First Cruise < 2 Weeks Away!

So my wife and I (along with another couple) will be boarding our first cruise 3/28 (GotS to Florida/Bahamas). I'm starting to freak out about and was hoping some of the pros could help me out by answering a few questions for me.

- I had been unsure about dress for the MDR vs other places to eat, but many of the posts I've read basically come down to "it's you're vacation, wear what you want where you want". From what I've gathered though, on formal nights in MDR suits/tux & cocktail dresses are "suggested" and other nights simply slacks and a nice shirt/polo are fine; am I understanding that right? I've also had a difficult time figuring out exactly WHICH restaurants are an extra cost; is it just Chef's Table, Giovanni's Table, Chops, and Izumi, or are there others that require an additional fee as well?

-We live fairly close to the Port, so we'd like to get there as early as possible so that we can board and familiarize ourselves with the ship. The check in range on my SetSail pass says 1030-3; does that mean to arrive and board as early as possible we should get there before 1030 so we can be "checked in" and be able to board then, or to show up at 1030 because that's when they'll start the process? Along those lines, is there anywhere you suggest that we find/check out right away, or is just a walk around the ship the best way to check it out?

-I remember reading somewhere it's a good idea to bring some sort of power strip along because there are few outlets in the rooms. Is that accurate, or is there ample space for charging phones, camera, laptop, etc?

I'm sure I'll have more questions, I just can't think of they right now. Thanks in advance for any help you can provide!!!!

It sounds like you're doing the 3 day weekend cruise?

I wouldn't fret too much about the dress code. Wear what you would for a nice night out. If you don't want to think about it too much, you can just follow the guidelines on the cruise line's web site, but no one will even notice if you are a little under dressed.

The additional charge restaurants for your sailing are available on the web site. I would make reservations now if you do plan to go to one of the other venues. You can usually save money by booking a package in advance.

I would plan to arrive between 10 and 10:30. Actual boarding time can vary, and this should minimize any wait at the terminal, yet get you aboard early to start enjoying the ship.

Power strips are a good idea.

Enjoy your cruise!

So my wife and I (along with another couple) will be boarding our first cruise 3/28 (GotS to Florida/Bahamas). I'm starting to freak out about and was hoping some of the pros could help me out by answering a few questions for me.

- I had been unsure about dress for the MDR vs other places to eat, but many of the posts I've read basically come down to "it's you're vacation, wear what you want where you want". From what I've gathered though, on formal nights in MDR suits/tux & cocktail dresses are "suggested" and other nights simply slacks and a nice shirt/polo are fine; am I understanding that right? I've also had a difficult time figuring out exactly WHICH restaurants are an extra cost; is it just Chef's Table, Giovanni's Table, Chops, and Izumi, or are there others that require an additional fee as well?

-We live fairly close to the Port, so we'd like to get there as early as possible so that we can board and familiarize ourselves with the ship. The check in range on my SetSail pass says 1030-3; does that mean to arrive and board as early as possible we should get there before 1030 so we can be "checked in" and be able to board then, or to show up at 1030 because that's when they'll start the process? Along those lines, is there anywhere you suggest that we find/check out right away, or is just a walk around the ship the best way to check it out?

-I remember reading somewhere it's a good idea to bring some sort of power strip along because there are few outlets in the rooms. Is that accurate, or is there ample space for charging phones, camera, laptop, etc?

I'm sure I'll have more questions, I just can't think of they right now. Thanks in advance for any help you can provide!!!!

I would not show up before 10:30am. You will likely be encountering many guests from the previous cruise. They usually start boarding between 11am and 11:30am.

HI, You will al have so much fun! MDR dress.. Ok my husband forgot his dress slacks thus went to the MDR on formal night with jeans , a white shirt and tie, and he got in no questions asked. Slacks are fine, with a polo shirt. Not sure if Gots has a Ritas cantina , but if so, it has a charge. There is a charge for the seattle's best coffee, at the coffee shop, but the cookies and pastries are free. Powerstrips are not normally allowed, they will send your luggage to the naughty room. Normally, don't get to port before 10:30 AM, boarding will be very fast at that time and you will be on by about 11AM.

Happy Cruising!

Have fun! No freaking out! ;) :p No matter what anyone on CC says, no one says anything about dress on board. What you described, slacks and polo will work for wherever you dine, but if you like to dress up, that's lovely too. Honestly, it will be a non issue once on board!

The only "freebies" for food (I think you said Granduer?) are the main dining room, room service during "normal hours (late night there is a service charge), the Windjammer buffet, any Park or Promenade Cafe is free as is the Pizza parlor if there is one on board. All the other restaurants are an up charge, but you will find plenty to eat if you don't choose to do specialty dining (we rarely do and enjoy our cruises!) Some other places that might "up charge" premium ice cream (but not the soft serve at the pool or on the buffet) and the specialty coffee bar onboard. That bar (often called Cafe Latte tudes ) charges for coffee, but the pastries are FREE!

As far as the power strip, honestly, if you do some charging at night, you can probably work it out that there are enough plugs for your gadgets, we bring tons of gadgets and never have a problem without the power strip. (2-3 camera chargers, 2-3 iPads, 2-3 iPhones for 2-3 people in each room) Sometimes the power strip just gets confiscated upon boarding (you get it back after the cruise) and sometimes not, but honestly, you probably won't need it if you charge your camera batteries at night and phones while you are in the cabin. We've never brought one and we have a ridiculous amount of gadgets!

You can show up anytime after 10:30 or 11 to check in. Once the ship is "cleared" for embarkation, usually around 11 ish, they will start boarding, usually with the repeat guests and suite guests first, so you may have a few minutes wait. But plan to get their before 12 noon to enjoy your full first "day"!

And there's no freaking out in cruising! :eek: Have fun!

Edited by Familygoboston

Thanks for the quick responses! I thought of something else now. My brother makes homemade wine, will they allow this to be brought onboard as our 2 per cabin? It would be in a regular green wine bottle, but would not have a label. It would be fully corked, but not have any kind of cellophane or foil wrapper on it. Has anyone had experience with this in the past?

Thanks for the quick responses! I thought of something else now. My brother makes homemade wine, will they allow this to be brought onboard as our 2 per cabin? It would be in a regular green wine bottle, but would not have a label. It would be fully corked, but not have any kind of cellophane or foil wrapper on it. Has anyone had experience with this in the past?

No direct experience, but if they choose to inspect it, then I'd expect it to be refused.