Port of long beach garage

sanmarcosman

Here's a copy of an email I just sent to the Board of Commissioners for the Port of Long Beach. We waited 39 minutes in our car with the motor running to exit the garage after the cruise because one of two parking attendants was on their lunch break during the time when both departing and arriving vehicles were using the parking garage.

If you have similar complaints you may Google the Port of Long Beach and email them and I encourage you to do so. here's my email:

"At 10:58:44 on March 20th, 2014 I waited in line with my car motor running to exit your cruise terminal parking facility. During this wait I witnessed two driver's exit their vehicles and void their bladders on concrete pillars in the garage! There was only one parking attendant on duty because the second attendant was on their mandatory lunch break. I assume these positions are unionized and as such management needs to suck it up and pay for another worker to come in and cover breaks and meal periods for the other attendants. Hang the cost, I paid $17 a day for the privilege of parking and it is shameful and disgraceful for the POLB management to cause families to wait overly long wait times to exit the garage and to have us witness public urination and drivers leaving their vehicles on line unattended with motors running.

You have a broken labor scheduling situation in the garage that must be fixed ASAP.

I look forward to hearing back from the Board.

A way to avoid the long line at the parking structure--don't park in the structure. Park in the regular parking lot. You pay as you leave the complex, staying to the left. Only one line but not as many people use it.

Could park at Union Station and take the Blue line to the Passport bus. We take public transportation for most of our cruises out of Long Beach.

Edited by SadieN

I had the same experience of a very long wait to pay and exit the parking structure. However, this was 7 or 8 years ago. At the time a private company operated the parking garage (IIRC, Ampco). Are you sure POLB operates the parking and not a concession? If it's a concession you should contact them too...otherwise it's like writing to LAX airport management about bad service at Starbucks in a terminal.