So I gave a few crew members a little extra tip...

N41EF

Was on Dream the week after my tax return came back and I decided to share a little extra pixie dust with the crew. Each day I picked a crew member who was doing their job with a smile or just doing a little extra and gave them cash.

We had the envelopes that we distributed to the dining room staff and our steward on the last night, and they also got a little extra because they took very good care of us.

I believe the crew splits tips somehow but this was cash to an individual.

The first day onboard we were in the Quiet Cove and there were several kids who kept coming in and out to see their parent. I understand kids sometimes need to see the parent, but this was a little much. The crew member that was "the towel guy" in quiet cove quietly came over and whispered to the mom. Ten minutes later the kids came running in again, Mom stopped them, whispered something to them, and they left. Never saw them again. I slipped the towel guy a $20 bill and told him that I appreciated his tact. For the next few days, he smiled and greeted me when we came to the adult area, kids walked through with parents but none loitered.

We had lunch in Cabana's day two and there was a crowd. One of the ladies bussing table just had a huge smile on her face. She bused and whiped tables and just had a great attitude. As she cleaned a table next to us she asked if we were enjoying the day and just beamed. When we got up to leave she appeared at our table and again wished us a great day. I slipped her a $20 and she blushed and tahanked us.

Another day an usher at the theatre upper level port side struck up a conversation with us. A theatre major in college, working on board trying to get in with the production side. He was just a good kid who enjoyed his job. As we elft the theatre he aproached us and asked how we enjoyed the show. We chatted a minute, and I gave him a $20 as we left. When he realized what it was he beamed!

Not sure if I would call it paying it forward or what, but alot of the behind the scene people maybe don't get as much recognition. I made it a point to stick a $20 in my lanyard with my room key, and find someone during the day to give it to who did a good job. I also made an effort to be pleasant with every crew member I came in contact with. It was only an extra $80 total beyond what I tipped the steward and dining room staff, but I felt good bout it. Also tipped the Cabana steward at Serenity Bay, he was more attentive then I could believe.

Does anyone else do anything for the crew?

Edited by N41EF

Sure, lots of people make a point of doing little extras for the crew. There are a couple things you should know. First, if you offer/give cash to someone who is in a "non-tipped" position, they are required to turn it in and it is donated to a charity. If these people keep a tip and are found out, they can be fired for it. SO, cash is great for tipped positions (servers, bartenders, cabana hosts, stateroom hosts) but not for entertainers, stage crew, etc.

Things I've seen/heard of--bringing bags of individual candies and dropping them at guest services with a request that they be given to the "fill in the blank"--engine room crew, entertainment tech crew, etc. Some people bring something like small candies on board and give them to the "yellow jumpsuit" gang when they are seen around, etc. Asking your stateroom host or other CM if he/she would like any leftover laundry products that you don't want to drag home (they have to buy their own).

What you don't want is to give them "stuff." Their quarters are very small and they really can't store the stuff they may be given.

As to sharing tips...the 15% standard bar gratuity is pooled and divided among all bar staff. Any additional you add goes to the person who served you. Other tips (those charged for server, asst, etc) go to those individuals in the amount you specified. The tip included with the surcharge at the adult restaurants is divided among the servers, any additional goes to your server.

We do this sort of thing all the time.

On the non-financial side, especially on longer cruises or if you are doing a back to back, ask your cabin steward or other staff of choice if there is anything you can get for them onshore. They do not have a lot of down time.

Sure' date=' lots of people make a point of doing little extras for the crew. There are a couple things you should know. First, if you offer/give cash to someone who is in a "non-tipped" position, they are required to turn it in and it is donated to a charity. If these people keep a tip and are found out, they can be fired for it. SO, cash is great for tipped positions (servers, bartenders, cabana hosts, stateroom hosts) but not for entertainers, stage crew, etc.

Things I've seen/heard of--bringing bags of individual candies and dropping them at guest services with a request that they be given to the "fill in the blank"--engine room crew, entertainment tech crew, etc. Some people bring something like small candies on board and give them to the "yellow jumpsuit" gang when they are seen around, etc. Asking your stateroom host or other CM if he/she would like any leftover laundry products that you don't want to drag home (they have to buy their own).

What you don't want is to give them "stuff." Their quarters are very small and they really can't store the stuff they may be given.

As to sharing tips...the 15% standard bar gratuity is pooled and divided among all bar staff. Any additional you add goes to the person who served you. Other tips (those charged for server, asst, etc) go to those individuals in the amount you specified. The tip included with the surcharge at the adult restaurants is divided among the servers, any additional goes to your server.[/quote']

I do the same thing Mommy....Gave $20.00 to a bartender one night on the Epic. The next night he said 'thank you for helping me and my family'. Wow did I feel good. Love to make even a little difference.

I never thought about leaving the extra laundry products! That is a great idea and I wouldn't have to worry about it spilling in my suitcase!

"Costumes" are supplied and cleaned by DCL. The CMs are responsible for their own off duty clothing and undergarments. They have relatively little off duty time and little access to things on shore (they do get some time off in port and there is a crew bus to Walmart or Target in most major ports, but of you have to work on changeover day.....) Sure, they can purchase products on board, the same overpriced way we can. But I don't want to drag home the stuff and they are (or act!) delighted to have it.

Another thing we've done on longer cruises is to organize a "book swap" group. Bottom line, anything left on the second to last day of the cruise was donated to the crew library. When not in an organized fashion, I've placed "finished" books on the library shelf on the Magic and Wonder for another guest to enjoy. Unfortunately, the Fantasy did not have a library shelf at the time we cruised.