Latitude Platinum members and the Ultimate Dining Package

TrumpyNor

I am just curious to hear from any Latitude Platinum members who have cruised after NCL introduced the Ultimate Dining Package fleet wide, and who have purchased the UDP.

Both my husband and I are Platinum members, meaning that we EACH get a complimentary dinner for two with wine at Le Bistro. That means two dinners for two in a specialty restaurant already "covered". We usually have most of our dinners in various specialty restaurants on board, so at first I thought the UDP was a great offer. But then I started doing the math - on our upcoming cruise in June we will stay on board for 7 nights. Two of those nights specialty dinners are already included in our Latitude status, so we only "need" a package for the remaining five dinners during the cruise. Seems a bit unfair if we have to pay for 7 dinners per person..... That means that Platinum members save less (if anything) compared to everybody else who purchases the UDP? Or am I misunderstanding something here...?

I was wondering if any other Platinum members have been in contact with NCL regarding this. Seems to me like the correct thing to do might be to sell the UDP with some sort of discount to the Platinum members, but I would like to hear what other Platinum members think about this.

Edited by TrumpyNOR

NCL has published information regarding Platinum members. Each member gets a $20 discount on the cost of the UDP to account for the "free" meal they receive. If you read the terms and conditions of the package you will find it there.

NCL has published information regarding Platinum members. Each member gets a $20 discount on the cost of the UDP to account for the "free" meal they receive. If you read the terms and conditions of the package you will find it there.

Thank you very much - I really appreciate that you took your time to tell me. :)

I just logged in to my ncl-account, and read the conditions, and I don't see it written anywhere regarding discount for Platinum members.

http://www.ncl.com/udp/faq

I just logged in to my ncl-account, and read the conditions, and I don't see it written anywhere regarding discount for Platinum members.

I'll go look for it, I read it yesterday.

Found it:

T&C's for entertainment, dining etc.

Ultimate Dining Package

The Ultimate Dining Package is available via pre-sell or onboard purchase on days 1-2 of the voyage only. On 3-day sailings, the package is only for sale on day 1. No refunds are available if fewer restaurants are visited. The Ultimate Dining Package is non transferable. A la carte priced restaurants and Ocean Blue are not included in the Ultimate Dining Package, but will be discounted 20% for those purchasing the package. Carlo’s Bakery items, Ice Cream Bar, Gelato, 24/7 Pizza Chef’s Table is not included in the Ultimate Dining Package. The UDP does not include beverages. No Kids pricing, package available for guest 13 and older. Excludes all 1- and 2-day sailings. Includes add-ons in Le Bistro such as Fruit de Mer, Lobster and Cote De Boeuf. The package does not apply to Special Occasion/Holiday menus (New Year’s, Christmas, etc). Latitudes Platinum Guests will receive a $20 discount on the Ultimate Dining Package (as they receive 1 complimentary dinner in Le Bistro). Additional main courses in Cagney’s and Le Bistro will be charged at $10.00.

Hope this helps!!

Edited by rvsullivan

The UDP FAQ is not the same thing as Terms and Conditions. You can find the discount for platinum here: http://www.ncl.com/terms/shorex-dining-entertainment-spa#dining

I'll go look for it, I read it yesterday.

Found it:

T&C's for entertainment, dining etc.

Ultimate Dining Package

The Ultimate Dining Package is available via pre-sell or onboard purchase on days 1-2 of the voyage only. On 3-day sailings, the package is only for sale on day 1. No refunds are available if fewer restaurants are visited. The Ultimate Dining Package is non transferable. A la carte priced restaurants and Ocean Blue are not included in the Ultimate Dining Package, but will be discounted 20% for those purchasing the package. Carlo’s Bakery items, Ice Cream Bar, Gelato, 24/7 Pizza Chef’s Table is not included in the Ultimate Dining Package. The UDP does not include beverages. No Kids pricing, package available for guest 13 and older. Excludes all 1- and 2-day sailings. Includes add-ons in Le Bistro such as Fruit de Mer, Lobster and Cote De Boeuf. The package does not apply to Special Occasion/Holiday menus (New Year’s, Christmas, etc). Latitudes Platinum Guests will receive a $20 discount on the Ultimate Dining Package (as they receive 1 complimentary dinner in Le Bistro). Additional main courses in Cagney’s and Le Bistro will be charged at $10.00.

Hope this helps!!

Thank you VERY much - I really appreciate the information! :)

The UDP FAQ is not the same thing as Terms and Conditions. You can find the discount for platinum here: http://www.ncl.com/terms/shorex-dining-entertainment-spa#dining

Thank you for the information. :)

I was logged on to my ncl-account, and read about the dining package, and there it was a link for "Terms and Conditions", and when I hit the button it forwarded me to the link I mentioned above (FAQ). That's why I was a bit confused.... :p

How do you get the $20 discount if you are a Platinum? I attempted to book this for me and a friend who is Platinum but the charge was the same for each $149 each

Good question!

For how many days is your cruise? Mine is 7 days, and the price for the UDP that comes up is $119,00 per person. That might be a discounted price, since we are both Platinum, but I am not certain if it comes up automatically with the correct price (but it probably does....).

Does anyone know what the regular price is for the UDP for 7 days?

Thank you! :)

Edited by TrumpyNOR

Thank you for the information. :)

I was logged on to my ncl-account, and read about the dining package, and there it was a link for "Terms and Conditions", and when I hit the button it forwarded me to the link I mentioned above (FAQ). That's why I was a bit confused.... :p

You are very welcome. Looks like rvsullivan and I found the same info at about the same time.

Good question!

For how many days is your cruise? Mine is 7 days, and the price for the UDP that comes up is $119,00 per person. That might be a discounted price, since we are both Platinum, but I am not certain if it comes up automatically with the correct price (but it probably does....).

It's $119 for 7 days.

Good question!

I believe the price is $119 pp.

I don't think the on-line system is able to account for platinum discounts. Personally I would call NCL and order it that way to get the discount or if I have already purchased it, I would call to get the discount or do it once I am on the ship either via the concierge if in a suite or via guest services if not.

I believe the price is $119 pp.

I don't think the on-line system is able to account for platinum discounts. Personally I would call NCL and order it that way to get the discount or if I have already purchased it, I would call to get the discount or do it once I am on the ship either via the concierge if in a suite or via guest services if not.

I agree - that is a better way of doing it to make certain that we get the discount.

But isn't the Platnium benefit dinner for TWO in LeBistro with a bottle of wine? Seems to me that the $20 discount is at least $32 short of what the benefit is worth ($20 dinner+$12 wine). Or am I missing something?

Edited by Clay Clayton

But isn't the Platnium benefit dinner for TWO in LeBistro with a bottle of wine? Seems to me that the $20 discount is at least $32 short of what the benefit is worth ($20 dinner+$12 wine). Or am I missing something?

You are correct.

That was my analysis as well and the reason why my family of 5 Platinum members will not be purchasing the dining plan. Two of dinners will be free with lots of wine.

Edited by Zimomiller

However Platinum members get a dinner for TWO people per Platinum member. Plus a bottle of wine. Both parties are Platinum that's TWO dinners for TWO with TWO bottles of wine.

Not sure it really pays.

Not to mention if anyone is a CAS member depending on their level they also get a comped meal for TWO with a bottle of wine.

For me....since my roommate is also Platinum that's THREE comped meals for the two of us plus THREE bottles of wine. With only 4 other days the $20.00 discount wouldn't pay....at least for us.

Harriet

Edited by hpecorari

The UDP is pretty silly. Not a bad deal for 7 nighter,but if your cruise is 10 nights, you pay$3 a day more than you would on the shorter cruise. It costs the same for a 12 night cruise as for a 10 night cruise, so you get two more specialty dinners without any extra cost. The most ridiculous comparison is that it is $50 more per person for a ten night cruise than a nine night cruise and there is no restaurant on the ship that comes close to that price for one meal. Usually packages cost less than a la carte reservations, but unless we eat at Cagney's every night, we wind up ahead without it.

I agree - that calculation is made just counting ONE of the persons in the cabin as Latitude Platinum members. And actually the wine selection they offer with the Platinum complimentary dinner is quite good, and if we had to pay the wine ourselves it would be around $30,00 per bottle.

So I have made my decision - on upcoming cruises we will just do what we have always done; pay the regular cover charge for the specialty restaurants for the remaining nights. ;)

On our next cruise I am also hoping to get a chance to join the Norwegian Chef Dinner again (we have done it a couple of times earlier and loved it) - and that means of course one more night that we wouldn't take "advantage" of the package.... :p

Edited by TrumpyNOR

Won't you still get the wine? I would assume if you show up at Le Bistro (or an allow substitute) with your Platinum free meal certificate, they'd give you a complimentary bottle off the Platinum wine list.

Even assuming you do get your bottle(s) of wine, the discount seems a bit small. A Platinum couple gets two dinners for two. For us that is worth more than $20 per person. Still, I am glad they are giving some discount to Platinums.

I did not buy the UDP on our recent cruise.

The $20 discount still does not make it worth it for Platinum member to buy the UDP.

Each member gets a dinner for 2 which equates to $40 each visit. That means two night in LeBistro, leaving 5 night to take advantage of the UDP.

UDP is $119pp with a discount of $20. So, $99pp for a total of $198 divided by 5 nights come to $39.60 per night. With most of the restaurants averaging about $20pp that is a savings of of about $2.00 for the week.

It is nice that NCL thought about a discount for Platinums, but they did not do nearly enough to make it worth while.

Once again loyalty is getting snubbed.

Won't you still get the wine? I would assume if you show up at Le Bistro (or an allow substitute) with your Platinum free meal certificate, they'd give you a complimentary bottle off the Platinum wine list.

Even assuming you do get your bottle(s) of wine, the discount seems a bit small. A Platinum couple gets two dinners for two. For us that is worth more than $20 per person. Still, I am glad they are giving some discount to Platinums.

I did not buy the UDP on our recent cruise.

Good point about the wine but afraid I have to agree with ya. I just calculated that if we odd the UDP on our 19 day cruise, that the average price for the 17 meals would be just over $15 pp. Since we have some favorite dishes in the MDR and I truly enjoy dining at the Great Outdoors when the weather is nice, we wouldn't get our money's worth either.

Good question!

Going on a 9 day caribean cruise a year from now and will be charged for $149 each but stil do know how to get the $20 plat, discount

Going on a 9 day caribean cruise a year from now and will be charged for $149 each but stil do know how to get the $20 plat, discount

Like somebody else suggested earlier, you might have to contact NCL directly to get the correct price, since the price on MyNCL shows ordinary prices for everyone.... :)

Edited by TrumpyNOR