Should I Dare?

IMKTDQT810

We are sailing the Pride this May. My son will be missing his last week of school due to not having school in the end of Dec/most of Jan so they extended the school year. Due to that (and extending school to the max yet it will not be 180 days) next 2014-2015 school year they go from Aug 11th to May 27th BUT it can be extended until the END of June. So the ONLY month we can go on vacation (to be on the safe side of not missing days) is July.

I know myself and I will want to book as soon as I get back...but DH is hesitant about vacations in general. So here is where I dare or not....do I book the same ship next July (it is due for dry dock this year) and surprise them ON the cruise this year of next years sailing?

Looks like I can get Early Saver (Isn't that the one that if the price drops I would get a credit or do they take it off the balance due)?

SO....do I dare? Would you dare? I could even book the same exact cabin but the different itinerary then we are doing this time. I was hoping the Norfolk news today would have given me the option of July. MD is a 5 hr drive, VA 7 hrs the prices of NY in July are just too steep plus that is a 8 hour drive.

Gosh it is so tempting to do....but would you dare?

Just keep in mind that Early Saver has its own set of restrictions and penalties. No name changes, non refundable deposit, and $50pp penalties.

Only you'll know if it's worth it when there's some uncertainty up in the air.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Book It! Book It!! Book It!!!

Seriously, if he missed the last bit of school, talk to them. They can get it excused or make it an "educational field trip experience." I have 4 kids and trust me, when I say, they will be in school when the bell rings but when it comes to vacations, we have to plan around the "cheaper fare" times..

I hope you have a great cruise!

DH is hesitant about vacations in general. So here is where I dare or not....do I book the same ship next July (it is due for dry dock this year) and surprise them ON the cruise this year of next years sailing?

SO....do I dare? Would you dare?

My apologies in advance if I sound like a bit of a party pooper and if my post seems a bit harsh.

You mention that your husband is hesitant about booking vacations, yet you want to surprise him by booking the same exact vacation on the same ship and even on the same cabin MORE than a year out, before you even know how much you're even going to enjoy this cruise, and on top of that you want to lock yourself in by booking Early Saver?!? What if they DONT want to go on the same cruise two years in a row? What if the school year ends on time and you are locked in on the more expensive date?

Only you know your husband and your family's likes, which obviously may be different than mine. But if I surprised my wife with a similar scenario, she'd be less than thrilled. Just knowing that I locked us in on a vacation that far out without any input from her would probably be cause of an argument instead of the excitement that I may have envisioned.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by Tapi

I would be the devil's advocate also.

There is obviously a reason why you want to surprise your husband. I have a feeling he might not be pleased. Vacations are nice but not always affordable and need to be well thought out.

Thank you all for the comments, suggestions and input.

Yes, I am impulsive and yes, some of you are right about DH who might be mad at me ON this cruise for booking a next and would be ruining our only vacation THIS year. Not worth doing that!!!!

SO...I'm going to feel it out and see how this one goes. Once we are back a few weeks I'll mention the one next year and see what input I get out of him.

Thank you all for the comments, suggestions and input.

Yes, I am impulsive and yes, some of you are right about DH who might be mad at me ON this cruise for booking a next and would be ruining our only vacation THIS year. Not worth doing that!!!!

SO...I'm going to feel it out and see how this one goes. Once we are back a few weeks I'll mention the one next year and see what input I get out of him.

I would not book yet. When you are on the cruise, if all is going well, you could possibly book the next cruise while you are on this cruise and then you would also get extra onboard credit for the next cruise. We recently did this, with circumstances similar to yours, and I booked a military rate so there would not be any penalties for canceling, changing, etc and will change it to early saver later (if still available) and still be eligible for the price drops. We did change our dates already, but the OBC transferred with us. Oh, and we also got 2 vouchers so that if any friends or family went with us they will also be entitled to get the extra OBC.

I just booked a cruise about 18 months out without discussing with my wife in advance. My PVP called with the info and I wanted to lock in a good cabin. I booked with Past Guest rate, which is fully refundable up until final payment. You may want to use a refundable rate until you tell your husband. You can always change to Early Saver from Past Guest once you tell him (I believe Early Saver rates are available up till five months before the cruise date).

Edited by M&T ReadyToCruiseAgain

I just booked a cruise about 18 months out without discussing with my wife in advance. My PVP called with the info and I wanted to lock in a good cabin. I booked with Past Guest rate, which is fully refundable up until final payment. You may want to use a refundable rate until you tell your husband. You can always change to Early Saver from Past Guest once you tell him (I believe Early Saver rates are available up till five months before the cruise date).

^^THIS!

And book it ON the cruise and get the extra $100 OBC for booking a 7 day cruise while on a cruise. Make sure you can pay the deposit though.