Would you take a suite over an aft D1 balcony on Vision class?

Well, now this RCI newbie is going to have to look into the benefits of getting a gold card. I'm assuming it's the color of the Seapass (or whatever RCI calls it) card that gives you extra perks because you're in a suite?

I'm not willing to pay extra for the JS but it's nice to know we'd get double points if we did get a free upgrade, even though it wouldn't make a difference for us for a long, long, time, if ever.

You don't get a gold card in a junior suite; only double points. Grand Suites and higher get the gold cards.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

While your chances are low anyway, go for the upgrade if offered. The only way I would turn down an upgrade would be if I´m in a midship balcony and offered an aft Suite.:eek:

To me the aft. rooms are the worst on the ships and once when it was all left at time of booking I changed my cabin frequently to get away from it, including paid more downgrades.

we booked our first Royal Caribbean cruise, a transatlantic, and have 7654, an aft D1 with an oversize balcony. .... But DW says she'd be happy with a standard balcony, and I'm wondering if we shouldn't accept an upgrade to a junior suite for the extra room, if offered. ....since the D1's would appear to be in demand, .... Another consideration might be if we'd get a port side cabin-- north side eastbound, so not as much sun, might get a bit chilly in April, might not be worth the risk.

Any thoughts or comments would be appreciated!

G'morn! Thought I'd voice my two cents.... Note I've left excerpts of you're quote above. Are these your most important criteria? I'd also like to ask what other ships/lines/cabin types you have sailed in the past since this is your first RCL cruise? I experienced a JS port, and D1 port and JS aft on my 12 day b2b2b on Vision last Nov.

The aft balconies are glorious! I would book one again in a heartbeat. Having breakfast from room service is incredible on the balcony, full size loungers to lay on/read/nap etc. I never experienced soot or noise like some others have posted (I was on refurbished Vision). Unreal views, especially when in ports. I was always a big believer of interior cabins for cost as I am always top deck... but this cabin changed my mind. Aft balconies are so very different for me over any "regular" side balcony by a mile, including the JS balcony.

The biggest difference will be size of room. The D1's on Vision are cozy. If you do not experience a JS you wouldn't know the difference. The JS's interior are excellent size, lots of room, a larger sitting area, and a full bath with tub (rather than small shower in D1). If the inside space of a room, because you spend a lot of time in your room, is important to you then the JS should likely be your target. Since it's your first time on RCL, the Crown & Anchor points system probably doesn't matter to you, so many CC'ers answering to you here would likely take that upgrade in a heartbeat for the double points (I may also, I'd have to think about this one... 14 day TA = 28 points on a JS!!!!!)

You've said you wish to spend time on your balcony, so it doesn't sound like you're a total "inside" person. If I were in your shoes, I would not accept the upgrade... the aft balcony blew me away and I spent almost all my time while "in" my room on that balcony, couldn't get enough and helped make my cruise extremely memorable and special.

If you accept the upgrade, be very very careful... I was upgraded on my first leg of my b2b2b from a D1 to JS. The JS was the farthest back of the ship on the port side (Vision JS 8086 if you chk deck plans). The balcony was 1/2 obstructed!!! Did not spend any time whatsoever on this balcony, a total waste. I would be royally (no pun intended) pissed to have been "upgraded" from an aft D1 to this specific JS :eek::p

Well, now this RCI newbie is going to have to look into the benefits of getting a gold card. I'm assuming it's the color of the Seapass (or whatever RCI calls it) card that gives you extra perks because you're in a suite?

I'm not willing to pay extra for the JS but it's nice to know we'd get double points if we did get a free upgrade, even though it wouldn't make a difference for us for a long, long, time, if ever.

Lets be clear -- you don't get double points if you are upgraded to a JS; only if you PAY for the JS.