Wind Surf Caribbean - Questions about dress, etc.

alw1977

Hi All -

We're looking to do a Caribbean itinerary in 2015, likely one on the Wind Surf if we choose this line. We're new to smaller ship cruising and are (like most who enter this market) comparing Star Clippers and Windstar. Of most concern to us:

(1) How casual is the typical passenger dress on Wind Surf when she sails the Caribbean? Truly, I hate the formal dress code thing on a Caribbean cruise. I know the website says "smart casual," "resort casual" or similar, but what do passengers actually wear on Caribbean itineraries on this line? We typically wear nice bathing suits and cover ups during the day, and sundress (for me) and nice chino shorts and a polo (for husband) at dinner when we travel and stay on islands.

(2) We are late 30s (38 and 39 by the time we would sail) - is the general range 40-50s or does it trend higher? It won't really color our decision but I like to know (the question about dress is more important to us).

Thanks!

It is NOT dressy, although I brought a couple of tops with some shine to them for when I felt like it. Polo shirts and slacks for guys in the evenings, sundresses or slacks with tops for women. Daytime, sundresses, shorts, over bathing suits, shorts and tees or polos for men. NO blue jeans or tee shirts in the restaurants in the evenings. We just took our 6th cruise with Windstar.....would NEVER cruise any other way.

Edited by toucan1737

I answered your question where you also posted it on Star Clippers site.

But to add to my answer: Windstar is the most upscale of the tall-ship cruise ships, but not formal. Resort Casual is how Windstar refers to it with men asked to wear long pants and collared shirts for dinners. Windstar ages seem to average in the mid-50s to mid-60s, but ages from 30s-70s on our sailings, maybe some in the early 80s. All hale and hearty. On decks, on shore, you certainly are fine with shorts, tops, drawstring pants......all those comfy things.

Thanks to both of you for your responses, and to you SailorJM for patiently responding on both.

Silly question (perhaps) - at what point do they open up the swim deck and bring out the water toys? Is it at every "beach oriented" stop?