Croke Park from ship or downtown

We are planning to attend an American football game @ Croke Park. Can we walk (Around Noon) from Temple Bar or back after the game (approx. 1700) Is it safe to walk this route??? Or is a cab ride the way to go???

This is on Saturday August 30, 2014. I heard that this a busy weekend in Dublin

To walk from Temple Bar to Croke Park takes 20 minutes approx. Walking to the ground on the day of a big gaelic football or hurling match, especially if Dublin are playing, is an integral part of savouring the atmosphere of the occasion. The bars en-route are packed with thousands of supporters, spilling out on to the street, enjoying a pre-match pint or three. A taxi would take longer to get there as it would be slowed to a standstill by the crowd walking on the streets. I guess for an American football game the atmosphere will probably be a bit more restrained.

The route is perfectly safe although, if you go into a bar on the way, beware of pickpockets. My brother-in-law had costly match tickets stolen some years back. On the following day, Sunday 31 August, the All Ireland football semi-final takes place in Croke Park. However most supporters only travel to Dublin on the Sunday, so the city should not be especially busy on the Saturday. Enjoy the occasion.

Dermot