Questions for any Cunard cruisers

Nanny2Trey

We are taking a short little 5 day Independence Day cruise on Cunard. I've been reading their board and am wondering wht we've gotten into. They really seem vocal about their dress code. I'm not sure I have appropriate clothing for the day let alone for formal night. I usually wear crop pants during the day. Most of my clothes come from Chico's as a frame of reference. Does this sound ok? I wear this on Celebrity and never feel out of place. Don't feel like dressing up more in th July heat. Just wondered what others have experienced. I'm still debating if I'm lugging formal wear as we are spending a few days in NY and don't want to exceed luggage limits. I won't try to go to dining room that night though. Thanks for any input.

Linda

Hi Linda,

I have been on nine Cunard cruises, including one of Qm2's Independence Day cruises. Don't worry about the day time dress code. What you describe will be more than satisfactory. Being that this is a short cruise and comprised of mostly U.S. cruisers, you will find day time dress will be very casual.

As for formal night, please consider taking at least a cocktail dress or pants and a fancy top, which will be more than formal enough. Not being dressed at least to this standard, which I think applied to the majority of women on the cruises I have been on, will require you to confine your activities to the King's Court and the Winter Garden for the formal evening, according to the Daily Program. Missing out on the wonderful atmosphere that exists in the public areas of QM2 on formal evenings would diminish the experience of sailing on the QM2!

The most important thing to remember of the Cunard dress code is that men are required to wear a jacket each evening in the dining rooms.

Enjoy your cruise and don't stress about what to wear.

Nancy

Hi Nanny2Trey,

Your query strikes a cord for me and brings back a memory...

We dined with a lady from Virginia-- in 2009-- on a 28-day voyage on the QM2, who brought attractive and practical (for packing) formal-night clothes--ALL (she told me) from Chico's. I remember she had a beautiful wrap, or two, which added color to a simple, long black dress, worn on more than one occasion. ….She looked lovely. Mostly, I remember what an interesting conversationalist she was and what a pleasant person.

Tasteful doesn't mean necessarily expensive. Tasteful has to do with fit and how well a particular style looks on someone.

I've noticed outfits chosen for Cunard ships tend to be less "flamboyant"--maybe--than some clothes seen on some other cruise lines. My impression is that British women tend to pick out subdued dresses (maybe black). Men, in general, tend to wear tuxedos, although it isn't unusual to see some dark suits in the Britannia dining room as well.

You will see an abundance of costume jewelry, but again, I think "tasteful." You also will see some ladies with "the real thing."

I agree with CruiseBelle: Have fun and enjoy yourself!

We are trying our first Celebrity cruise in a few weeks and are excited to find out why Celebrity has such great reviews on CC. I hope you enjoy your Cunard experience.

All said - I sailed Cunard three times and wore always exactly the same as on board Celebrity ships- evening it is always a jacket- that´s right. All in all it makes for a nice elegant cruise experience! I love Cunard´s ships! Those wrap around prommenade decks alone are worth sailing with them! LOL!

Linda,

I agree with all of Nancy's comments. Celebrity is our cruise line of choice, but we have done 3 Cunard trips. (2 on Queen Mary 2 and 1 on Queen Elizabeth)

During the day in July, there will be many ladies dressed as you have described.

On formal night, there is a beautiful elegance to the experience of dining and especially dancing. Of course my DW and I appreciate this more than most because we love to dance, especially on those huge (by cruise ship standards) ballroom floors.

Even if you opt to not participate in the formal thing, you have a great ship to look forward to. The Queen Elizabeth is my favorite cruise ship and the Queen Mary 2 is beautiful, too. You didn't mention which ship you will be on.

I tell my friends that I wish Cunard would sell their ships to Celebrity. I have been told that the S class ships are not designed with dancers in mind. I will find out when I take the Solstice to Alaska in June.

Enjoy your trip. Jerry of Jerry and Lady Kathryn