SUN Aft-Mini + Inside or Owner's Suite?

grobma

We are booked on a cruisetour on the Sun to Alaska in August, in an aft-mini and an inside directly across (2 adults, 2 teenagers - guess who will be where).

I noticed that the Owner's Suite is still open and, if we were to take it, the total cost would not be that much more as we would be 4 in one cabin instead of two.

It looks from the floor plan like each teenager could have their own couch for sleeping. I've listed the pros and cons that I can think of regarding making the switch, but welcome your expert opinions/lessons learned.

PROS

* Suite life and all that goes with it

* Huge balcony with hot tub

CONS

* On the cruisetour, we would then all be in one room instead of two

* Love the aft, but have never been in a forward-facing cabin, so don't know the pros and cons of that (aware of the light restrictions at night). I expect that it is windy.

Thanks in advance.

We are booked on a cruisetour on the Sun to Alaska in August, in an aft-mini and an inside directly across (2 adults, 2 teenagers - guess who will be where).

I noticed that the Owner's Suite is still open and, if we were to take it, the total cost would not be that much more as we would be 4 in one cabin instead of two.

It looks from the floor plan like each teenager could have their own couch for sleeping. I've listed the pros and cons that I can think of regarding making the switch, but welcome your expert opinions/lessons learned.

PROS

* Suite life and all that goes with it

* Huge balcony with hot tub

CONS

* On the cruisetour, we would then all be in one room instead of two

* Love the aft, but have never been in a forward-facing cabin, so don't know the pros and cons of that (aware of the light restrictions at night). I expect that it is windy.

Thanks in advance.

IMO this one is easy...................go for the suite life. But it's your choice:)

Suite. Absolutely. Where the Sun aft PH works best for us, the forward Owner's suite sounds perfect for you. I visited friends in that suite and it is very spacious. The master is set back and quiet. I remember a little side nook. I remember wondering if a rollaway would fit there. Great balcony.

Now, the best part. The suite life on the Sun is really special. With only 20 suites it is a nice small group. The breakfast and lunch is the wonderful Il Adagio. There is one concierge and 2 butlers for tge 20 suites.

We love the Sun. Will be back on in October for # 3.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Owners Suite! Love sailing forward...especially in Alaska! 🚢

Thanks to everyone for their feedback, though I am interested in specifically what you like about sailing forward NayRN (or anyone else).

Thanks to everyone for their feedback, though I am interested in specifically what you like about sailing forward NayRN (or anyone else).

Sailing the Inside Passage, Glacier Bay or Sawyer Glacier with an unobstructed view...and not fighting for a great spot near the rail to take pictures!

I sailed the first time in an inside cabin....and never got a really good picture...but boy did I get fabulous ones on my second cruise in the forward penthouse!

Plus it's just peaceful to just stand out there - especially in Skagway - and just soak in the beauty! We've never been ones to get back to the ship at the last minute so we always relax on the balcony before sail away.

One of these days I'm going to try an aft suite....but I just can't seem to stay away from the forward suites!

You won't be sorry...I promise!! ;)

Sailing the Inside Passage, Glacier Bay or Sawyer Glacier with an unobstructed view...and not fighting for a great spot near the rail to take pictures!

I sailed the first time in an inside cabin....and never got a really good picture...but boy did I get fabulous ones on my second cruise in the forward penthouse!

Plus it's just peaceful to just stand out there - especially in Skagway - and just soak in the beauty! We've never been ones to get back to the ship at the last minute so we always relax on the balcony before sail away.

One of these days I'm going to try an aft suite....but I just can't seem to stay away from the forward suites!

It sounds wonderful! Were you able to be on your balcony while the ship was actually moving?

Edited by JimAOk1945

We're in a forward Penthouse on the Sun in just 2 months! All that sounds wonderful!!! But I am a bit concerned about all the wind that we might get from being forward. Is that a problem?

Forward is wonderful for approaches into port, (Malta, anyone?) and for viewing, such as in Alaska and the Chilean fjords, and who wouldn't love to be "front and center" going through the Panama Canal?. But the caveat is wind. While at sea there is wind to contend with. But... The scene from Titanic comes to mind. The exhilaration. The pulse of the ship meeting the sea is something magical.

While aft sees whatever forward does it is sort of like seeing it in the rear view window, or after the fact. If you don't want to wait for the delayed gratification maybe aft is not for you. But, for me, the absolute stillness of the aft is the payoff. Sitting outside dining is great, (is it a coincidence the "Great Outdoors" is aft.). And the views at night are simply hypnotic, peaceful and almost spiritual. You can sit in almost perfect darkness. No bridge lights to contend with.

I have cruised aft a few times and am booked again in the aft. I have not cruised forward yet. But I would if the suite configuration was one that worked for me. In fact, I hope to try it sometime. I have visited friends in forward suites. They liked it.

Which do you choose?

We were in the Sun's owner's suite this past October. I do not recall 2 couches being in the sitting area. But the couch that was there was a nice size couch, possibly a queen pull out?

I will tell you that the balcony was glorious. Our poor room steward would find us out there all the time when he was trying to do his work and must have thought we were the most boring people in the world as we sat out there for hours just watching the world go by. He finally just started doing what he needed to do and would stick his head out to say bye when he was done.

hi: we did the sun 10 day Caribbean last March and had the penthouse at the back of the ship.. love the double balcony with lots of room, and tons of storage.. there was 4 adults to this room and enough elbow room.. the couch folds out to be a bed for two.. I asked for a special honey cone duvet and this made the bed very comfortable.. Butler we didn't see too much but that was ok in our eyes.. the food on the sun was to die for.. would I do the sun again in a heart beat.. my only complete was there was not enough washrooms around the ship but you make do what she has to offer.. Trust me you won't regret doing the Sun.. :)

Forward is wonderful for approaches into port, (Malta, anyone?) and for viewing, such as in Alaska and the Chilean fjords, and who wouldn't love to be "front and center" going through the Panama Canal?. But the caveat is wind. While at sea there is wind to contend with. But... The scene from Titanic comes to mind. The exhilaration. The pulse of the ship meeting the sea is something magical.

While aft sees whatever forward does it is sort of like seeing it in the rear view window, or after the fact. If you don't want to wait for the delayed gratification maybe aft is not for you. But, for me, the absolute stillness of the aft is the payoff. Sitting outside dining is great, (is it a coincidence the "Great Outdoors" is aft.). And the views at night are simply hypnotic, peaceful and almost spiritual. You can sit in almost perfect darkness. No bridge lights to contend with.

Again, thanks for the feedback. DMH15's comments were perhaps the most persuasive for me. I do like being out on the balcony at all hours and from what I have read, when underway it can be pretty windy. Also, not only do I not mind the retrospective view, I also do some photography, and I think the view from the aft will be more expansive.

I also found an older thread in which several people mentioned that a) the hot tub took a while to fill (you have to fill for each use) and did not stay warm very long (especially a problem in Alaska), and b) there was some sound bleed from the club above in the evening.

If the aft penthouse was bigger, I would consider that for the 4 of us. For now, I think we'll keep our aft configuration. Thanks again for all the feedback.

We're in a forward Penthouse on the Sun in just 2 months! All that sounds wonderful!!! But I am a bit concerned about all the wind that we might get from being forward. Is that a problem?

There is not a lot of wind when sailing the Inside Passage. However, it can get quite windy when in the "open sea"!

I sailed forward from Vancouver, BC....and it's been a number of years so my memory may be lacking.....but I remember being out of the deck a lot. Some of the time we were sitting, having a cocktail and talking so we were blocked from the wind.

That was my first forward cruise, and I haven't stopped since....well, when we were in the Garden Villa on the Jewel we were technically midship....and that was a once in a lifetime suite! :o

There is not a lot of wind when sailing the Inside Passage. However, it can get quite windy when in the "open sea"!

I sailed forward from Vancouver, BC....and it's been a number of years so my memory may be lacking.....but I remember being out of the deck a lot. Some of the time we were sitting, having a cocktail and talking so we were blocked from the wind.

That was my first forward cruise, and I haven't stopped since....well, when we were in the Garden Villa on the Jewel we were technically midship....and that was a once in a lifetime suite! :o

Thanks for the info! I did pick one of the suites on the far side of forward as it appears the veranda is covered and shielded partially on the side. Hopefully that will help cut down on the wind.

I was really wanting aft but one wasn't available when I booked (14 months from sailing date). Then a couple months ago an aft penthouse opened up. Unfortunately, the price was about 50% higher than what we paid on the forward penthouse so we passed on changing.

Of course the suite is wonderful.

But is sharing with 4 people (2 adults, 2 teens) in one room worth it? I would really have some second thoughts about that myself.

One room. One schedule with lights, tv, etc.

Not sure, but is that one bathroom as well?

But is sharing with 4 people (2 adults, 2 teens) in one room worth it? I would really have some second thoughts about that myself.

Not true, the OS has basically two rooms (there may be a heavy curtain separating the bedroom from the living room, but its as good a barrier as the door in the two-bedroom suites (plus separate TVs, separate lighting systems, etc, really two separate very large rooms). There is only one main bathroom, but also a second half-bath, lightening the load...

Robin

Fishbait17 is correct about the OS, but garycarla - you're correct about the subsequent cruisetour. Typical hotel rooms with two queens or (gulp) doubles and one bathroom might very well put a damper on that part of the trip. That's what factored into my thinking as well . . .

Fishbait17 is correct about the OS, but garycarla - you're correct about the subsequent cruisetour. Typical hotel rooms with two queens or (gulp) doubles and one bathroom might very well put a damper on that part of the trip. That's what factored into my thinking as well . . .

Ah true, hadn't thought of that!

Robin

• 3 weeks later...
But, for me, the absolute stillness of the aft is the payoff. Sitting outside dining is great, (is it a coincidence the "Great Outdoors" is aft.). And the views at night are simply hypnotic, peaceful and almost spiritual. You can sit in almost perfect darkness. No bridge lights to contend with.

I have cruised aft a few times and am booked again in the aft.

Donna - your comments here and in other threads helped me come up with an even better solution yesterday. With the current perks offer, a price drop on suites, and extra OBC for Alaska that expired yesterday, I got in just under the wire and moved our aft mini to your aft penthouse. I was excited to hear that 9076 was available!

This way, I get to keep the aft position, keep two rooms on the cruisetour portion, and still experience the suite life as the kids can come join us for in-suite breakfast since they would not be able to come to Il Adagio with us. Our PCC assured me that we could all check-in and board together as we were a family and on the same booking.

So thanks for all your insights and I'll take good care of your suite :)

I have another question abut the owners suite vs aft suite. We are aft folks ourselves and agree with many comments about the aft suites sailing on the STAR and the Spirit in them. Which is better for South America? Would the owners suite be too rough/windy?

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Donna - your comments here and in other threads helped me come up with an even better solution yesterday. With the current perks offer, a price drop on suites, and extra OBC for Alaska that expired yesterday, I got in just under the wire and moved our aft mini to your aft penthouse. I was excited to hear that 9076 was available!

This way, I get to keep the aft position, keep two rooms on the cruisetour portion, and still experience the suite life as the kids can come join us for in-suite breakfast since they would not be able to come to Il Adagio with us. Our PCC assured me that we could all check-in and board together as we were a family and on the same booking.

So very happy for you! If Mr. Brian Walters is the Hotel Director on your cruise you will be in good hands!

Here's a short checklist/hints:

1. Ask for extra chairs for your balcony on the first day for guests, if there are only 2, like we had. It helps.

2, Use DVD player in living room for music. With balc door ajar you can hear on balcony.

3. Be sure to use the jacuzzi tub at least once. Heaven.

4. Bring duct tape for shower doors. May rattle and even swing open being noisy.

5. There are two thermostats. We did not discover this right away. Haha.

Enjoy! And please be sure to come back after your cruise and let us know if it was everything you hoped for.

And thanks for the kind words.

I have another question abut the owners suite vs aft suite. We are aft folks ourselves and agree with many comments about the aft suites sailing on the STAR and the Spirit in them. Which is better for South America? Would the owners suite be too rough/windy?

I was aft (9076) for South America and it was perfect!

Oh, just know that the aft PH's do not have a dining table. But we managed.

I was aft (9076) for South America and it was perfect!

Thanks. I thought I had read that u said that somewhere.

What time of year did u go?