Book Through Carnival or Agent?

ldarcy

I'm ready to put a deposit down on my next cruise but I'm not sure whether to book through Carnival or an online agent. We've used this agent before so we know it credible... but the agent has a $50 cancellation fee if we decide to cancel, whereas Carnival doesn't. Conversely, the agent is offering a $100 refund after the cruise.

So... if we cancel we're out $100 if we go with the agent. If we don't cancel we're out $100 if we book with Carnival. We probably won't cancel but one never knows!

Can anyone tell me if there's a benefit to booking directly with Carnival?? It's usually my first choice but I couldn't tell you why!

I'd appreciate any opinions / experiences!

Thanks!

I too have done both and as the previous poster, will stick with Carnival unless I can get a really good deal with a TA. I like the ability to call Carnival with any questions and get them answered which I wouldn't be able to do with a booking through a TA. So, there are trade-offs. You need to determine which will give you the overall better deal.

Steve

I booked through Carnival and it was quick and easy. I remember them calling me and saying it's free upgrade week and that's when I jumped. I also have a coworker that booked through a travel agent and she had a free tote bag waiting in her room.

I booked with an agent.. Next time, we will book directly through our PVP..

Personally, I hate the middle-man stuff. Plus, my TA turned my booking straight over to Carnival and they have been in contact with me about the booking..

First and last time I ever use a TA...

So if I book with an agent I lose the ability to call Carnival directly with issues?

I had that happen with an all-inclusive last year and was totally frustrated when the provider wouldn't speak to me and the TA had gone home for the day... very frustrating!

That gives the decision to book directly with Carnival a little more weight!

I have done it both ways. The last time with a TA (of which is a sponsor here on CC), I noticed a price drop and the agency was closed. It was the night before final payment was due, and I didn't book ES because it wasn't available at that time. I almost lost out on a few hundred dollars because the TA was closed. They (TA) were pretty rude on the phone the next day telling me that I should have known that was a possibility and they don't have anyone on call at night or on weekends. Too bad, so sad. I went round and round with them finally having to write to the Customer Service Manager. They finally agreed to contact Carnival again. At this point I was aggravated beyond belief. They didn't want to make it right on their end, still fully blaming Carnival for not giving me the price drop. BS - it was the TA's fault for being closed, not Carnival's! Totally not worth the measly $25 check (they said they couldn't gift it to me as OBC because evil Carnival wouldn't let them) the TA gave me for booking with them.

Carnival didn't have to, but they honored the reduction in the form of OBC which is really what I wanted anyway. I think it's because I called them the night of the drop in a panic. The lady was so nice and she even tried calling the TA to see if there was any way she could get in touch with them. Of course, she couldn't make the change to my reservation, but she did put a note in.

Long story short, if you're going with a TA, make sure you are able to reach them at ALL hours 7 days a week. You never know when prices will go down.

I am pretty knowledgeable in what I'm doing. I always know which ship, ports, cabins, etc I want so I don't need any advice. I like getting things done now and want to make sure they are done right. So for me, I book direct.

So if I book with an agent I lose the ability to call Carnival directly with issues?

I had that happen with an all-inclusive last year and was totally frustrated when the provider wouldn't speak to me and the TA had gone home for the day... very frustrating!

That gives the decision to book directly with Carnival a little more weight!

Yes, Carnival will not discuss your issues or give you price drops. They can't because your booking belongs to the TA. See my previous post. It IS frustrating. And when I'm planning for vacation, I don't need any other nonsense! :cool:

If you book with Carnival directly you just have to ask about the terms. On the last cruise I booked you would lose $50 per person if you cancel and $200 of the down payment would be applied to any other cruise you book in the future. I think if you take the insurance and have to cancel for certain reasons you can get all your money back.

You've made some great points, firemanbobswife - thanks!

I ran into the same sort of problems with the all-inclusive last year and spent hours on the phone trying to sort out issues because the TA wasn't available and then wasn't willing to go to bat for me - too long a story to type but the short version ends in my swearing to never use an agent again... thanks for the reminder!

I realize that sometimes TA's can give you better deals but I've decided it's not worth it in the long run if it causes me a bunch of frustration!

Also... klaner64 - I did check the terms and that applies to supersaver rates - that's why I'm paying a bit more and getting a refundable deposit!

I appreciate everyone's opinions and advice - I love how cruisers are always available to help!

My first cruise (not with Carnival) I handled everything myself. For my upcoming cruise, there will be 5 of us so I figured it would be easier and slightly cheaper to go through a travel agent. I have to say - I won't be doing this again. At least not through the agency I am using! It seems to have been nothing but a hassle, and I do not see where we have saved any money or received any benefits at all. I'm sure there are some great agencies out there and I am just having a bad experience with this one, but in the future I think I will just handle everything myself. I get stressed out when I can't be in the "drivers seat" and have to rely on others to get the answers/results that I need. Guess that's the control freak in me. :rolleyes:

I'm ready to put a deposit down on my next cruise but I'm not sure whether to book through Carnival or an online agent. We've used this agent before so we know it credible... but the agent has a $50 cancellation fee if we decide to cancel, whereas Carnival doesn't. Conversely, the agent is offering a $100 refund after the cruise.

So... if we cancel we're out $100 if we go with the agent. If we don't cancel we're out $100 if we book with Carnival. We probably won't cancel but one never knows!

Can anyone tell me if there's a benefit to booking directly with Carnival?? It's usually my first choice but I couldn't tell you why!

I'd appreciate any opinions / experiences!

Thanks!

Book directly with Carnival. Doing so makes it easier to get price drops when you see them. Travel agents don't like to fool with price drops because it is extra work for them and it reduces their commission. You also assume extra risk booking with a TA because if they fail to forward your payment to Carnival, you are likely out that money. You never know when a TA might be struggling financially and many do because of the economy reducing bookings and airlines cutting commissions.

Cruise is now booked through Carnival - I feel better knowing that I can deal directly with them if I have any issues and not deal with a third party.

Now, how do I make the next 11 months fly by?!?!

Funny, I'm never as happy as when I have a vacation to plan for!!

Glad you are booked! You will be glad you did it direct. Much easier IMHO.

If I had a time machine I sure would use it. May 11 can't come fast enough for me! Then I would slow it down to make the cruise last forever!

I, too, get sad when I don't have anything to look forward to. Cruising is my addiction :D

Edited by firemanbobswife

Other than the $100 refund I lost from the TA, I can't see a downside to having control over my booking!

Thanks again for your advice - it was exactly what I needed!

Now to start researching excursions... woohoo!

Cruising is the one area where I use a TA. The trick is that you need to find a really good, dedicated one. The one I use does not have a bunch of hidden fees and really takes care of me. She even randomly checks fares and will save me money.

On top of that, she always has some nice little gift waiting in the cabin, be it soda cards for the kids or a bottle of wine. Also, pretty nice with OBC's.

I can email her a concern and she will contact somebody she knows at Carnival to get it resolved.

No question, I will always use her. Sadly I can't list travel agents here.

EDIT: And to OP, I would seriously avoid agents that charge a fee like that. Find an agent with the highest designation from your chosen cruise line (Expert Plus for Royal, Commodore for Princess, etc.). I don't know what Carnival's top agents are called.

Edited by cdamion