Connecting in Madrid

ljshome

I am flying from DFW to Munich in April, connecting thru MAD from AA (terminal 4S) to airberlin (terminal 2). I have a 3 hour layover. I understand I will have to take a bus between terminals. Can anyone who has done this give me some tips and ideas? Do I have enough time? What is pAssport control likely to be like? Will I have to reclaim and recheck luggage? I know, lots of questions, first trip to Europe....excited! Any advice will be appreciated.

How did you end up on airberlin between MAD and MUC? Is this all on one ticket or two separate tickets? Both AA and airberlin codeshare on Iberia between Madrid and Munich.

If it really is one ticket and it really is airberlin (check to make sure it doesn't say "operated by Iberia" on the ticket someplace) then you'll go through passport control at T4S and take the train to T4 (the main terminal; "S" means satellite) and take a shuttle bus to T2. Your bags will be transferred, you'll go through bag claim and customs in Munich.

If it's two tickets, then you'll reclaim your bags at T4 and take them on the bus to T2, and re-check them there.

If it's really Iberia, then you'll go through passport control at T4S and take the train to T4, but your flight to Munich will depart from T4, so no shuttle bus.

Can you be specific on actual flight numbers/dates?

Thanks Gardyloo,

This is a frequent flyer ticket booked thru American Airlines and it was where they routed me for free. Flt numbers Are AA 36 to Mad, then ab 8081 and Ab 6201 to MUC . I can't find any mention of Iberia, and I believe it is one ticket. I have seen other postings on MAD that you have made, and you are obviously very experienced with this. I appreciate your help.

Thanks Gardyloo,

This is a frequent flyer ticket booked thru American Airlines and it was where they routed me for free. Flt numbers Are AA 36 to Mad, then ab 8081 and Ab 6201 to MUC . I can't find any mention of Iberia, and I believe it is one ticket. I have seen other postings on MAD that you have made, and you are obviously very experienced with this. I appreciate your help.

Flight AB 8081 is to Berlin, departing from Terminal 4 at Barajas.

I'm guessing you booked this ticket online using AA's web booking system. Unfortunately, AA has not added the ability to book itineraries using Iberia online; however this can be done easily on the phone.

You may have to pay a phone booking fee if you make the change, but I'd phone AA to see if they could switch you to a nonstop flight on Iberia from Madrid to Munich, avoiding the plane change at Berlin. It would save time and hassle; you're traveling long enough as it is.

However, if you decide to keep your present arrangements, you'll be leaving from T4 at Madrid, not T2, so your time is more than ample.

Thanks so much. I was just going on the MAD website, which said airberlin was out of T2. Yes, it is a hassle. I will check and see if I can change, but doubt anything can be done without a fee, these tix were booked a long time ago.

Gardyloo,

Where did you get the gate info? I will check again when the time gets closer to be sure.

You won't get gate information until under an hour before the flight, displayed on the many reader boards.

T4 and T4S are used by Iberia and other Oneworld alliance airlines, as well as some longhaul partners. If you're nervous, check the Oneworld timetables which show airberlin flights operating from T4.