Disembark help Oasis of the Seas

DavidsNana

Hope someone can help who has been on either the Oasis or Allure of the Seas out of Ft. Lauderdale. My husband has had 7 back surgeries, can walk just fine with a cane but can not stand for long periods of time. The Rccl website says that the wheelchair disembarkation assistance is from the ship to the luggage area. Is this a misprint? When we sail with Princess, they take him off the ship and through the luggage area for me to collect luggage and then through customs and out to the ground transportation area. Does RCCL not do this?

I am concerned as I have been reading that sometimes the wait to clear through customs/passport control after getting off these ships is 1 - 1 1/2 hours waiting in line.

Thank you for any 1st hand information you can give me. I have emailed their Special Needs Dept and am awaiting their reply but read that they do not always respond. Barbara

We disembarked the Allure last November. I reported to the place for wheelchair disembarkation earlier than what was indicated for my group. Glad I did because their was quite a wait for a pusher, but I was seated comfortably in the chair while waiting. When someone came to push me, my husband put our carry on luggage on top of the rollator and walked next to the chair with us. We did not wIt on line for customs or immigration. They had a special line for wheelchair people. The pusher got a red cap for us and waited while he collected our luggage, walked us through customs, then I continued in the wheelchair all the way to the curb site waiting are? The pusher refused a tip.

Thank you so very much. This was exactly the 1st hand information I was looking for. That will work out very well for us. I am amazed that the pusher refused a tip. We have always tipped the pushers when on Princess and it has always been accepted with a very nice thanks. Thanks again. Barbara

• 2 weeks later...

On our December Allure cruise we had a little wait for mom's 'pusher'... but they took us down...and past the line. That gentleman handed her off to another... and we did have to wait in a little line of chairs... but I got a baggage handler to get our luggage and he waited for the new pusher to take us through customs and took us out to where we meet the shuttle. He waited for the shuttle to arrive... (about 2 minutes) and made sure she was on board the shuttle.

There were many people on board waiting... although we had an assigned time to be there, some showed up without reservations. One couple was obnoxious and pushed their way to the head of the line saying they could not wait. I felt so bad for the staff organizing the process. I ended up tipping the man with the clipboard... I wouldn't have his job for all the tips in the world! LOL... I also tipped the pusher who took her off the ship to the waiting area inside the terminal. I tipped the bag handler. I tipped the second man who pushed mom to the shuttle. He was a pier agent... not a normal wheelchair pusher... who was just trying to get most people out! He didn't want the tip.. but I told him it was for a cold beer after work!! He smiled!! So did I... they do a great job under some trying circumstances. We were in no hurry (driving home)... If you are in a hurry make your time reservations early in the cruise at Guest Services. And arrive at the holding area on the ship a little early.

Enjoy your cruise!

Thanks LindaO, Nice to know the different ways these things are handled. We will be in no hurry as I reserved a hotel room in Ft. Lauderdale for the night and we will be flying home to California the next day. So planning to sign up for the latest disembarkation time available. Maybe it won't be to crowded by that time. Will also have plenty of tip money in my pockets. I too am very grateful for all these people who provide us asistance. Without them and their help, we would not be able to travel as easily as we do.

We are normally Princess Cruisers but are really looking forward to seeing and being on this mega ship and experiencing something new.

Thanks again, Barbara