Farming in South America

GrannyBees

We are sailing into Valparaiso, Chile on the Infinity on December 20th. We are beekeepers and are interested in setting up a tour of local farms and beekeeping places. Is there somewhere to arrange for a tour. Celebrity won't even talk to me about it and sent me here for some advice. Does anyone have experience setting up your own tours in a foreign country, or is it even possible?

Edited by GrannyBees

Arranging private tours in ports is not hard. The biggest concern, especially travelling out of town, is to be back on the ship before it sails. If your private tour is delayed for any reason the ship will NOT wait. It is your responsibility to get to the next port.

The next job is to find a private tour operator who understands your interest, has the contacts to make it work and is prepared to make the effort when there are hundreds of Infinity passengers wanting a drive around the city, the vineyards and a seafood lunch.

You can search the posts on this board for recommendations for tour operators in Valparaiso. Trip Advisor (http://www.tripadvisor.com) is another good source. Go to its Valparaiso travel forum. If you like the reports, make contact. Most operators don't expect to be paid till you start the tour.

I understand your request. My husband is a farmer, likes to talk farming so I look for tours that let him kick the dirt and chat to another farmer. It's not easy and more difficult where we don't speak the local language. No problem if you speak Spanish.

Can you make contact with Valparaiso beekeepers through international beekeeper organisations or affiliates of US groups? If you can present a tour operator with a list of places you want to visit it, might be easier.

Good luck, I hope you enjoy your trip.

• 2 weeks later...

Did it in 2009, but are peanut farmers! Just so happened the VP of Amadas Peanut Combines was at their store in General Dehaza at that time. We flew into Cordoba, he picked us up and took us to General Dehaza, it was wonderful and very interesting. He took us back to Cordoba four days later and we flew to BA to go to Iguazu Falls for two days before going back to BA, flying to San Paulo and leaving the next day on the cruise. You might just look up beekeeping in that area to get an idea.