Best Crab Meal in Alaska

mpduquaine

If you want to try something other than King Crab at Tracy's, there might be an alternative to Tracy's for King Crab. It has been a few years since I have been in there, but there is a little deli counter area in Taku Smokeries (the opposite end of the parking lot from the tram). They used to sell king crab legs in there. Obviously you won't get the drawn butter with it, but if you wanted to try a leg or two, you might be able to pick some up there. When I was there a few years ago, I think they wanted $40/pound. The only downfall to this is my guess is they are frozen solid. You'd have to ask on that one.

Just a quick comment -- to put this price in perspective, in Fairbanks I have been paying between $13.99 and $15.99 per pound for King crab at our local Fred Meyer stores. And I don't find any difference in taste between that crab and the crab served by Tracy's.

Just a quick comment -- to put this price in perspective, in Fairbanks I have been paying between $13.99 and $15.99 per pound for King crab at our local Fred Meyer stores. And I don't find any difference in taste between that crab and the crab served by Tracy's.

I don't find any difference either. I think it has more to do with the preparation. There's a good chance most of the king crab found in the summer is shipped up to Alaska from Seattle.