Dorky?

Half the people on the ship will be wearing some type of thing around their necks to hold their card. My whole family wears them, many swim trunks have no pockets, not to mention bikinis, and women don't want to carry a bag or purse everywhere on vacation, so around the neck in a waterproof sleeve is the way to go. I keep my card, some money, and anything else I need in there.

I use a Jack Skellington one from DL.

Yes, they will punch the cards for you. My 17 year old has his keys on a lanyard he keeps in his pocket at school every day. Maybe if they will think a cruise lanyard is too Dorky then get them one from their favorite store or sports team before you go and give it to them when you check in.

If a teenager wants to keep the card safe and not be dorky, then why not tie the same lanyard to the belt loop? First, attach the card to the lanyard. Then you run the lanyard through the belt loop, thread the card through the lanyard, and tighten. There! Now you have the card securely with you at all times, and you can discreetly hide it in your pocket. If you can get a lanyard with a detachable end (like for a USB flash drive), even easier.

This is a breeze for guys, whose shorts and pants have belt loops. It's probably not as easy for girls (I know very little about women's clothes), but you can improvise.