Did the requirements for cruising to Mexico with minors change?

CatlinSTJ

From Carnival FAQs:

All Guest Traveling to Mexico

To debark for more than 24 hours in Mexico, guests must have obtained a Mexican Tourist Card from either a travel agent or a Mexican consulate prior to their departure.

If you are traveling with minor children without both parents/legal guardians and plan on terminating your cruise in Mexico; please Click Here for important information.

The "click here" isn't working for me, but from what I can find online the requirement has been changed to say that you only need the letter if you are terminating (ending) your cruise in Mexico. This would be a change from the past when it stated that anyone traveling to Mexico with a minor without both parents/legal guardians needed the letter. It makes a lot more sense really, and we've never been asked for the letter.

Next cruise: Carnival Breeze June 2014

It hasn't changed, it has just been written to make it clearer.

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/268/kw/minor%20child%20travel/session/L3NpZC9HUjQ3Qy10bA%3D%3D

I have maintained all along it wasn't needed because if it was required, it would have been required to get on the ship.

There are people that claim they were stopped on their return and asked for the letter, and recently one woman says they were asked for it on the return to the ship in Cozumel. Both of which makes no sense. First the US has no requirements for such a letter so why would you be asked for it on your return and as for Coumel, if you fly in they do want it and look it over closely, but they do not ask for it when you are getting on the plane to return home.

Having a letter doesn't do a thing to begin with because in my case, the letter had been signed by my boyfriend who is not the kids father because we do not know where he is, but of course we all had passports so there was no way of knowing who was actually listed as the father to begin with. Besides that, the guy that checked our paper work at the airport when we arrived, although he seemed to go over it very closely, I would bet a years salary, he could not read a word he was looking at.

Interesting! We've always had it and it's (luckily) not a huge ordeal for us as we're on decent terms with my ex and his girlfriend is a notary. Our daughter will be just short of 18 this summer anyway, so likelihood of being asked for the documentation is minimal, the changed wording just caught my attention when I happened to look up something else on the website.

Interesting! We've always had it and it's (luckily) not a huge ordeal for us as we're on decent terms with my ex and his girlfriend is a notary. Our daughter will be just short of 18 this summer anyway, so likelihood of being asked for the documentation is minimal, the changed wording just caught my attention when I happened to look up something else on the website.

Yeah, I have always tried to explain it when someone was havin difficulty getting a letter ined for whatever reason not to sweat it, but of course, according to "the gang" I was wrong and several people would post how they were asked for it and was so lucky they had it. Usually at customs on their return. Again, why were they being asked there? One woman who would sometimes post claimed to be a cruise check in worker and proudly claimed she always asked for it and you had better have it, but every time I asked what happened if they did not have the letter I never got an answer and I think that was because the answer was nothing because there is nothing you could do because it was never required, only suggested. Big difference. But I decided if you did come up with such a check in person, just say it was left in the car, leave that check in point and go to another one.

I would just sit here smh while the person haveing difficulty was being told to get a lawyer and go to court blah, blah, blah. Not only the cost involved for the lawyer, court filing, etc, but possibly time off work and other things to get something that was never needed in the first place if on a cruise.

My favorite all time story was the woman who had gone on a cruise with her kids and had the letter from her ex the first time (although never asked for it) and was now wanting to take them again. This time the husband was in jail and when she finally figured out a way to get it to him to sign, he would not in. She was in a tizzy to say the least and must have bugged the carnival people to death because they finally advised her to just cross out the dates on the other one she still had and write in the new dates. I still laugh about that sometimes.

Now anyone with any common sense would know that would never fly on a required document but that is exactly what she did and was all set for her cruise.

I ahve always said, if it is not a problem getting it and it will make you feel better, then no harm, but if you have to go out of your way, just don't sweat it and I am so glad that Carnival has clearified it because I know what it is like to have minor children and have problems with the father of said children and people telling you stuff that they believe or want to believe to be true that simply is not.