are very good, but unless they have changed their locations, they sail from the Museumplein - some distance, but readily accessible by tram. At the station or on Damrak you will find good tours, close to the Passenger Terminal.

I am organising two private canal boat trips whilst in the city on 30 April for RCL cruisers from Legend of the Seas.

I am happy to offer advice, but as I said there is at least one person (Ine) who is local and I would always defer to his knowledge.