Ever pack anything you don't plan on bringing home?

mrsd912

I've got a few items that I was thinking of packing to use during the cruise (i.e. collapsible hamper with broken handles and older undergarments), but then not bringing them home with me leaving instant room in the luggage for souvenirs. Does anyone do this?

I thought I had read about some people doing this, do you just leave the stuff in your cabin on disembark day? How do you get rid of the stuff?

Thanks in advance!

You might want to tell your room steward. My husband brought a pair of shoes for formal night. He realized that they really hurt his feet, so he put them in the garbage can. Well, next morning he found them in his closet. So, he put them in the garbage can, again. You guessed it...he found them in his closet, again! So, now we mention it to the room steward if we don't want something returned.

I go so far as to take almost empty shampoo, conditioner and toothpaste with me so I don't have to pack it home. If our soft sided cooler starts to leak, it stays. I've left wine and DH abandoned his snorkel set one time. We always make sure to take the trash out so the steward isn't stuck cleaning out our mess but we have also offered unopened bottles of wine to the steward. We always fly and my luggage is always heavier going than coming home!

You might want to tell your room steward. My husband brought a pair of shoes for formal night. He realized that they really hurt his feet, so he put them in the garbage can. Well, next morning he found them in his closet. So, he put them in the garbage can, again. You guessed it...he found them in his closet, again! So, now we mention it to the room steward if we don't want something returned.

Too funny!

Thanks everyone, looks like there's no problem sticking with my plan!

I've got a few items that I was thinking of packing to use during the cruise (i.e. collapsible hamper with broken handles and older undergarments), but then not bringing them home with me leaving instant room in the luggage for souvenirs. Does anyone do this?

I thought I had read about some people doing this, do you just leave the stuff in your cabin on disembark day? How do you get rid of the stuff?

Thanks in advance!

So who are you leaving your old undies for souvenirs? :D

I read that wrong! lol

Edited by airraider

Too funny! I bet cabin stewards do see a lot of odd things. Isn't it amazing how they try to take such good care of us?

I've bought cheap sand toys from the Dollar Store and Wal-Mart for my kids to take to the beach at various ports, and then, upon leaving the beach, given the toys to a local child or left them with the beach bartender to give to whomever he so chooses. He said he knew some kids that would be happy to have them.:) Very little money spent (about $4 total), my kids got to play with the toys while we were there, extra room in the luggage coming home, and another child gets gifted practically new toys. A win, win, win situation. I'll continue to do this as long as my kids are still in the 'sand toy age range'.:D

Best to toss them in a trash can in a public restroom. :D

Once I had a bathing suit our room steward refused to let me throw away. No matter what or how many times, it would be there nicely folded each time. :rolleyes:

LuLu

~~~

Best to toss them in a trash can in a public restroom. :D

Once I had a bathing suit our room steward refused to let me throw away. No matter what or how many times, it would be there nicely folded each time. :rolleyes:

LuLu

~~~

That's why the trashcans are in inaccessible places, like under the chair.

I'm sure things have fallen into the can by mistake and thrown out by the Ninja Steward.

Many times I over pack and have lots of things to leave behind. The clothes come on board with extra room I usually bring an old suitcase. When the cruise is over I usually jam all the dirty stuff in one case. If don't need the extra, I ask the room steward if they would like the suitcase. The suitcases are usually the old kind w/o wheels.