Taxi to airport/station

saliecat

How easy is it to get a taxi to airport/station after disembarkation. Is it advisable to pre-book or take a chance.

I can be flexible with waiting etc. as I am going to Southampton Central, but my sister has to get to Southampton airport to catch her flight.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

(On Azura - 7th April 2014 )

How easy is it to get a taxi to airport/station after disembarkation. Is it advisable to pre-book or take a chance.

I can be flexible with waiting etc. as I am going to Southampton Central, but my sister has to get to Southampton airport to catch her flight.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

(On Azura - 7th April 2014 )

No need to pre-book, there are always plenty of taxis

Thank-you for the quick response.

That's put our minds at rest.

This is a first cruise for both my sister and I, so really looking forward to it.

This website has been a hive of brilliant information.

Pre-booking can be a problem, as you never know exactly when you will be off the ship - and sometimes the arrival terminal can change at short notice.

I take the phone number of a local taxi firm and phone them to order a car as we are called to disembark the ship - by the time we have got our luggage the taxi is just round the corner.

It depends how many ships are in Southampton on the day - sometimes it can be busy and there is a longer wait for a taxi.

If you're going to Southampton Central your sister could share the taxi and get the train to Southampton Parkway (just opposite the airport terminal) or you could both taxi to the airport and you could get your train from Parkway station.

Have you checked out the train Saliecat? There is major engineering work going on in Southampton when you get back (and maybe on the way out but I am not sure). If your sister went to Southampton Central, she would then need to get the replacement bus to the Airport. It only takes 20 minutes or so but those buses can be crowded and uncomfortable. How it affects you will depend on where you are travelling to. Check out your local rail operator or see here: http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/service_disruptions/indicator.aspx.

I am on a 2-nighter on 18th April and had thought of going by train until I knew this.

Good luck.

Hi

I have checked out my train journey there and back from Southampton Central.

I have not a problem going, but, I know now, a replacement bus service is in place for returning to Southampton Central.

My train ticket is valid for 'any time' travel, but my sister will need to get to the airport by a certain time.

I'm going to check again, but I think that if I taxi to the airport, I can pick up the replacement bus to the station.

Thank-you to all for your replies

Trish

I can't remember if it is P&O, or Cunard, that give the option of pre-booking a taxi whilst on board - they make a booking for you with a local cab firm (I think it is West Quay Cars) - I've not used it as we don't need to go far, so just wait in the queue for the next available (& it's never been too long - there is usually a steady stream of cars as long as there aren't traffic issues outside the port)

I can't remember if it is P&O, or Cunard, that give the option of pre-booking a taxi whilst on board - they make a booking for you with a local cab firm (I think it is West Quay Cars) - I've not used it as we don't need to go far, so just wait in the queue for the next available (& it's never been too long - there is usually a steady stream of cars as long as there aren't traffic issues outside the port)

I don't know about P&O, but Cunard does this. I have done it twice when there were four ships arriving and I thought it might take a while to get a taxi. The booking fee is US$10 which goes to Cunard and the fare is payable to the driver. Both times it was a swindle. When we got through the customs hall no-one knew anything about pre-booking a taxi. But both times there was no wait for one. I'm not sure why I booked this a second time after our first experience, you would think I would learn.:confused: But it's only $10.