Checking a cooler with porter??

coolestwife

Ok....sorry this has been done to death, but I just need to get some filtered responses on this....

Can you check a hard sided cooler with your regular luggage (taped and tagged with luggage tag)? People have mentioned this but not too specifically....just want to know if this would be considered weird by the porters at Long Beach or by the Carnival employees who distribute luggage to rooms....:confused:

We've done this many times on airline flights but have never done it on a cruise. I suppose if the airline doesn't care, the cruise line shouldn't either. Personally, we prefer to put our cooler in a duffle bag so we can use the duffle bag later on for dirty clothes at the end of the cruise. When we leave, we put all of our souvenir's and breakables in the cooler and carry it off ourselves. This has worked out for us pretty good.:)

We've checked coolers and even a 24 pack of soda. Both have made it, no problem. Nancy

Was it a hard sided cooler? A 24-pack of soda?!?!!? all by it self??? not covered or any thing??? WOW.....i would never think that would make it!:eek:

We've checked large hard cooler filled with soda, water and beer. Duct tape well. No ice (room steward will do it for you). No questions or second glances. The cabin next to us had several cases of water, cardboard bottom and plastic wrapped, just cabin and name on the outside. Some advice...cooler not gently handled. No glass inside, and we lined ours with a giant heavy trash bag and tied well after loading. had 2 cans explode. It contained in the trash bag. If you carry drinks in suitcase, also place in trash bag (heavy duty) just in case........

When you say checked... is this at the airport or just when you board the ship?:confused:

I'm just talking about the ship...not sure about airport....we live about 45 minutes from Long Beach so we've always sailed from there..

Also, would any one have a suggestion on how to keep glass bottles of beer safe in the cooler? I know it would be difficult but since we're beer snobs, we don't drink the stuff in cans!;)

I'm just talking about the ship...not sure about airport....we live about 45 minutes from Long Beach so we've always sailed from there..

Also, would any one have a suggestion on how to keep glass bottles of beer safe in the cooler? I know it would be difficult but since we're beer snobs, we don't drink the stuff in cans!;)

You could put a thick blanket in there and make sure each bottle is wrapped tightly. Or get some packing peanuts, styrofoam or that packing foam stuff that comes in a spray can.

Archived