Constellation Vs Galaxy - Caribbean

High C's

Hello all! I am new to Celebrity, so I apologize in advance if these questions are "old hat" to most of you!

Our experience has been mostly Princess (with one sailing last summer on RCCL Brilliance), and now we would like to try Celebrity.

Looking to book Caribbean in March 2007. Our choices are the Galaxy or the Constellation. From reading posts here, there are definitely mixed reviews for the Galaxy, whereas I read only positive comments on the "Connie".

Both itineraries are fine with us, so that does not enter into it. But from experience, given the two choices, may I ask for some input on what you would recommend? My DH feels that when we try another line for the first time, lets try their "top of the line" ship, because that is what we will be comparing it to from the other lines we have tried.

Thoughts? Thanks very much in advance:)

Your cruise history shows that you sail the larger and newer ships. Based on that I would recommend that you sail the Constellation rather than the Galaxy.

Looking to book Caribbean in March 2007. Our choices are the Galaxy or the Constellation. From reading posts here' date=' there are definitely mixed reviews for the Galaxy, whereas I read only positive comments on the "Connie".

[/quote']By coincidence, note the "last / next" in the signature line below. We've sailed on both ships, most recently on the Constellation, and next our 3rd trip on Galaxy.

I think one of the things you may need to consider on longer itineraries (> 7 nights) is the cabin size and type to which you are accustomed. I put together a matrix here a while back showing the differences in the various cabins offered on each class of ship. We have a preference on both ships, but cannot duplicate our preferences on either.

What kind of cabin have you liked on your previous cruises? How large a cabin? With / without veranda? How much veranda?

I ask this because of the following sorts of differences.

Sky Suite on Galaxy on Sky Deck = 246sq ft cabin and 179sq ft veranda

Sky Suite on Constellation = 251sq ft cabin and 57sq ft veranda

Concierge Class on Galaxy = 172sq ft with 42sq ft veranda

Concierge Class on Constellation = 191sq ft with 41sq ft or huge 200sq ft veranda, depending on whether you can book an aft cabin

Family Ocean View on Galaxy = 210sq ft cabin, no veranda

Family View on Constellation = 271sq ft cabin, 200~241sq ft veranda

It's all over the map, and availability of the "preferred" cabins on either ship is by no means guaranteed.

Other Inside and Outside cabins are of comparable size on both ships... with a few anomolies, of course.

Let us know what you like, and that might give us a starting point.

There are other differences between the ships -- next post.

The Constellation and Galaxy aren't much different in terms of overall size and passenger count. Both have a spacious feel, and you can "escape" to a bit of public space by yourself pretty easily, even on at-sea days.

If you're interested in their spa pools, the Constellation is free for all guests, but on the Galaxy, there's an extra charge for that service unless you're in a suite.

The decor of the Constellation is, for a lack of a better word, more "modern".

Our experience with service and food is a toss-up. Both are good.

Some prefer the layout of the Galaxy to the Constellation and it's somewhat more "homey" atmosphere in its public venues.

We like them both.

Thanks for your input!

Yes, we have sailed the bigger ships. The reason is we like the choices when it comes to nightlife/activities. Larger ships have more than one venue, so the choices are greater.

Regarding our cabin choices, we have always had an outside cabin with balcony. I think a "sky suite" is a bit beyond our budget at the moment. Don't know anything about Concierge class - is it worth it? Are those cabins bigger (on Constellation)?

One thing we LOVE about the larger Princess ships is the number of pools. When we were on the Brilliance, there is only one outside pool. It was a big crowded to say the least!

At the end of the day, I can't imagine any choice we make being the wrong one. Any day on a cruise ship is terrific in my book!

Thanks for your input!

Yes' date=' we have sailed the bigger ships. The reason is we like the choices when it comes to nightlife/activities. Larger ships have more than one venue, so the choices are greater.

[/quote']

Here's the curveball. The Galaxy is the ship with more venues and nightlife/activities over the Constellation. The Galaxy has 3 venues where one can dance and enjoy different types of music and activities vs. 2 for the Constellation. I found much more to do on the Galaxy than the Constellation, and it's no contest IMO which of these 2 ships is the more desirable. The Galaxy by a landslide. Make no mistake about it, for the size of the Millennium ships (Connie is the 4th in the series) they have a surprisingly limited amount of public activity areas, and have very large lounges rather than many medium sized ones.

I also disagree somewhat with canderson. I don't find the Constellation to have more modern decor. It's more luxurious and fancy, but not necessarily more modern. The Galaxy has the more modern dining room and some of the other public spaces are more modern (like the Cova and MIchael's Club). The Connie offers excellent spa food.

What the Connie has is higher space ratio, excellent specialty dining room, stateroom choices, balcony choices. The Galaxy has a unique interior, more cozy areas, a stronger thellasotherapy pool in a private setting, more variety from area to area.

Sail both, because they are quite different. But don't dismiss the magnificent Galaxy because she isn't as new or shiny as the others. The Connie, before you know it, will also be not the newest and shiniest either.

Thank you, benjamins. You make a very good point. No ship will be new after a few years, but that doesn't diminish their value in terms of a great cruise. I'm afraid we have allowed ourselves to get caught up in the opinion "the bigger the better", and now we're hesitant to jump off of that thought!

But like I said in my first post, the reviews of the Galaxy have been mixed at best. From what I understand (and really, what do I know considering I've never been on any of them!), of all the "C" class ships, the Century is the belle of the ball. Opinions?

If I do select Constellation (which I must admit I am leaning towards), is it worth the extra $$$ to go Concierge class? If so, why?

Our last cruise was on Mercury (similar to but not identical to Galaxy, which we've also cruised on), before that the Constellation (coincidentally same week as benjamins - hi benjamins!) Our next is back on the Constellation, just because it's sailing out of the port we want, the week we want.

Both are wonderful ships.

I missed most on Mercury the Spa Cafe breakfasts and lunches in the larger indoor pool area on the Constellation.

I'll miss most this next time the more vigorous and private t-pool on Galaxy. (If you don't have a suite, you can buy a pass for the entire cruise for the t-pool)

Both have nice gyms, Constellation's is quite a bit bigger. Both have movie theaters separate from the main showroom.

We've tried the 191 sq ft cabins over the 172 sq ft and for us it was quite a bit nicer. If you think about it, the average 172 sq ft balcony cabin is the exact same cabin as your 172 sq ft inside or ocean view cabin, so a big increase in price seems a bit odd... unless there are hardly any balconies (like on Galaxy) The mega-balconies on the Sky Suites on Galaxy and aft on Constellation are tricky to book unless you plan far in advance. The concierge cabin concept started back with the dilemma of many shunning the balcony cabins under the pool deck on the M-class ships. With so many balcony cabins, people can get pretty dang fussy about things like shading and deck noise! You know the old saying, if you can't fix it, feature it. The concierge concept has been quite successful (especially since Captain's Club members get double cruise credits for booking one) and has been instituted over on the C-class ships and for the larger balcony cabins on the lower decks of the M-class ships.

HTH

sacway

You asked whether it was worth it to book a Concierge Class cabin. It depends.

We were just on Summit in a CC cabin. When we booked it, it was just a plain old 1B so we got a "bonus". Would I book it again having to pay more because it was CC? Maybe.

This was an aft cabin - that's why we wanted it and I LOVED the huge balcony. I would definately book another aft cabin and pay the CC premium. But I wouldn't book a non-aft CC room.

Although the CC touches were nice - better towels and bed linens, flowers in the room, fresh fruit in the room, better bathrobe . . . I don't think they would be worth the extra expense. Now that all the category 1s are CC, if the 20 sq feet are important to you (honestly, I didn't feel the difference from the 2B we had on Constellation) then the expense would be worth it.

It's really up to you and what you like.

Happy sailing.

Joanie

That helps, Joanie, thanks. Unfortunately (for me) an aft cabin is not an option for two reasons: DH does not like the noise and vibration at the rear of a ship, and we do try to get as close to mid ships as possible to cut down on the walking (I have had two knee replacements, and at the end of a long excursion day I've just about had it!).

I really couldn't care about the flowers and fruit. I understand that the pillow selection is there for everyone, you need only ask. Not sure what the upgrade in linen would be, so what I don't know about I would not miss! But I would be interested in the larger room (if significant) and the priority disembarkation (if significant).

That all being said, is there any special cabin midships that is worth asking for (in either CC or regular balcony categories)?????

We have sailed on both ships and love them both. If I was to pick and there was no difference in ports,ect I would pick the Constellation. I loved the ship and she is my favorite that I have been on. I have a favor to ask you-Did you prefer Princess or RCI? We are looking at both cruise lines and like you would love to hear from someone who has done both lines.

But like I said in my first post' date=' the reviews of the Galaxy have been mixed at best. From what I understand (and really, what do I know considering I've never been on any of them!), of all the "C" class ships, the Century is the belle of the ball. Opinions?

[/quote']

You'll find some pretty rough reviews of the Millennium and Infinity, people saying that they aren't in the best shape and that the Infinity smells strange. The longer the ship is around, the more mixed reviews it may get.

The Century is special, she was such a leap from the Zenith. She was meant to be special, a daring, forward-looking ship. She's the most luxurious, still has the most magnificent dining room of the fleet, has a deep richness to her. She has a nostalgic ocean-liner like feel yet is contemporary at the same time. She's cozy. There actually are quite a few design oddities in the Century that Galaxy/Mercury fixed, but that doesn't take away the charm of the Century. I like all 3 C ships, but Galaxy is my personal favorite because she uses lighter colors and feels airy, and has very vibrant and fun elements, yet rich period elements, like her Savoy Nightclub. Century is the most charming and endearing. Mercury is somewhat quirky, quite bold and modern/retro-modern. They are all different, that's what is so great about them. While most ships follow the peas-of-a-pod sister ship approach, varying only colors and patterns but sharing the same decor and feel in most public areas, these 3 having major differences in furnishings and feel and were even designed by different designers in many major public areas including foyers, dining rooms, most major lounges, theaters. There are some similarities with Century's aft nightclub and Galaxy's, and the stairwells and elevator landings in Mercury and Galaxy, but there's a ton of difference between not only the decor of the ships, but the personality that the decor produces. Unfortunately, aside from the specialty restaurants, this wasn't continued in the Millennium ships. Every ship after the Millie feels like a knock-off, IMO. You can prefer one of the other for colors and patterns and perhaps art--but that's it. That's why I'm not so big on the Connie. I don't think she's as nice as the Millie, Millie's furnishings are richer, and Connie doesn't really stand out to me in any way. Nice ship, don't get me wrong--but characterless. She lacks that personality that oozes out of the Century ships.

I also disagree somewhat with canderson. I don't find the Constellation to have more modern decor. It's more luxurious and fancy, but not necessarily more modern.

I was thinking of the artwork more than anything else, and it wasn't necessarily a compliment for the Constellation!

Thanks for your input!

Yes' date=' we have sailed the bigger ships. The reason is we like the choices when it comes to nightlife/activities. Larger ships have more than one venue, so the choices are greater.

Regarding our cabin choices, we have always had an outside cabin with balcony. I think a "sky suite" is a bit beyond our budget at the moment. Don't know anything about Concierge class - is it worth it? Are those cabins bigger (on Constellation)?

One thing we LOVE about the larger Princess ships is the number of pools. When we were on the Brilliance, there is only one outside pool. It was a big crowded to say the least!

At the end of the day, I can't imagine any choice we make being the wrong one. Any day on a cruise ship is terrific in my book![/quote']First, be aware that you needn't concern yourselves over vibration aft. The only time we've ever noticed it is arriving and departing from port. The level of vibration on the Galaxy was notably greater, but occurred only under those same circumstances. Motion was not an issue on either during our cruises.

The CC cabins are indeed larger on the Constellation (191 sq ft) as compared to the CC cabins on Galaxy (172 sq ft). In fact, there's no difference in cabin or veranda size between the CC and non-CC veranda cabins on Galaxy. If you choose the Constellation, don't let any preconceived ideas about aft cabins dissuade you from considering one of the "aft CC" cabins. As to whether the rest of the perks are of interest to you, do understand that on Constellation, it is a bigger cabin for the additional $.

As to the aft location and additional walking. Oddly enough, it doesn't often work out much differently in total distance if you're aft or midships. I would think that being far forward might be an issue, though. If you're aft, nearly all of the food consumption you're going to be doing is a short elevator ride away! The theater is full forward. If you're midships, it's half the boat's walk to get to either one. Just something to think about.

Both Galaxy and Constellation have multiple evening entertainment and "partying" venues.

Very interesting thread. After cruising on 3 C class and 3 M class ships(just off the Millie-Europe in June) my 2cents worth: The aqua-spa cafe and Olympic dining were outstanding! However, I liked everything else on the C class ships. You can feel the higher quality of the C class ships everywhere. The fixtures,carpets and furnishings all seem more expensive. Perhaps because these ships were built by Meyer-Werft (spelling?) they were higher quality.

Very interesting thread. After cruising on 3 C class and 3 M class ships(just off the Millie-Europe in June) my 2cents worth: The aqua-spa cafe and Olympic dining were outstanding! However, I liked everything else on the C class ships. You can feel the higher quality of the C class ships everywhere. The fixtures,carpets and furnishings all seem more expensive. Perhaps because these ships were built by Meyer-Werft (spelling?) they were higher quality.

The fit and finish is Meyer Werft, but the quality of materials has to do with the designers and budget. I think Celebrity spent, inflation adjusted, just more time and money on the C class. The M class were produced quicker, and are rush jobs, IMO. The M class are not impressive ships, IMO--they are luxurious and pretty and not crowded, but that's not enough for me.

It's just the newer and fancier thing I think people are going for, and maybe more features and cabin comfort. I have a 15-year old Volvo and compared to the newer Volvos, I think there are many things that are better about my car. Much better visibility, better and stronger bumpers, less blind spots, a much tighter turning radius, a bigger trunk opening, and some materials are nicer. Yes the newer ones have curvy/chiseled styling and are quieter and ride better. However, not everything about them is better. And I feel that about any product, sometimes products of a certain era show more vibrancy and creativity and have certain aspects that outshine the newer products. And I think this is especially true of Celebrity's Century ships vs. their newer ships. And there's much about other new ships I don't care for vs. ships of previous eras, and some things I prefer about the newer ones. But newer is not necessarily more desirable or even better in some important ways, depending on varying personal preferences and priorities.

This is too funny - all of your responses have left me more confused than ever!!! Please - I appreciate and value all of your opinions, but you all make such great points for both classes, that I obviously have to do both now to make up my mind.

bremmerh: regarding RCCL vs Princess, IMHO we preferred Princess. I will say first, however, that Brilliance is a beautiful ship. Any opinions I have are just preferences - no complaints! But we prefer Princess for the following reasons:

- number of pools on Princess (4 vs 1 outside on Brilliance)

- deck chairs MUCH more comfortable on Princess (they are all those "strappy" chairs on RCCL except at their indoor pool area)

- fresh water vs salt water pools

- bar stewards - we found they were virtually invisible on Brilliance - always had to go for our own drinks around the pool and at shows at night

But I did prefer the following on RCCL that is not available on Princess:

- in room access to your shipboard account

- prepay shore excursions before you board (that is a BIG bill on your account when you board Princess if you book a lot of excursions through the line)

- balcony cabins on RCCL slightly larger than Princess

We have been blessed with every cruise we have been on. The reason we want to try Celebrity now is because we hear so many good things about it, we don't want to continue on the lines we have been on just out of habit. We'll "step outside the box" as they say and try something different to see what we've been missing. Maybe we'll be true blue Celebrity after that!!!

If you have any more ??? re difference of Princess and RCCL, don't hesitate to ask!

Archived