Rock of Ages

cperk97

I have not seen the Broadway version. I have only see the pg-13 rated Movie. Does the ships version follow the movie? I'm just trying to understand the suggestion that it's not for kids. Based on the knowledge I have of Rock the Ages I am having a hard time telling my kids they will not be able to attend. I would love to hear what you all have to say regarding it. Thank you.

It doesn't follow the movie exactly. I think a lot of it would depend on how old your kids are and what kind of parent you are. Personally, I wouldn't bring my 11 y.o., but a lot of that is how she is and how we are. Some people's 11 y.o. it might be ok.

Remember - the difference with the ship's version is it is "live" and "real people". There are simulated sex acts and there is basically a lap dance scene on the stage. Lots of language and lots of adult content. It is right there in your face. There were kids in the performance that we went to. I felt awkward for them (they seemed 8-10) and it was WAY old for them (in my opinion, but I am not their parent).

Edited by TaraMatt
added the word exactly ;-)

Only a few minutes into the show I said to my self "ohh ok that's why it's not for kids" ...

Like the other poster said, it all depends on what kind of parents/kids your family is...I am not the most conservative parent and I would not want my under 13 kids to come to this show.

Worst case scenario, book 2 shows. One for only the adults at the start of the cruise and one for the whole family at the end of the cruise, if you find the play to be suitable for your kids then go..if not just cancel your reservation.

Have fun !

It doesn't follow the movie exactly. I think a lot of it would depend on how old your kids are and what kind of parent you are. Personally, I wouldn't bring my 11 y.o., but a lot of that is how she is and how we are. Some people's 11 y.o. it might be ok.

Remember - the difference with the ship's version is it is "live" and "real people". There are simulated sex acts and there is basically a lap dance scene on the stage. Lots of language and lots of adult content. It is right there in your face. There were kids in the performance that we went to. I felt awkward for them (they seemed 8-10) and it was WAY old for them (in my opinion, but I am not their parent).

Agree 100% It's not for children.

As a matter of fact my SIL and I were talking about why the parents brought their children there when it was announced many times that it was not appropriate for children.

::shrugs:: to each their own......and i shouldn't judge.

Harriet

This is a call that I think any parent needs to make for themselves, but having seen both the movie and the show, I will NOT be allowing my 12-year-old daughter to watch the show when sail Breakaway as a family in August. Like the previous poster mentioned, there are simulated oral and other sex acts (including with an "animal"), lap dancing, stripping, lots of adult language, etc.

When I saw the show on Breakaway last month, I was surprised how many kids (even under the age of 6) were in the audience. Some left part way through, while others stuck it out. I was uncomfortable with the kids being there, but who am I to judge?

I took my 11 year old daughter least summer and she loved it! She loved the music, dancing and the whole theatrical production....but then again...the shows are her favorit part of a cruise.

I was warned beforehand that it wasn't much for children. I made the decision to allow her to go and I don't regret it. The "simulated" sex scene wasn't all that bad (I'm sure she's seen worse on cable). What was over her head, was over her head. What she picked up on...she laughed at.

I'm a different kind of parent I suppose, I don't shield my kids from much and i'm not "prudish". It may depend on the maturity level of your child. There are a couple "F" bombs.

Rock of ages is about sex drugs and rock and roll! I will not be attending it again on our next cruise with the kids. Not only because of the sex, but I also don't think they'd enjoy it very much. The music is before their time and it's based from a time period they don't know much about and may not get or care about. The story is somewhat slow going at points and I don't want to waste time watching something for the third time only to leave in the middle :) that's just my thoughts!

This is a call that I think any parent needs to make for themselves, but having seen both the movie and the show, I will NOT be allowing my 12-year-old daughter to watch the show when sail Breakaway as a family in August. Like the previous poster mentioned, there are simulated oral and other sex acts (including with an "animal"), lap dancing, stripping, lots of adult language, etc.

When I saw the show on Breakaway last month, I was surprised how many kids (even under the age of 6) were in the audience. Some left part way through, while others stuck it out. I was uncomfortable with the kids being there, but who am I to judge?

Nothing really surprises me with parents these days to be honest.. It is really sad to see..