clothes steamer

I believe they ask you not to for safety reasons, but heaps of people do regardless. We personally don't take anything like that onboard, but plan our clothing around it. I also believe there is a product available that you can spray on your clothes that remove wrinkles.

To answer the OP's question, are you "allowed" to bring a steamer onboard, the answer is NO. Can you get away with it? As previous posters have stated, yes you can. As one who has dealt with fires onboard ships, and on cruise ships in particular, I get fairly annoyed at people who feel that safety rules do not apply to them, since they are on vacation. While you may be a responsible person who always unplugs your appliances, there is always the time when you are distracted and forget, and there is no guarantee that the person you are advising to bring a steamer or iron onboard will be as responsible as you.

Nothing with a heating element is allowed in any cabin, passenger or crew. The exceptions are for ladies' hair care appliances, and while we onboard sweat over these as well, the cruise lines are smart enough to know that they can not be banned, even on ships that provide hair dryers in the cabins. There is no such thing as a perfectly safe heating appliance, and even those with "auto off" features (which I understand some lines are requiring) can and do fail.

I'll get off my fire safety soap box now.

My last post was not directed at you, as you were asking an honest question. My problem is with folks who not only feel free to go against cruise lines' posted policies, but feel free to advise others to follow their lead.

My last post was not directed at you, as you were asking an honest question. My problem is with folks who not only feel free to go against cruise lines' posted policies, but feel free to advise others to follow their lead.

FYI: RCCL just started with the steamer ban this year. They are doing it because of the new steamers that now have metal plates so you can iron with them. A curling iron has a heated tube which is much more likely to start a piece of material on fire. I have never seen anything on a steamer starting a fire. Shame on your flame.

As a heavy business traveler over the course of many years - a trick I've always used which has worked well is to hang your clothes over the shower rod and turn the shower on full hot for a few minutes. Close the curtain/door as much as you can, and on a ship close the bathroom door too. The hot water generally does a good job of filling the small space with steam. Leave the water on for 5 minutes or so, then shut it off but leave the doors closed for another half hour or so for the steam to dissipate. Let the clothes hang for a few more hours to dry any dampness, and they come out wrinkle-free and looking good!